Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 12 July 2009
i'm a big fan of JO Brand and also used to be a psychiatric nurse. i found this book funny and well written. you can't help but feel sorry for the daughter who feels only Morissey can understand her predicament, and also the husband trying to cope with his wifw Gina who has the mental ilness. you find yourself laughing then feeling guilty for laughing at the whole surreal situation. but i found it accurate as to how frustrating, funny and emotional mental illness is to both the patient and the family.
on 17 June 2009
It's the first book I've wanted to read all through in a long while. It's a lot like the great teenage books that are around , but for grown ups!. I am the same age as Alice and have been taken back to my youth in a mostly lovely nostalgic way.I was and am a big fan of Morissey, but after reading this book a bigger fan of Jo Brand. Hope more are on the way!.
on 5 June 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a bit slow to start but then it races along in very entertaining fashion. I was also surprised and delighted with the ending because I couldn't see how she was going to finish the story satisfactorily. But she did it brilliantly and with a superb flourish!

However, I think Jo's editor needs to to sort out a couple of the glaring anomalies before it comes out in paperback. The 'coupling' takes place in the sitting room and yet later on there's a mention of it having happened in the bedroom. See also page 146 where Alice's name miraculously changes to Gina and then back again. And somehow at one point Alice is first 19 and then suddenly 18 years old. Tut, tut - it's the editor's job to spot this kind of thing! (I know I'm being pedantic but when you read the book in one sitting as I did, you tend to notice that kind of thing).

A great read, though. Well done, Jo.
on 21 October 2009
I was given a signed copy of this book for my birthday. I am not a big fan of Joe Brand humour,I certainly would not watch her stand up routines, but I do not mind her as a person. Summed up by her words on the flyleaf of my copy " I don't like you either Love Joe Brand". The book started with great promise but fizzled out towards the end. I rather got the feeling that Joe was being pressurized to finish the book by the publisher, so the ending was rushed and ill thought out, It did not come together properly for me. All in all I was disappointed as I had expected more than I got. Not sure if it would encourage me to read any of her other works.
on 15 April 2015
I really wanted to like this book as I usually like Jo Brand and her humour very much. However, this book was hugely disappointing! The characters were so under-developed, cardboard. The only part of the book I enjoyed was the end. However, it was so completely random and did not align with my impressions of what the characters have done.

It is a novel about mental illness, growing up, and celebrity obsession but, the description of mental illness, if it is to be humorous must be dealt with delicately and with sensitivity. There is none of this here.

The story is about Alice’s family, tucked away in a cottage in the deepest part of Herefordshire, England. It is more than a bit weird. Her mother, Gina, suffers from a mental illness. She is obsessed with the weatherman on the local news, and when she climbs onto the roof naked with her daughter’s pet guinea pig in her arms, she is whisked off to the local psychiatric hospital. Keith, Alice’s father, tries to keep calm, but his patience is being severely tested by his in-laws, whose behaviour terrifies the community.

Alice is convinced she needs five personalities to cope because a mother-daughter reconciliation seems impossible. At this point, the stage may be set for even more heartbreak than Alice can imagine.

I wish I could tell you that I enjoyed this book, but I did not. I cannot recommend it.
on 23 June 2011
I really enjoyed this book and as a born and bred Herefordian, I can say that the characters were all spot on! (In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say I lived near some of them...)

I think that the biggest mistake that people could make when buying it is thinking that because it's by Jo Brand, the comedian, it's going to be side splittingly funny from start to finish. I personally look at this book as being by Jo Brand, the ex-mental health nurse-turned comedian which is precisely why I bought it-I wanted an accurate portrayal of a serious subject, from someone who knows what they're talking about and can write about it without cheapening it and misinforming people.

Having worked with people with mental health difficulties, it certainly can have its funny moments (preferably where you laugh with, not at people!) but overall, it can be very sad and poignant and I think that this book handles it well and realistically.

I wish that there were a few more books like this, so that more people can learn about the impact of mental illness and perhaps learn to treat it with more understanding, rather than ignorance and fear.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2009
I read 'The more you Ignore me' in two days, i couldn't put the book down. It's one of those books where you have no clue what's coming around the corner, it kept suprising me time and time again.
The characters are likeable, it's funny, sad at times and even quite eye opening!
Yep, i loved it...and ya know, i think i may become a Morrissey fan now!
on 17 June 2015
Not a book to read before trying to sleep (especially if you share your bed) as there's so many laugh out loud funny bits that leave your tummy aching. Touching, thoughtful, far fetched (or maybe not!), so very very funny - fabulous holiday read. Was a bit worried to recommend this book to my partner who, I think, is a 'real book' person. When we swapped Kindles on holiday I was tickled to hear the tears of laughter, I kept asking "which bit are you at now" so I could join the fun. We both loved it, full praise to Jo Brand, what an imagination and a superb story teller - I'll certainly be looking for other books of Jo's.
on 26 November 2009
I like Jo Brands humour, but it is not translated into this book. It has all the literary merit of a story one may expect to find serialised in a teen magazine. Indeed it reads like it has been written by some precocious pubescent under the covers by torch light, this would at least excuse the glaring continuity errors. The manuscript would surely never have made it past a publishers post room had it not been for the celeb name upon it. I urge all half accomplished writers staring at rejected offerings not to read this published turgid prose, it will only add to the feelings of injustice.
on 31 October 2010
Another really good book from Jo Brand. An amusing yet thought provoking insight into mental illness and the effects it has, not only on the sufferer but also on their family and friends. Jo turns a subject that is difficult for most poeple to talk about into an amusing though sometimes sad situation. Mental illness should not be all 'doom and gloom' and sufferers kept behind closed doors. Found this book really difficult to put down as it captures ones interest from the first chapter.