5.0 out of 5 stars A really entertaining read!.
It's the first book I've wanted to read all through in a long while. It's a lot like the great teenage books that are around , but for grown ups!. I am the same age as Alice and have been taken back to my youth in a mostly lovely nostalgic way.I was and am a big fan of Morissey, but after reading this book a bigger fan of Jo Brand. Hope more are on the way!.
Published on 17 Jun 2009 by L. Burnett

3.0 out of 5 stars very witty
Published on 12 July 2009 by Michelle Storey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars very witty, 12 July 2009
Michelle Storey "jakey" (lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Hardcover)
i'm a big fan of JO Brand and also used to be a psychiatric nurse. i found this book funny and well written. you can't help but feel sorry for the daughter who feels only Morissey can understand her predicament, and also the husband trying to cope with his wifw Gina who has the mental ilness. you find yourself laughing then feeling guilty for laughing at the whole surreal situation. but i found it accurate as to how frustrating, funny and emotional mental illness is to both the patient and the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really entertaining read!., 17 Jun 2009
L. Burnett "Creative" (The Highlands) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 5 Jun 2009
Jane Mack "Jane Mack" (West Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a bit slow to start but then it races along in very entertaining fashion. I was also surprised and delighted with the ending because I couldn't see how she was going to finish the story satisfactorily. But she did it brilliantly and with a superb flourish!

However, I think Jo's editor needs to to sort out a couple of the glaring anomalies before it comes out in paperback. The 'coupling' takes place in the sitting room and yet later on there's a mention of it having happened in the bedroom. See also page 146 where Alice's name miraculously changes to Gina and then back again. And somehow at one point Alice is first 19 and then suddenly 18 years old. Tut, tut - it's the editor's job to spot this kind of thing! (I know I'm being pedantic but when you read the book in one sitting as I did, you tend to notice that kind of thing).

A great read, though. Well done, Jo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits every emotion!, 12 July 2009
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Hardcover)
I read 'The more you Ignore me' in two days, i couldn't put the book down. It's one of those books where you have no clue what's coming around the corner, it kept suprising me time and time again.
The characters are likeable, it's funny, sad at times and even quite eye opening!
Yep, i loved it...and ya know, i think i may become a Morrissey fan now!

3.0 out of 5 stars The More You Ignore Me, 21 Oct 2009
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Hardcover)
I was given a signed copy of this book for my birthday. I am not a big fan of Joe Brand humour,I certainly would not watch her stand up routines, but I do not mind her as a person. Summed up by her words on the flyleaf of my copy " I don't like you either Love Joe Brand". The book started with great promise but fizzled out towards the end. I rather got the feeling that Joe was being pressurized to finish the book by the publisher, so the ending was rushed and ill thought out, It did not come together properly for me. All in all I was disappointed as I had expected more than I got. Not sure if it would encourage me to read any of her other works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Best Ignored, 26 Nov 2009
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Hardcover)
I like Jo Brands humour, but it is not translated into this book. It has all the literary merit of a story one may expect to find serialised in a teen magazine. Indeed it reads like it has been written by some precocious pubescent under the covers by torch light, this would at least excuse the glaring continuity errors. The manuscript would surely never have made it past a publishers post room had it not been for the celeb name upon it. I urge all half accomplished writers staring at rejected offerings not to read this published turgid prose, it will only add to the feelings of injustice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Who is this for?, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Hardcover)
As a Morrissey fan, and a stand up comedy fan, I bought this with great expectations (the feeling not the book).

I really wanted to like and had to force myself to read it after three or four false starts. I got to about page 150 and I think it's time to call it a day.

It's a very basic story with little creative use of language which seems to just be going through the motions. My biggest problem is I don't know who this is aimed at?

I suspect it isn't aimed at twentysomething men but it appears to be targeted solely at teenage girls in the 80s, a hard demographic to reach.

I don't think there is an audience for this book and it's a shame because it promised so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 18 July 2012
This book is an absolute must for fans of Ms Brand , and if they have the good fortune to be Morrissey fans - all the better! Top read for the beach if you don't mind strange looks when you laugh out loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Realistic Read, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and as a born and bred Herefordian, I can say that the characters were all spot on! (In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say I lived near some of them...)

I think that the biggest mistake that people could make when buying it is thinking that because it's by Jo Brand, the comedian, it's going to be side splittingly funny from start to finish. I personally look at this book as being by Jo Brand, the ex-mental health nurse-turned comedian which is precisely why I bought it-I wanted an accurate portrayal of a serious subject, from someone who knows what they're talking about and can write about it without cheapening it and misinforming people.

Having worked with people with mental health difficulties, it certainly can have its funny moments (preferably where you laugh with, not at people!) but overall, it can be very sad and poignant and I think that this book handles it well and realistically.

I wish that there were a few more books like this, so that more people can learn about the impact of mental illness and perhaps learn to treat it with more understanding, rather than ignorance and fear.

5.0 out of 5 stars The More You Ignore Me, 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: The More You Ignore Me (Paperback)
Another really good book from Jo Brand. An amusing yet thought provoking insight into mental illness and the effects it has, not only on the sufferer but also on their family and friends. Jo turns a subject that is difficult for most poeple to talk about into an amusing though sometimes sad situation. Mental illness should not be all 'doom and gloom' and sufferers kept behind closed doors. Found this book really difficult to put down as it captures ones interest from the first chapter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The More You Ignore Me
The More You Ignore Me by Jo Brand (Paperback - 7 Jan 2010)