5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!
This is the first book by Jo Brand that I have read and a break away from my usual reading matter. I was in for a pleasant surprise.
I too grew up in the 70's and was able to empathise with the character Rachel, a shy, 13 year old, totally in awe of her new found and very pretty friend Susan.
The friendship appears to be an odd one coming as they do from very...
Published on 8 May 2005 by Judith Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read
Having enjoyed Jo Brand as a comedian I was very much looking forward to reading this. I felt the blurb was accurate but unfortunately found the novel itself to be somewhat of an anticlimax.

Published on 15 Feb 2007 by Miss Sc Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 8 May 2005
The friendship appears to be an odd one coming as they do from very different backgrounds, but you soon realise that the families they come from are not as perfect as they first seem.
The novel is laugh a loud funny, especially the sexual fumblings that take place, but it also has a serious edge.
This novel is very funny, sad and poignant all at the same time. There is a twist to the tale that will keep you glued to the last page.
If you too grew up in the 70's you will love this book and it will bring back many memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Different for Girls, 2 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: It's Different for Girls (Paperback)
I loved this book. I'm not the sort of person who will finish a book as I tend to get bored and put a DVD on instead, but I was engrossed in this one. It wasn't overly eloquent or fussy, which put's me off most novels when the authors can't write from their charachters perspective. It was a teenagers view of life and describes the way they are so focussed on themselves and the world hating them. It may help some stuggling parents of awkward daughters to remember what it's like being an adolecent of any era. It might help some of those awkward daughters relaise what their parents have been through too.

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, 15 Feb 2007

Though I did find myself giggling out loud at times, it simply wasn't the riot I was expecting it to be. It seemed to be chick-lit of the most basic kind, which is great if that's what you're after, but I felt it lacked the dry humour typical of Brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars funniest book ever, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: It's Different for Girls (Paperback)
i have read this many times and bought for a friend who like me grew up in Hastings in the 70's

4.0 out of 5 stars funny and easy read!, 9 July 2012
This is a very light and easy read. Reminds me of my own teenage angst!

Made me laugh out loud at times :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very uneven follow-up to Sorting Out Billy, 5 Jun 2005
I enjoyed Sorting Out Billy and so was looking forward to Different for Girls. But if you were one of those who thought that Sorting Out Billy was just a bit too amateurish, then I think you will struggle with this one. To be fair, after a shaky start [where Jo Brand doesn't seem to be sure why she is writing the novel, other than at the request of her publisher / agent] the plot does get into its stride and the characters start to bud a little [they never really blossom]. There are some good set pieces, but told in a slightly breathless manner that detracts from the potential humour. The end of the book is, to say the least, a stretch of the reader's tolerance. I'm not giving anything of the plot away when I say that when one character conveniently remembers that he has some money stashed away in a bank account because 'he couldn't think what to spend it on' [this being an art student], you just say to yourself, "Oh for goodnes sake, can't you do better than that!?".
So, on balance - worth a read, one for the beach, but you won't be too bothered if you find you've left it behind on the sunbed when you've finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 5 Jun 2005
I am only 16 and i had this book as a gift for my birthday and i hadnt realy heard much about it so i didnt have high expectations. But i was shocked when i started reading, its a brilliantly funny laugh out loud book, heart warming and deffinatly keeps you wanting more!!Once piked up you cant resist to find out whats in store next!Reccomend this book to anyone but would advise parents that itz not 4 children under 11. Saying that if you don't mind your children reading about teenager sex and swear words then deffinatly go ahead and buy it, then read it yourself!

1.0 out of 5 stars what twist??, 21 July 2006
Ms. H. Irwin "bookley" (hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Different for Girls (Paperback)
i didn't like this book. i bought it cos jo brand is funny, but she is just not a good writer! the book was slow and i kept realising i just wasn't taking in the long dull descriptions it is full of! it hasn't even got a proper storyline! and people have said it has a twist???? don't hold your breath! sorry jo...

2.0 out of 5 stars are better books in this genre out there, 14 Jan 2006
This review is from: It's Different for Girls (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim, had vaguely heard of Jo's first book. Turned out to be an ok read but I felt Ms Brand was floundering in places, the 70's with their punk-rock scene seemed a bit contrived (if you want a far superior example of 70's punk-rock anarchism try The Glass Mountain by Martina Evans) and even the ending and chapters all seemed *contrived*. I could see what was going to happen, ie Rachel's mother have an affair, Susan eventually get bored with her sensible boyfriend etc... It was a nice calm read and full of facts on Hastings but not what I would have expected from someone of Ms Brand's calibre. Disappointing but I suspect teenagers will like this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jo ..forget the pen ...get back on the stage, 9 Sep 2007
J. Ferguson "JohnF" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Different for Girls (Paperback)
Such a disappointment ...I was looking for that dry humour that she delivers so well on stage and instead you get this really slow meaningless tripe.
The only memory it brought back for me of teenage years was school essays ..this read like one!

2/10 for effort ...stick to a career on the stage Ms Brand.

It's Different for Girls
It's Different for Girls by Jo Brand (Paperback - 2 Jan 2006)
6.39