5.0 out of 5 stars Another lost weekend ...
Whenever a new Penny Vincenzi comes out I lose a weekend, totally engrossed in it and the good news is she's done it again.

As usual the plot twists and turns with a mystery at its heart; the fact that I correctly solved the mystery this time by a quarter the way through in no way spoilt my enjoyment. Finding out if I was right and how it would unfold made for...
Published on 20 Mar 2005 by Booklover

2.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely bad- but far from riveting
Sadly, I have to concur with the previous two negative reviews. Whilst I couldn't say that the book is a total bore, unlike any of Penny Vincenzi's previous books, it totally failed to engage me. The characterisation was a confusing hotch-potch of British politics (yawn), unlikely foreys into journalism and medicine. None of the characters were remotely believable. Nor...
Published on 11 Aug 2005 by M. Simmons-Lackner

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars The average trashy novel, 10 Mar 2006
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
Well I can't say I hated this book. I picked it up in a hostel while travelling and this was one of a limited selection, and was 700 or so pages long so I thought it would keep me going.
I think this book could have easily been written in 300 pages (or less), it takes waaay too long to finish, I wasn't up at midnight dying to know what was going to happen next - I did some very basic deductions and had figured out the 'mystery' about a quarter of the way through the book.
At this point I would like to say how much I disliked the character Nat and I couldn't understand why all the other characters apart from Jim found him so adorable. And Jocasta started off okay, but after a while she just came across as a neurotic, selfish and temperemental alcoholic. I think the best developed character was Clio, being the only person in the whole book that I didn't cringe at every now and then.
The reason I decided to give this review two stars rather than one is because, like I said, I didn't HATE it, I found it tolerable to read and I did manage to finish it. Only something that repulsed me beyond the ability to finish the book would receive one star.
All in all, a very average trashy novel, but if that is what you want - look no further.

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, 21 Feb 2006
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
overall i think that sheer abandon is an entertaining read.
the plot has plenty of twists to keep you guessing and just as you think youve solved a mystery another clue comes up that will change your mind completely.
however it isnt a bedtime reading book as you have to really concentrate as the book switches between several characters and its easy to muddle up storylines.
the only real fault that i could find was that vincenzi seemed to forget her own thread at times. eg.kates hair is blonde but at one point describes her as a brunette.
this was the first book i have read by vincenzi and i am very much looking forward to picking up another!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ms Vincenzi - How could you?, 4 May 2005
Mrs J McDiarmid (Largs, Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Hardcover)
As a reader who has devoured all of Ms Vincenzi's books, Sheer Abandon, was a huge disappointment. The characters were irritating rather than interesting and the story bland and boring. The story was painfully strung out and could have been written on a 2 page magazine spread. Desperately disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thinking of abandoning reading it!, 6 Aug 2007
K. Collins (Jersey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
I have read all Penny Vincenzi's previous books and have been 'saving up' this one as a special treat! I'm about 100 pages in and, although I have only ever abandoned reading two other books in my life, I'm seriously wondering whether to waste any more of my time on this one. I am fed up of reading about her personal views of the terrible state of the NHS and the government - I'm not the biggest fan of either but really don't want it constantly being rammed down my throat when I'm trying to escape from the real world by reading a novel.

Really disappointed by this one - hope she returns to her usual form for the next one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing, 30 Jun 2009
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
Although this was by no means a bad book it certainly wasn't nearly as good as some of her others like Wicked Pleasures and the Spoils of Time Trilogy. These books are incredibly wonderful. I have read them several times. The plot in this book was just so incredibly obvious. Even I guessed who the father was and I almost never have a clue as to mysteries in books. The characters were a bit boring. Hopefully, she will produce some more great books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too long, 22 Mar 2006
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
I agree with most of the other reviewers that this book was far too long for such a boring story, the idea of which was good to start off with but had none of the glamour and excitement I expected. It was also far too "politically correct" - the only character I really liked was the glamourous 60-year old Jilly, who in my view should have had the 23-year-old lover instead of the boring, uptight Martha!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Disppointment, 24 Jan 2006
Josie A (Gosport, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
I love Penny Vincenzi's books, and was so looking forward to reading this one but what a disppointment - it was so boring! I only got about a quarter of the way through and abandoned it - the story wasn't holding my attention, so I kept losing the thread - others she has written are so much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Right Riveting Read!, 2 April 2008
Lal (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
This was my first Penny Vincenzi book and it certainly won't be my last. I was a bit worried that the politics side of it would be too heavy going for me (not being very knowledgeable in this department), but she actually made it easy to understand the goings on within 'The House', and actually quite enjoyable.
Although it was quite easy to work out who the parents of Kate were going to be, it was a good storyline and really well written.
Definitely recommended and my next job is to read the reviews to determine my next Penny Vincenzi book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Um ... boring ..., 21 Jan 2006
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
This is a very long book and I stuck it to the end, expecting a very large twist .. there wasn't one.
The characters, while well thought out were ones I found hard to relate to or even to like. The story was just mulling along and never really evoked much emotion from me at all. I wouldn't recommend reading this book. If you want romance, intrigue, plot and a twist at the end - read a susan lewis book. You can't go wrong with them, unlike this little bad egg that took me a whole 4 weeks to finish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment unfortunately, 3 Feb 2006
This review is from: Sheer Abandon (Paperback)
How can an Author go from so amazing (Trilogy) to so dull? Of course, I was expecting something as fantastic as the Trilogy, the descriptions and language used in them were romantic and seemingly very accurate for the time they were set in. But British Politics?? Geriatric Medical Care?? A ridiculous named reporter?? I too found it very hard to like a single character, apart for the glam gran Jilly Bradford. Her son in law was pathetic. Not for me I'm afraid!! Bring back Celia!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Sheer Abandon
Sheer Abandon by Penny Vincenzi (Paperback - 10 Oct 2005)