5.0 out of 5 stars a perfect Bridget-Jones detox...
Published on 25 Feb 2004 by AS,

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing the point?
Having read the previous reviews here, I have come to the conclusion that I am missing the point of 'Jaded'. I know it is a cliche, but I actually felt jaded after trying to get through this. Admittedly, I gave up quite early on. What I did read, I found to be in the similar vein to Ben Elton and I have always struggled with those.
Just not for me.
Published on 17 July 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars a perfect Bridget-Jones detox..., 25 Feb 2004
AS, (Sarajevo) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jaded (Paperback)
If you're a fan of lightweight "30-ish about London" but are getting sick of "Sad Girl finds Lurve" literature, this is for you - it acheives an unusual mix, being simultanously a deliciously improbable "gang-of-mates" novel yet is often very tense and edgy: the pages will melt away with the speed of your poolside holiday cocktails. The characters are well portrayed, if in a few cases slightly over the top, but I particularly liked the scene-setting and could literally smell the crisp-yet-dusty dawn in the Maroccan desert and later the sweaty, nervous testosterone of the surging Paris crowd.
Sure to be a popular holiday read for a wide audience this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick escape!, 13 May 2004
This review is from: Jaded (Paperback)
It is very easy to dismiss this book as yet another ode to being 30something and wandering where the years have gone. i found it a little difficult to start but soon found it to be a slow burner in that once I had my teeth into the plot i found i wanted to keep going to find out how it all ended. OK so the plot may have been a bit far fetched at times but aren't we all looking for some esacpe from the toils and tribulations of modern life? Jaded will give you that brief escape - it has humour and intrigue in bucket loads. Baseline this book is not pretending to be anything else other than a damn good read and i always thought that this is what reading should really be about - fun!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read that doesn't insult your intelligence, 13 May 2004
This review is from: Jaded (Paperback)
Although a person that thinks Saramago is a god and has Proust next on the to do list, I also have a strong desire to read chit lit and trashy magazines. My problem is that every time I read the novel which is meant to be the "next Bridget Jones," I am highly disappointed and feel wronged for having purchased it.
Not Jaded. Jaded is a fun, easy read whose characters, whilst possibly slightly over the top, are inherently likeable. It may not win the Booker, but it's far better than the vast majority of similar fiction, and I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing the point?, 17 July 2004
Just not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Summer's Top Read!!, 16 May 2004
C. Crain (Amagansett, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jaded (Paperback)
I don't know what book the first reviewer on this list was talking about... I LOVED THIS BOOK! It's warm, witty, and I couldn't put it down. The strong plot kept me guessing until the end. The writing style is fresh and fun; the characters even more so. Ms. Hawking is a hot new talent. This is most certainly the best book to pack on those bank weekends or beach holidays. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this, 13 May 2004
This review is from: Jaded (Paperback)
This book is an absolute riot, I loved it. Read it in one day and giggled like a loon the entire time. Fantastically escapist, beach read perfection but original too, haven't read anything quite like it - has a cracking plot and lovely characters, and frankly just cheered me up. What more can you ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of life�s pleasurable roller coaster rides, 13 May 2004
This review is from: Jaded (Paperback)
I picked up this book having no idea what to expect, and was surprised at how enjoyable and engaging it is. Elements of William Gadget's struggles with the corporate world will be utterly recognizable to anyone who has had the pleasure themselves of swimming in a sea of sharks. As for his love life, who can't help but fall in love themselves with Williams' attempts to snare 'the one that got away' (... or did they?! )
Supported by a cast of strangely familiar and hence comforting characters, this novel is one of life's pleasurable roller coaster rides from start to finish. The weird and wonderful opening chapters set in Paris set the scene well for the high drama to follow in pretty much all areas of William's life.
One of those gems of a book that sits somewhere between the chick lit and highbrow shelves. Intelligently written, humorous and gripping, a real treat. Oh and a great read on the tube!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best middle of the road read of the year!, 14 May 2004
This review is from: Jaded (Paperback)
This wonderfully, youthful book is "The Best middle of the road read of the year!" Tasting the differing flavours of the author's life experiences are peppered all through this book. We can recognise someone we know in all the characters, and escape into the scenes which become almost tangible. This is a Great and Easy Escape!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 9 Oct 2004
This review is from: Jaded (Hardcover)
This was one of those books that in the beginning you wonder what it's all about, but from halfway through you have become so engaged that you can't put it down. Persevere with this one, it's well worth it. Such a bizarre collection of characters that blend so wonderfully to come through for each other. Shows you can rely on your mates!

Jaded
Jaded by Lucy Hawking (Hardcover - 3 Nov 2003)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 weeks