4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly subtle
I'm not normally a big fan of Jo - I can find her humour sometimes a little too close to the bone. Sorting Out Billy however is much more subtly funny and very realistic. The sarcasm is still evidence, but its more an ironic view than acerbic.
Overall a very good read genuinely funny in places, but genuinely reflective in others. I'd definitely recommend it.
Published on 17 Sep 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorting out Billy
Published on 10 April 2005 by tusmenaru@yahoo.co.uk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorting out Billy, 10 April 2005
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
I was quite looking foward to reading Jo Brand's first novel. But I found it to be slightly repetitive with regards to Flower's stand up routines and her subsequent downfalls. The chracters didn't feel rounded and by the end I still didn't feel connected with any of them. I did find it easy reading however - finishing it in a weekend, so maybe this is one for a weekend away or a long train journey.
I liked the style of writing and some parts were enough to produce a laugh out loud, I hope Jo continues to write because I think she could write something so good. I will definatley give her next book a go - fingers crossed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly subtle, 17 Sep 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing book, 17 Mar 2011
Kathryn A. Gillespie (Frankfurt Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
When I had finished this book the only thought that was in my head was that this should be made into a film. I could almost cast actors for the different characters so vivid were my impressions. I loved this book and did laugh out loud frequently. I agree with other reviews that say that this book is written in typical Jo Brand style but I think you would still find this book funny even if you are not a big Jo Brand fan.
Some reviews have stated that the plot is thin on the ground but I think that the whole point of the book is that it is about a group of people set over a short period of time and that IS the plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable., 15 July 2006
Paul Russell (Stapleton, nr Darlington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
A very enjoyable book, with some laugh-out-loud moments, with a bit of a surprise at the end.

Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars You can tell this was someone's first book, 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
I got hook up with Jo Brand after reading "It's different for girl" but was very disappointed reading "Sorting out Billy". You can tell this was her first book as it has a stand-up comedy style with lots of jokes but not really go well with a boring and no-way-out story. I wouldn't recommend this book but strongly recommend all the other books of her. I love her style and her books, just not this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing and easy read, 30 Mar 2008
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
'Sorting Out Billy' is essentially a novel about the friendship between three women; Martha, Flower and Sarah. When I say friendship, I mean realistic friendship where you can equally love and be irritated by someone, rather than the romanticised version of friendship found in most novels. All women are going through change in their lives; Martha is about to give birth; Flower is trying to make it as a stand-up comedian; and Sarah is in a tempestuous relationship with Billy. But, when Martha and Flower find out that Billy has hit Sarah, this is when they decide that something must be done....

I think some of the other reviewers have been unnecessarily harsh about this novel. There are some great observations and very humorous passages (I loved the 'altercation' on the night bus!) and it's a nice easy read.

I look forward to reading something else by one of the best female comedians of her generation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and easy to read, 16 Jan 2009
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
Really funny book, written in the typical Jo Brand style, so if you like her humour you'll love the book. Easy read, many aspects of which you can associate with yourself!! So funny in parts I burst out laughing. Well worth a read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where was the plot?, 14 April 2009
C. Floodgate "chazney" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Hardcover)
This book was absolute rubbish. There were several storylines that completely dissapeared and none of the characters were developed at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorting out Billy, 5 May 2006
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Paperback)
I really liked this book. It was very funny at times and made me laugh out loud!

I don't agree with some of the comments that the characters were not rounded I think you got to know them pretty well.

I hope she writes another book soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jo debut is impressive!, 18 May 2004
R. W. Barnett "talkshowchris" (West Bromwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sorting Out Billy (Hardcover)
Jo Brand is on of Britain's quickest wits on stage but has finaly decided to bless us with her novel writing skills. This is a well observed story of love against all odds and struggles with life's problems. Many moments are 'laugh out loud' funny and will keep you reading on until the end, probably in a couple of sittings.
The skill that she has for developing characters is very impressive as they read true despite their struggles and situations. An ESSENTIAL READ this summer!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sorting Out Billy
Sorting Out Billy by Jo Brand (Paperback - 17 Jan 2005)