5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read
Suggs loves life (and London). He has lots of enthusiasms, like clothes, music (of course), footie, pubs and eccentrics; all featured here. The book is full of fascinating facts and funny stories, and is well written in Sugg's own inimitable style. Highly entertaining.
Published on 7 Sep 2009 by J. Burton

3.0 out of 5 stars Suggs chats about London
I had hoped for a little more about things I dodn't know about, I thought the selections were too obvious. But certainly it gave real colour to some familiar stories.
I read it while relaxing next to a pool but didn't bother bringing it back with me.
Published on 28 Sep 2009 by Mr. Daniel Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 7 Sep 2009
J. Burton (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suggs and the City: Journeys through Disappearing London (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love London?, 16 Sep 2009
Woody (Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
If you were born and/or lived in London read thia book. It may bring back happy memories of loved ones, places, buildings, tastes and events. It did me. The book will have a section(s) no matter what your interests are. Not a Londoner? then learn some of its more modern history and the frightening changes that are happening now.
A well written and entertaining read. Some more please Suggs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pulse of the City, 9 July 2010
Fraser the Frank Fish "paul m" (Benfleet) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In response to N Sayers negative review, I wouldn't argue with any of the points made, but would say that I don't think that this book is intended as a factual historical text on London, it is a softer retrospective on London and how it has changed in our life times, not just the buildings but the the feel and the pulse of the city, and how the constant flux of people create an ebb and flow which is the current of London.

Being originally from Camden myself, and knowing many of the haunts and one or two of the characters in book, it did set me thinking about how London has changed from when I was young up to the point I left in the early 90s and onto now, and how my life might have been different if I had stuck around.

Pretty thought provoking stuff, but I can understand that if you have no emotional attachment and are looking for a historical precis or a tourist guide then you may feel like you've picked up the wrong book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOOK ,ONCE YOU OPEN IT ,YOU CANNOT CLOSE IT, 28 Aug 2009
This is a very informative book ,here,Suggs tells you all about London.The city where he grew up from a tender age.Suggs tells the memories he has of playing at various venues from the banks of the Thames to the huge American Stadiums.The book also explains all about the history of London ,from the early days to the present day ,all told from the eyes of Suggs .This book is a must for any Madness fan.Once you pick up this book you cannot put it down,until you have read the last page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, Suggs, 2 Oct 2009
D. Robinson (Cambs, UK) - See all my reviews
In Leicester around 1980, I was performing the `Nutty Boys' walk around my front room to the strains of Madness's `Absolutely' album. This may not seem unusual, except that I was already 32 (my two year-old daughter joined in, but my wife carried on knitting). I then blinked, and found with a jolt that almost thirty years had fast-forwarded past. We find that Lord Suggs McPherson, who had been a mere youth in the Grey Days of Embarrassment, is now approaching 50, a bit of a luvvie and a candidate for Dictionary Corner on Countdown. However, since he is here linked with another of my favourite topics - the seamier, more atmospheric side of our capital city (I now "live" less than an hour's train ride away in Cambs) - it would have been churlish of me not to sample this title.

This book is written either in Suggs's own "inimitable" style, or in the way we might expect him to write, laced with metropolitan witticisms - I suspect a little of both. If he wrote all of it (rather than a ghost writer and/or his editor having hefty input) I'd be pleasantly surprised, particularly as the book seems to go hand-in-glove with the TV series `Disappearing London'; so I have to assume that much of the research was done by a team connected with that programme (which, I'm abashed to state, I have not seen; but the DVD is due out next year and I intend to buy it. If it proves me wrong, I'll come back on here and say so). There are also odd inconsistencies where the prose drops back into what I rashly assume was the Nutty one's original typed version.

The references to Madness's `Norton Folgate' album make me think that this book is part of an advertising and marketing package, so rife these days. The flow is sometimes a little disjointed, lapsing into interviews with Amanda Barrie and Stephen Fry, which again smack of TV; but these are not followed up consistently with similar meetings later in the book and, frankly, I could have done without these two. Yet I can't complain, as my own taste is disjointed, preferring the socio-cultural aspects of GMcP's trawl (such as the super-green Colony Room Club, which I wish I'd seen when it was open) to the history of Stamford Bridge, say (but even that has interesting pointers on historic architecture).

This book scores a 4 for the nature of its content, prompting me to sniff out some of the central locations. Thanks, Suggs (even if you do support CFC!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable, humourous & interesting read, 12 July 2010
S. Sinclair - See all my reviews
Great book by Suggs. Written with his lovely chatty & funny manner, it's partly a personal journey for him, but also full of unusual weird & wonderful facts. I personally found it interesting too as I went to all the same haunts as Suggs albeit 10 years later & know most of the places mentioned very well. So it reminded me of all the fun I had in these venues in my youth too. I love Suggs too. I'm not particuarly a huge fan of Suggs through his music although I do like Madness, however whenever I've seen him presenting TV or on radio, he's so completely natural, down to earth & very funny & likeable without trying too hard and this definately comes over in the book. I read it all in a day & evening. Highly recommend this book to all those interested in a lighthearted trip down memory lane in London. However if you are looking for a serious history textbook on London this is not your book, but that should be obvious from the start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ol' London Town..., 20 May 2014
A wonderful read reminiscing about places so familiar to so many. Suggs has a very raconteur way about his writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars TV, 6 Dec 2013
First saw Disappearing London on Sky TV, then the book came out. A very interesting read. Even got Suggs to sign it for us when he appeared at the local theater - Talking about his new book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 7 Nov 2013
If you want to know about the formative years of Sugg's Life or the history of London and the huge variety
of stores music halls Public Houses that he knows then this is a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suggs at his best, 17 Sep 2013
Simply a joy to read. If you know London this embelishs your existing knowledge.I have enjoyed this book and will read it again.

Suggs and the City: Journeys through Disappearing London