Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2014
Plus points - it's a good guide to your baby and the things he/she may be doing at each month, gives a good developmental guide, can't fault it for that. It does fit its description.

Negative - don't lynch me but I found it written in a way that was ALL about the baby - what the baby wants/needs/should have/can expect - and what action you should take in order to deliver it. How if you find it difficult you should persevere because the baby must have what he/she wants at all times and the DofH/WHO backs this up - made me feel a bit of a failure before I'd started. Of course the baby is the most important thing but I was looking for some reassurance and advice so BOTH of us were happy if it didn't all go to plan. Made me feel like I'd go to a Mums' Group with a big smile plastered on my face and then come home and cry my eyes out because it wasn't really working out like the book says it should.

Annoying - refers to the baby as "she" all the way through which grated a bit. And have a Dining Room Disco or an Ann Summers Party to "get some fun back in your life"?! Nnnngggghhh!!!!!!!

Summary - good guide but I'll be buying the mumsnet book as well as a guide for looking after myself and my own sanity as well as my baby's!
on 8 March 2011
Love this book! Have been reading each chapter as my baby grows and really like the way it's been compiled. As other reviews state, it's very much a book that doesn't preach but informs while giving real mums' comments on the particular topic. It's modern and up-to-date and provides a wealth of information especially for first-time mums. Also I think it's great that it isn't just 'all about baby' but has bits about e.g. your relationship with your husband/partner since birth etc. Do not hesitate to buy this book if you're looking an informative but easy read.
on 12 December 2010
Very easy to read, and it gives you more than one opinion on subjects which I found very good. Covers all the areas and subjects you want to know more about. It resolved alot of questions for me, and shed light on issues I had about feeding and sleeping. I would recommend the book to any new parents who does not want a book that tells you how to do the right thing, instead it gives you the information and advice to work out what is best for your baby.
on 8 February 2010
This book helped me to survive the first few months as a new mum and I love the Netmums comments. I especially love the month by month development milestones as they help you to teach your baby what you think they should know for their age. It encouraged me to get out and about and attend baby classes, buy suitable toys and read more books. I also love How to be a happy mum which is within the same group of books.
on 15 January 2010
I am a new mum and bought this book as I wanted to do some reading at the end of my pregnancy for what to expect during my baby's first year and have really liked what I have read. It has a nice, user-friendly layout, month by month sections, I especially like the quotes from real mothers as it gives real experiences and feelings of what it's like to have a baby and not just 'expert' opinion.
on 26 November 2009
This is a good book for new Mums. I particularly like the quotes and comments from other Mums about their experiences with such things as weaning and teething. I was slightly disappointed to see it at a cheaper price in Asda the following week after I bought it but Amazon's price is still well below the RRP.
on 1 April 2016
COST: Very Fair

BEST BITS: excellent book and a must have for all mums! I'm a mum of four and this is my go to guide even still! A book for mums by mums, tips and tricks and even question and answer sections for every age and issue!

BAD BITS: None

RECOMMENDED: Yes 100%
on 10 February 2010
I bought it as with first baby I had no idea what to expect. It is very informative and quotes lots of mum's based on their experience. It's a plain text though, no pictures and no 'let us show you how this can be done' when you can actually visualize stuff.
on 4 July 2011
Really detailed and helpful month-by-month guide to baby's first year. I like the sections with quotes from real mums - you really get a sense of the research done by the author.
on 8 September 2009
I love all of the netmums book, again this is an easy to use and very imformative book. I am a mother of three and still find it a useful book to have to hand.