Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2000
I had borrowed James Allen's earlier book on Michael, Quest for Redemption, from the local library and read it earlier in the year. When I found it available through Amazon as well as the follow-up Driven to Extremes, I thought I would buy both books to have them in my collection. Fortunately for me Question for Redemption was unavailable as it was out of print as I found that Driven to extremes basically has only two new chapters added to the earlier book. When I started reading it, I found it surprisingly familiar and when I came across a couple of stand out paragraphs I realised why it was so familiar.
If you have not read Quest for Redemption, Driven to Extremes is the one to get as you will get the best of both worlds.
Michael gives the outward impression to the media of being cold, arrogant and aloof but this book shows the caring human side of the man, almost vulnerable. I cannot blame him for keeping that side of him hidden. He was certainly very friendly to me when I had the opportunity to meet him last year - a man only too happy to speak with his fans.
The book is great and James Allen has done a great job in showing the other side of Michael. I await the next instalment after Michael wins the championship this year but please give us some new information in this one please James. If you have not read the first book, it is a must read for fans and non-fans alike.
on 6 August 2014
This is an intresting overlook into Michael's career in Formula 1, as well as some of the observations about the man behind the helmet. I was quite young in the 90's, so a lot of the detail of that period is lost to me, so it was intresting to look back as an adult on what I couldn't understand as a child.

It covers pretty much is whole first career from his time in Beneton to his 'retirement' from Ferrari. It's intresting to look at some of the obersvations about some of the more contraversal area's of this career, and how this ruthless desire to win at all costs sometimes went overboard/ However, the book seems unbiased, so we read about some of the 'softer' and 'kinder' sides of Michael that were lesser shown and known.

This book provides a good overview for fans and critics alike. Definately worth a read.
on 7 May 2015
Probably the finest F1 book that I have read, certainly better than any other of the drivers books. I saw Schumacher in a different light but finished the book with more respect that I already had for him.
on 29 January 2015
Ordered this as a christmas present for my dad, he liked it, the book wasn't too scuffted or tattered for its quality, great gift for racing lovers
on 3 August 2013
absolutely superb book, I couldn't put it down, highly recommended to any fan of Schumacher or indeed any formula 1 fan
on 1 March 1999
Interesting insight into what makes a very private driver tick. Full of the usual praise from his collegues but refreshingly, a candid view of some of the more controversial aspects of Michael Schumacher. Of particular interest is the behind the scenes accounting of Ferrari's performance during the 1998 season and Ferrari's view of the feud with McLaren. On whole, a balanced accounting of the current era's best driver.
on 12 October 2007
I'm not a fan of James Allens ITV F1 commentary but don't let this put you off, this is an excellent book. It gives a great incite into the real Schumacher and uses quotes from conversations with Schumacher which gives the book a real feel of completeness, that it isn't just hearsay.

Highly recommended.
on 10 May 2016
this book is so boring I have reached 20% eventually, but have given up in the end due to total boredom.

I bought it as it has 4 and 5 star reviews, but for the life of me can't see why ?

a complete waste of money and will now need another book.

Iain
on 12 October 2007
Having read a lot of Schumacher books, I do not rate this as the best book out there. If you want an in depth book on Schumacher's life then read the book written by Christopher Hilton as it is more complete. James Allen's analysis is fairly good and the book is mostly compiled of quotes from everybody else in the paddock and very few are from Schumacher himself. In fact Schumacher is not even mentioned in the acknowledgments!

Easy to read nonetheless.
on 29 June 2007
Good F1 biographies are pretty rare - many of them are hack jobs written by journalists that turn these things out by the dozen. Surprisingly, this is very good. I'm not a particularly big Schumacher fan, but this is an excellent slice of history from an era where Schumacher was at his most controversial, and captures him at Ferrari just before the Brawn-Byrne-Schumacher-Todt regime became utterly dominant in the sport. Recommended.