5.0 out of 5 stars A real insight into the real Michael Schumacher
Published on 10 May 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars The Edge of Greatness
Having read a lot of Schumacher books, I do not rate this as the best book out there. If you want an in depth book on Schumacher's life then read the book written by Christopher Hilton as it is more complete. James Allen's analysis is fairly good and the book is mostly compiled of quotes from everybody else in the paddock and very few are from Schumacher himself. In...
Published on 12 Oct. 2007 by Mr. B. Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars A real insight into the real Michael Schumacher, 10 May 2000
By A Customer
This book provides a real insight into Michael Schumacher's life. It talks about his feelings both on and off the racing circuit, the importance of family life to him. It also goes into great detail about that controversial crash Jerez 1997. For those people who don't like Michael this book i'm sure will change your mind, you'll definitely realise he's just human, like the rest of us. Once you start reading this book you'll find it hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indespensable Book. An insight into the mind of Schumi., 7 Aug. 2002
From the moment I picked this book up I knew I was addicted to it. No other book I have read on Schumi comes close to this.
This book truly focuses on the mind, psychology and dicipline of the greatest driver of this era.
It also explains the relationships between himself and the people around him in fine detail.
For those who just love F1 or are Schumi fans, you have to read this one. I wouldn't have given it five stars since I am a critical person if the book was not that good. Go ahead, read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting insight into one of the greatest!, 14 Jan. 2000
By A Customer
This book is excellently presented and written with interesting photos and attachments; however, as always with Michael, we are never quite allowed to learn the true essence of what makes him tick. Perhaps the reason he is so successful is because he gives so little away, and reveals neither his strengths or weaknesses to anybody, probably not even his wife! This book takes you really close to Michael Schumacher, and when you finally think you're beginning to understand him, it pulls you away faster than a bungee jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. At the end of the day, we'll make our own minds up about Jerez; if we like him we'll continue to support him, and if we don't, we'll dish him! The book was excellent; worth a look for the Formula 1 insight whether you like the guy or not! Looking forward to the next one James!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only my opinion!!, 24 Jun. 2009
Mr. G. Wynne (Winsford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michael Schumacher: The Edge of Greatness (Paperback)
A really good read,especially for the dedicated Schumacher fan.
Even if you aren't a fan of his, but you love F1, it's still a must have, it not only covers the 'Driver', but also gives a very good insight into the psyche of the man, his personality etc etc.
Definitely a book that will change most peoples minds, if they are of the opinion that Schuey is arrogant,decietful or whatever.
Personally I am a fan of his, from the first time I saw him in an F1 car, the 7up Jordan 191, qualifying for the Belgian GP.

4.0 out of 5 stars What took him on the edge of greatness, 21 Nov. 2007
Arshad Altaf (Karachi, Sindh Pakistan) - See all my reviews
An absorbing read with insights on what makes Shumacher great along with the fact that he is also human and to err is human even though he did it more than once. But it is understandable because to get to such level he probably wanted to go to any level to achieve victory and he did so with style and sometimes with mistakes. Majority of his critics are jealous because of his consistent victories even though he deserves genuine appreciation for his achievments. This book solidifies the fact that Shumacher is the greatest F1 drivers of modern times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Michael Schumacher: The Edge of Greatness (Paperback)
This is a great book, not so much a biography more a psychological dissection of Schumacher, if, like me, you are a follower of Formula One and particularly if you can remember the man and his career this work will offer answers to why he took some of the decisions he did and also help to understand not just him but the Formula One driver (perhaps all who race and compete) in general. It certainly helps to differentiate between the winner and the mere participant.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential F1 Book, 24 April 2009
This review is from: Michael Schumacher: The Edge of Greatness (Paperback)
This is one of the best F1 books ever written. Even if you are not a Schumacher fan, you've got to get this. It's a thouroughly detailed and insightful account of one of the greatest racing drivers ever. Very little is known about Schumacher's personality as he hid it very well during his time in F1, but F1 journalist James Allen really gets to the core of the man.

Personally, this is the best sports non-fiction book I have read to date. Lets hope James Allen writes more F1 books.

5.0 out of 5 stars all about michael's heroic 1998 season after jerez, 31 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
If you are a michael schumacer fan you will have to read this book. James Allen facinating way of describing the jerez incident and 1998 season will keep your interest until the end.It contains a lot of information about michael's life and career from his early stages at kart racing.There are some great pictures in it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars An in-dedpth story of the man behind the mask, 23 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
I had borrowed James Allen's earlier book on Michael, Quest for Redemption, from the local library and read it earlier in the year. When I found it available through Amazon as well as the follow-up Driven to Extremes, I thought I would buy both books to have them in my collection. Fortunately for me Question for Redemption was unavailable as it was out of print as I found that Driven to extremes basically has only two new chapters added to the earlier book. When I started reading it, I found it surprisingly familiar and when I came across a couple of stand out paragraphs I realised why it was so familiar.
If you have not read Quest for Redemption, Driven to Extremes is the one to get as you will get the best of both worlds.
Michael gives the outward impression to the media of being cold, arrogant and aloof but this book shows the caring human side of the man, almost vulnerable. I cannot blame him for keeping that side of him hidden. He was certainly very friendly to me when I had the opportunity to meet him last year - a man only too happy to speak with his fans.
The book is great and James Allen has done a great job in showing the other side of Michael. I await the next instalment after Michael wins the championship this year but please give us some new information in this one please James. If you have not read the first book, it is a must read for fans and non-fans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 7 Feb. 2014
Bought for my son but also read it myself. Really interesting and gives a great amount of insight into Schumachers past and how he got to where he did. I personally enjoyed learning more about his private life and the man behind the image. Well written by someone who clearly knows his stuff.

Michael Schumacher: The Edge of Greatness
Michael Schumacher: The Edge of Greatness by James Allen (Paperback - 26 Jun. 2008)