4.0 out of 5 stars Bobbi on ageing gorgeously

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
Published on 13 April 2007 by M. M. Simpson

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 13 April 2007
M. M. Simpson "stretton" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I read the whole book in one evening, so I was disappointed that there was so little content in the book. I didn't really learn anything from the book itself either, most of the tips I already knew and had picked up from magazines etc over the years. I love Bobbi Brown cosmetics and brushes though, and expected to really find something in the book that would excite me, but I'm afraid it didn't.

2.0 out of 5 stars ageing gracefully..., 23 Mar 2007
I bought this book after reading a few interviews about ageing gracefully according to Ms Brown and the art of make up against wrinkles. I was half disappointed. The pictures of beautiful middle aged celebrities are obviously retouched. The make up is almost the same on every picture and I found most of them almost better in the " before" than the " after". Worse, most of the advice is about cosmetic surgery - light procedures, but including Botox. Although the theme is all about getting older as Mother Nature intented us to, the reality is about braking as much as we can without being spotted as vain. I am not sure about the mix message of the book and felt slightly cheated. I am a fan of Bobbi Brown make up products and I've bought all of her books so far. But this one left me with a slightly bitter view of what is expecting me.

I'd recommend this book only if you really have no clue about how to use make up and do not dare to ask a girl behind a counter. But I'd expect any grown up Lady to be, by then, able to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bobbi on ageing gorgeously, 9 July 2007
S. A. Stacey - See all my reviews
While dedicated no-surgery women may disagree with Bobbi's recommendation of 'light' procedures (remember she comes from New York city, where it's viewed differently), there's lots of heartfelt and helpful suggestions in this new book. You don't have to agree with it all to get some really good ideas. I particularly liked the emphasis on 'soul' beauty, and her advice to eat organic, do yoga and meditation, and live life fully, whatever your age.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for older women, 26 July 2010
A. Boadu (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bobbi Brown Living Beauty (Paperback)
I always enjoy Bobbi Brown beauty books because of her philosophy about beauty (very down to earth, practical and insightful). However I was a bit disappointed with this one. This is not because of the content, but because of who the book is aimed at: older women! I think if she had indicated that it was geared to the more mature lady, I wouldn't have bought it. Well not for myself any way. Maybe for my mum!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book if you are heading for forty, 30 Sep 2009
I quite like this book. I'm not forty yet but am rapidly approaching it, and this book does have some helpful ideas. Okay, so the clothes advice might work in New York but not here - black turtlenecks on the over forties? - and in clothes terms the make-overs actually look quite drab. The diet and exercise advice is pretty basic, too. But the women featured are all individuals and all beautiful without being conventional (you can ignore the celebs if you want to), and the advice about make-up and skin care is spot-on. I've used make-up for decades and thought I was pretty up to speed, but for years I've had oily skin and no wrinkles. Now having three kids in quick succession has made my face look like a road map and my skin is parched beyond belief. The tips about moisturising and yellow-tinted base make-up are just what I need right now. The procedures discussed are light (certainly lighter than those is Trinny and Susannah's books) and Bobbi isn't a fan of Botox. For clothes advice I would suggest that the T&S books are a better bet, but this is definitely worth a look if age has suddenly crept up on you, as it has for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some god tips, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Bobbi Brown Living Beauty (Paperback)
Repeats some of the advice given in the Bobbi Brown Make-Up manual but with some new tips which have really improved the way I wear my make- up. Some of the celeb items were not worth reading, though, but all in all a good book to complement the main make-up manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bobbi Brown Living Beauty, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: Bobbi Brown Living Beauty (Paperback)
Bobbi Brown Living Beauty Is a fascinating book filled with top tips and tricks. I've found this book very enlightening and a major confidence booster.

Would have liked to see more step by step guides to actually applying make up in varying ways, but the information contained was none-the-less inspirational. A good buy and would definitely recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the brunettes, 30 Jan 2011
This is a lovely book if you're a brunette. Unfortunately being a fair skinned
blonde I have to say I was quite disappointed as there was hardly any information in it that was relevant to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bobbi Brown Living Beauty, 2 Nov 2010
This book was shown as used but in new condition, and on receiving it it passed 100% in the sellers description, it also was much less expensive than buying as new, but with the advantage of looking as though never used, brilliant!
The book is excellent for woman who like down to earth beauty advise, with step-by-step advise on how to apply the various products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bobbi Brown, 10 Feb 2009
Julia Rodgers (U.K) - See all my reviews
"A good beauty book a must have for tips on looking after yourself, makeup application and eating right"

Bobbi Brown Living Beauty
Bobbi Brown Living Beauty by Bobbi Brown (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)