5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute scorcher from Bobby Charlton, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
This marvellous book about Bobby Charlton casts fascinating new light on the life and personality of England's greatest footballer since the war.
I thoroughly enjoyed his two recent volumes of autobiography, the first concentrating on Manchester United and the second dealing with England, but this offering is radically different.
It consists of more than 300 beautifully reproduced photographs, complete accompanying explanations of each one in Sir Bob's own words. Thus it tells his story in an appealingly everyday sort of way.
One of my favourite shots is an early one, in which he is winning a heading duel with his mother in his backyard in Ashington, Northumberland. What's so wonderful is that Mrs Charlton seems to want that ball as much as her son does!
All his famous triumphs are faithfully chronicled, but I was delighted that also there are so many informal studies, picturing his life out of the public eye, and his own thoughtful, sometimes humorous observations are a joy.
Also it was illuminating to read contributions from people who know him well- Alex Ferguson, his own brother Jack, Denis Law, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs to name but a few - which gives the project an extra dimension.
The book is designed and packaged attractively and I cannot recommend it too highly. Taking a wider view, I hope this format signals a fresh direction in sports publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't beat Bobby for Christmas, 24 Nov 2009
S. M. Liechti "Sue Liechti" (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
I love this book. After reading it, I feel I know Bobby so much better than before. Anyone with a feeling for football in the 1950s, '60s and '70s will cherish this volume. For them this is the best Christmas present imaginable. Thank you to all concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life in Football, 28 Jan 2010
Anthony M. Knight (Solihull, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
For anyone interested in football or in Bobby Charlton this is a really superb book. It comprises photographs of all sorts spanning his career accompanied with easy to read stories or comments on the images.

It is simply a photographic account of Charlton's magnificent career and life, which is a credit to him and his family. A really lovely book.

Tony Knight

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 Jan 2010
Mrs. C. E. Logan "Clare" (Ashford, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
The book was received very well by my husband as a christmas present. So far so good !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly different take on the football autobiography, 9 Nov 2009
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
My Life in Football is a stunning reworking of the football autobiography genre. The third in a series of books by Bobby Charlton, this innovative volume brings together over 300 images, many of which are previously unseen, which give the reader a unique glimpse at not only the career but also the private life of one of football's greatest legends.

Through these carefully selected photographs and their accompanying captions, Sir Bobby provides the reader with an insight into his life, with his career milestones documented alongside more intimate, often humorous anecdotes detailing his life outside football. Sir Bobby's own observations are accompanied by contributions from those within the game who knew him well, from Alex Ferguson to Paul Scholes to his brother Jack. These illuminating, often colourful stories really bring the images to life, and add a warm, human dimension to the volume.

This book would make a fantastic Christmas present for any discerning football fan - the photographs are beautifully reproduced, and the volume itself if attractively presented, making it a wonderful and different gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doh, 8 July 2011
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
Does what it says , gave it to my father in law who is in his eighties ( real Man U hater) loved it !

5.0 out of 5 stars my life in football by bobby charlton, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
i purchased this book for my dad as my uncle had this book and I knew by ordering it through amazon It would be promptly delivered. the book has extracts of conversations with bobby charlton and some of the worlds greatest players about sir Bobby Charltons career and the fatal Munic air disaster which Sir bobby was fortunate to survive and become a brilliant player still for Man utd. Bless him

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the true greats, 15 Aug 2010
Mr Mark James (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
Will always be known of one of the UKs sporting legends and clearly a gentleman with it. A few more of our sporting heroes could do worse than act like Sir Bobby

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Trip Down Memory Lane, 5 July 2010
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
Being stuck for an answer when my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday I suggested My Life in Football which I had previously spotted in our local bookshop window. I am delighted that I did. I have been a great fan of Manchester United ever since I was a kid and the Munich disaster and the cup finals against Aston Villa and later Bolton Wanderers seem like they were only yesterday. The photos will bring back vivid memories of the late 50's and the 60's, some sad some great. Bobby's remarks about his team mates and his opponents are both generous and warm. The tributes from both equally so. Not what you would call a great read as there are more pictures than words but, as my review title says, a wonderful trip down memory lane. Any football fan who followed Man U during the period Bobby was running riot from midfield will find this book to be a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life in Football by Sir Bobby Charlton, 29 May 2010
This review is from: My Life in Football (Hardcover)
This book is different from what one would expect from the normal sports celebrity autobiography as it is based on a scrap book. It is therefore necessary, so as to avoid disappointment, for the reader to have at least read one of Sir Bobby Charlton's other biographies ("My England Years" or "My Manchester United Years")because the format differs so radically from one's expectation, particularly as those who admired him as a player had to wait such a long time before his first autobiography was published (he would have been about 70 years old and retired from playing for 34 years when the first one was published in 2007). In other words it should not be the first choice (for reading a Sir Bobby Charlton biography) and not solely because the recommended purchase price is expensive, due presumably because of the high cost of producing so many black & white and coloured "scrap book" photographs.

ARRAY(0xab1c3360)

My Life in Football
My Life in Football by Bobby Charlton (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2009)
25.00