Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 November 2007
The thing about Lawrence Dallaglio is that he doesn't do things by halves. Typically, he has written the story of his life in a style that is never dull, that is full of humanity and, perhaps surprisingly, offers us more far more emotional depth than you get in sports biographies. When he plays for Wasps or England, Dallaglio gives his all and he has done the same with his book. There is Lawrence the choirboy, Lawrence the miscreant, Lawrence the rugby player, Lawrence the bereft and confused sibling, Lawrence the Lion, Lawrence the Warrior, Lawrence the struggling partner to Alice, Lawrence the abandoned - this is a book that takes you through the full range of his experiences and leaves you with a deep sense of Lawrence the Man. Sometimes we sympathise with him, occasionally we don't but we always care. And that's the greatest testimony to the book. On the pitch, he was one of the great No.8s and he has produced an autobiography that will be ranked up there with the very best of the genre.
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2007
I can t even remember why i did buy that book, But one thing is sure ,. I m really glad I did , I received it 3 days ago and I ve been with my nose down since.
Okay, rugby might be called" a hooligan game played by gentlemen" BUT I can assure you that that book is by no mean rough or boring or a drag.
It is extremely well written, amazing, stunning at time and very touching at some points,.
This the portrait of one of the most charistmatic player and member of the Rose team.
If you do like an entertaining biography, and discover an amazing character.. well. enjoy the reading
I certainly did
on 9 November 2007
After watching this guy play at Wasps and for England over the years it was a must read.The book is easy to read and keeps you interested throughout,LD is a fantastic player who sometimes plays beyond the rules but is a charachter who you must admire (and I am a Bath fan!).
Buy this book and you will not be dissapointed,LD spills his heart over the death of his sister and you sometimes wonder how the guy continued to play at the level he has for the past 15 years.
Whatever your views on the man as a player this book will keep you entertained from cover to cover.
on 28 January 2015
I enjoyed this book from one of my favourite England players. Easy to read and the stories of his England tours were those I enjoyed the most. The story of his downfall left a bit out I thought. There was perhaps more to read between the lines than in them.
VINE VOICEon 12 December 2011
Lawrence Dallaglio is one of my heroes; I have the picture of him in my head, powering over the try line with half the Welsh team trying to hold him back. In the book, I found much that was familiar so not breaking new ground. Out of the 4 rugby biographies I have read, it comes 4th, behind Woodward, Catt, and Johnson. This could have been so much better if the associate writer had written it with detail and interviews with team mates and opponents so that it was not just Lawrence's word and opinion. We had to take so much memory on trust and the balance would be so much better if others had made contributions. I would have liked to have felt I was being taken behind the scenes at club and international level. Lawrence is a good sports writer now but here, although painfully honest at times, it doesn't have the edge. I learned a lot about the 2003 campaign in Woodward's and cried a lot reading Mike Catt's biography, but I just sat and read this without much engagement. Is that because I have read so much already and also his life is well-documented in relation to the loss of his sister and also the newspaper "drug-dealer" story? He remains a hero to me. Wish the book had been more detailed and rounded.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2009
I am certainly not a Wasps fan but very much enjoyed this book. He seems to come across as much more personable than when he is on TV. His story is well written and is very enlightening into him as a person. I would certainly recommend it to nay rugby fan but would further than that to say it is a great read for anyone looking for inspiration in life.
on 13 January 2008
Like an earlier gentleman, my wife bought me this for Xmas. I read this within 36 hours and for me, quite simply this is my book of the year. There has been some apparent bad blood between Lawrence and some of his other England colleagues - indeed I witnessed a surprisingly strong reaction from Phil Vickery at a "captains lunch" at Lords after the world cup. However I can only conclude that those players simply hadnt read the book - and were being misled by the somewhat misleading, sensationalist, serialisation on a national newspaper. Any criticisms of coaches or players is always tempered by respectful commentary and an appreciation that at all times everybody connected with the England setup simply wants their country to do well. You cannot read this book and not come away in total awe of this man, warts and all. His commitment to both club and country is unquestioned. The emotional side of both his sport and the elements of tragedy and sadness in his personal life is written incredibly powerfully. The News of the World's attempt to destroy this rugby giant never had a chance. Shame on them. There is passion and clarity in his writing - as there is every time he pulls on his WASPs or England jersey. If the WASPS and England setups are able to further harness this great man in coaching capacities, then both teams will be in amazing hands for years to come. I wish him and his family all the very best in everything they do in the future. Top top book.
on 2 March 2008
I am a bit amazed by some of the other reviews of this book. I am a big rugby fan and having been given this for Christmas 2007 was looking forward to insightful read of a insiders view of the 2003 rugby build up and how he really found it breaking into the senior game from the junior ranks. It reads like someone desperately trying to remember some of the past and also some of the really big games are brushed over in 1-2 pages if that. the News of the World incident receives many pages more other important events in his life, which quite frankly I would rather read about. All in all disappointing.
on 4 April 2015
Absolutely brilliant Lawrence writes very honestly about his life. As he did in his career he wears his heart on his sleeve and you never feel that he is holding anything back. It is so refreshing to read a book written by a genuine person and you don't have to read between the lines for the truth. Even though there have been many highs in his life particularly in Rugby there was one very difficult low. He addresses this in great detail which must have been difficult for him and probably opened up wounds which will never heal.
on 19 November 2007
After having this book on order for months i was not disappointed. I thought it started off slowly but i was gutted to have finished it!! It gives you a real insight into the man that epitomises English rugby. If its there to be said he says it, which some people don't like but at the same time holds his hands up to his mistakes.
This is a great insight into one of England's best ever rugby players, and a must read for all rugby fans. I particularly liked the section on the 2007 World Cup preparation. If only he had been given the same treatment as Jason Robinson!!