4.0 out of 5 stars Warm and witty
This is a sweet book- it's the mostly-made-up story of a boy's family experiences from an early age, up to the point that he leaves for University. It's told as a series of short anecdotes, most of them only a few pages long, most of which work as stand-alone pieces though they have a loosely flowing narrative and a handful of running gags as you go along.

The...
Published on 3 Sep 2007 by Mr. Stuart Bruce

I don't know what this book is like. My mother requested the audio version specifically and it seems it's only available on download. However, I assumed this would be find and I could burn a copy for her to CD.

Published on 26 Aug 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm and witty, 3 Sep 2007
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Someone Like Me: Tales from a Borrowed Childhood (Paperback)

The family is warm, witty and very endearing. There isn't a lot of variety or a particularly outward look to the stories- most of the stories are simply recountings of conversations had at the kitchen table- but it's flooded with ideas, and little social satires about British life and family life. It wouldn't surprise me if, like me, you see something of your own mother and father in the characters.

It reminded me of Spike Milligan's autobiographical writing, but without quite as many puns. Warm-hearted and very readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read, 2 May 2009
Having loved reading Miles Kington's column in The Independent for many years, before his way too early demise, I was intrigued to read a whole book by him. What a joy! Not the usual list of achievements in his career, but a peep into his extraordinary, slightly eccentric childhood. It concentrated on the main four family members, Mum, Dad, Brother and himself, with the most wonderful detail, I wanted to be part of that group. I laughed out loud continually at his hilarious stories, and was disappointed to finish it. I would highly recommend this book, whether you have known about him previously is not necessary, just enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Hillarious - You NEED to read this book, 9 Aug 2009
S. Donohue (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
The funniest autobiographical book i have read in a long time. Not a tradional lay out as it jumps time periods, it is written like the author is telling you the story personally & had me in tears laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars He writes in such an easy and enjoyable way that it is very hard to ..., 28 Oct 2014
D. M. Ely-brown "Dave Brown" (Wales. UK) - See all my reviews
My one complaint about Miles Kingtons writing is that it is too addictive. He writes in such an easy and enjoyable way that it is very hard to put the book down which means I finish it far too soon. It is a thoroughly entertaining book with many tales that are similar to my own life. I would recommend it highly to anyone who has an enlarged funnybone.

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 25 Sep 2013
Corinne Jones "roger977" (wales) - See all my reviews
this was a gift for someone else but the bit I read was hilarious, I thoroughly recommend it. A very good read

5.0 out of 5 stars nearly choked to death with laughing!, 13 Jan 2009
S. huntingdon "bookworm" (north of england) - See all my reviews
This is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.
Had to stop reading it several times as I found myself choking.
What a pity this humourist's life was cut short by cancer.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS AUDIO BOOK: It is in some utterly ridiculous format you can't play, 26 Aug 2012
Amazon Customer (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Apparently not. Audible give you the book in some utterly repellent non-standard format and then require that you install iTunes in order to burn it. I have a Windows computer so, naturally, I don't use iTunes because it runs incredibly poorly and is completely over-engineered for this task.

Why it is that I can download albums in un-encrypted MP3 format but not books, I shall never know. Certainly I would never buy from Audible again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 Dec 2014
I found it a very funny book.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 11 Oct 2011
Mr. R. W. Briggs "Rob & Lin Briggs" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
A touch disappointing.

The system requires me to write twenty words, I don't see why, I have said everything I want to say!

Someone Like Me: Tales from a Borrowed Childhood
Someone Like Me: Tales from a Borrowed Childhood by Miles Kington (Paperback - 31 July 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01