5.0 out of 5 stars Jonny: My Autobiography
3 nights into book and 250 pages read.

This is undoubtedly the best autobiography I have read.

From an outsider looking in it seems that Mr Wilkinson gave a lot of time and thought to it. This makes a pleasant change to books where it is clear the subject was not that interested in the process and end result.

The media have always...
Published on 18 Nov. 2011 by Haydn Hertz

1.0 out of 5 stars Move along, nothing to see here!!
After reading all the previous reviews I thought I was on to a winner with this book. How wrong was I!! It's one of the most depressing and frustrating books I've ever had the misfortune to read. I like reading sporting bios where the star has a bit I vulnerability but this takes the biscuit. How he gets out of bed in the morning I don't know. Every little decision is...
Published 7 months ago by gavin wylie

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The most honest autobiography out there, 18 Nov. 2011
This was a gripping, honest and touching book, which you can tell was written from the heart. Never before have I read such an open account of someone's career and life.
I can't recommend this book enough. One of the greatest sportsmen of out time delivers the most powerful book of the year

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book, 22 Nov. 2011
A very good read from start to finish. The book gives a truthful and honest account of Jonny`s life and career. It takes you through the ups and downs of a top sportsman. A must read book for anybody interested in sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars jonny autobiography, 1 Jan. 2012
I bought this book for my sport crazy husband and decided to read it myself following all the excellent reviews. Jonny is a complex individual, always striving to be the best and never truly content with himself. The book gives a fascinating insight into Jonny's personality and I felt that he is so hard on himself. I found the book to be the best autobiography I have read because he reveals so much of himself.
jonny has now retired from international rugby and I only hope he finds fulfillment in his life after rugby !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good book on every level, 28 Jan. 2012
J. Knott - See all my reviews
This is such a good book, informative and interesting on every page. It seemed less like reading it, more like having a quiet talk with the author, as he shares his aspirations, problems, ailments and successes. If you want a catalogue of statistics look on Wikipedia or in the precise listings at the back of this book. But if you want to get a sense for the atmosphere and details on and off the pitch, read this book.
I'm sure you'll find that it's hard to put down, and yet you want it to not end.

5.0 out of 5 stars OCD and Angst but a great read!!, 24 Dec. 2011
G. Brooks "brooksy" (a Brit abroad) - See all my reviews
I must admit it is difficult to be objective, as an ex rugby player who thinks Jonny Wilkinson is a God. However I will do my best.

The book starts with psychological self analysis from childhood and continues much in this way throughout the rest of the book. I suppose you could say it is a little repetitive. That may be true but it is an insanely addictive read to have laid before you the inner, darkest thoughts, of a professional sportsman.

To be honest I have never been a knocker of Jonny W and always hoped he would get fit quickly and come back to play for England again. The book will give you a great insight into just how hard he tried. In fact he couldn't have tried any harder.

The book will give you another side to Jonny W. The fragile, self doubting, side a real opposite to his media profile of hard tackling hit man.

This is an excellent read and it is the first book I have read, cover to cover, in under 3 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jonny, we're sorry..., 17 Jun. 2012
I was absolutely infuriated about how Jonny Wilkinson was treated by both British press and much of the public during, and after, the 2011 Rugby World Cup. Oh how short the public memory can be - and how fickle the armchair sports pundit. One of the many reasons this book is a must-read is that Jonny never let much slip in interviews during his career, being the consummate professional he is. But here, every possible emotion JW has experienced in his lengthy career is poured forth without compromise. After the first few chapters of this book, only the most informed of people on JW will not be stunned by what he has to say.

The perfectionist nature of the man is known - but learning the extent to which this trait has consumed his life came as a shock. The frank and sometimes distorted view JW has about his own talents and abilities are unbelievable. After reading quite a few Rugby Union autobiographies now - Ronan O'Gara, Lewis Moody, Martin Johnson and Donncha O'Callaghan among them - it is clear that a lot of insecurity exists in large union squads about competition for places. Keen to know how this affected JW during his significant spells through injury, I was extremely saddened by what I read. The man has had, despite the large point totals and achievements, a bittersweet career; and one of the most interesting points of the book is how the 2003 victory represented both a zenith and a nadir in his life.

Of every single sporting autobiography I have ever read, in terms of brutal honesty, only 'Open' by Andre Agassi comes remotely close to this. However, JW's book, unsurprisingly, is without any of the razzmatazz and hyperbole of 'Open', which leaves the reader with the closest thing to the working of a sporting mind yet written. Fantastic prose and style, and, despite the aforementioned serious insight, there is some humour and fun along the way.

I would go as far as to suggest that everyone who claims to be an English union fan should read this book. JW has been the ultimate professional and servant for his country; and all without the gaffs from Botham and public vulgarity of Beckham. Anyone who rubbished JW during injury, or forgot what he has achieved should read this and then feel truly ashamed of themselves. An utterly compelling read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Jonny, 29 Nov. 2012
It was interesting to get an insight into one of England's greatest ever sport stars. This is a journey from the school playing fields to international icon, mirrored by the style of writing in recalling the defining moments that moulded Jonny as a talented teenager to a rapid ascent to the England squad and then to the ultimate glory of winning the Rugby World Cup. The shy dedicated kid thrown into the spotlight and out of his comfort zone. The story is very much about Rugby and how Jonny viewed those around him and how he dealt with the injuries. Unlike other Rugby Biogs, there's no `Baggage' with Jonny and so this is one for the Rugby purist - any anecdotes come from other players & the best ones from Austin Healey ribbing a young Jonny when he joined the England squad - jokes about homework & winning a competition to be with the England squad for a day. I enjoyed the book as a Jonny fan, eternally grateful for that moment of magic at Sydney's Telstra Stadium on November 22nd 2003.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasure to read!, 26 Jan. 2012
Such a refreshing change from some recent autobiographies that show very little character/personality. Jonny comes across as a gentle, intelligent man who probably cared too much about the sport and his own performance. His voice is excellently conveyed and you really do get drawn in to an obsessive mind-set. Really thought-provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 24 Dec. 2011
Mrs. S. C. Edmunds (Ross on Wye) - See all my reviews
I am not an avid rugby fan but I loved this book,by the end I felt I knew him.A book to get lost in. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars very honest read, 4 Jan. 2012
really interesting read, he is very hard on himself but loathe to be critical of anyone else which is my only fault with the book
i do wonder how he will cope when he retires

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Jonny: My Autobiography
Jonny: My Autobiography by Jonny Wilkinson (Paperback - 10 May 2012)