4.0 out of 5 stars The title is "Living With Billy Connolly"
Published on 21 Feb. 2007 by Perpetua

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor contrast to Billy...
Published on 9 Dec. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor contrast to Billy..., 9 Dec. 2003
By A Customer
Billy was an excellent book, a rags to riches story of a kind, brave and generous man. Unfortunately Bravemouth is a riches and more riches story, covering a recent year in the Scottish comics life. Whilst it still highlights at times what a great man Billy Connolly is, because of the lifestyle he and his wife have now earned unfortunately the book is more an insight into how the rich and famous live than anything.
If you want to understand Billy Connolly and how he has become the man he is today, read Billy. If you want to know what it's like to be part of a family of a celebrity, read Bravemouth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing on many levels..., 24 May 2011
I must say I am in total agreement with the other posters who were disappointed with this book - what a contrast to 'Billy' which I thoroughly enjoyed! The saddest thing about this book is that it's kind of made me dislike both Billy Connolly (whose comedy used to make me roar with laughter) and Pamela Stephenson who I'd come to quite like after seeing her endeavours on 'Strictly..'
Neither comes across very well in this book which is a bit of a 'puff piece' really - it's got very little substance and meanders about all over the place. Stephenson comes across as supercillious and pompous and Connolly as terribly self-consciously eccentric and a bit unpleasant (hanging about laughing at 'the public' at large? Urgh!). Maybe constantly being told how brilliant and wonderful you are makes you disappear up yourself? I don't know, although arguably his stand-up has lost its greatness, now that it's mostly centred around how rich and famous he is these days and a desperate urge to shock. Sadly, 'Bravemouth' has put me off them both - so if you're a fan, definately avoid. This will add nothing to your understanding of why Connolly is funny.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Billy Connolly fans, 2 Nov. 2006
Ben Clark (UK) - See all my reviews
The previous comments sum this book up perfectly.

I bought a book about Billy Connolly to read about Billy Connolly.

Who cares about Pamela Stephenson's own travels through India?

How she chooses to decorate the interior of her Maltese house?

How she misses Australia so much, especially the food?

The history of the Maltese Knights of Valletta?

How she began her stage career at 5 years old in a ballet production of the teddy bear's picnic?

and wet herself on stage?

How she once had to do a scene that involved taking down someones trousers on TV?

Her experiences feeding sharks in Bora Bora?

Who cares? I dont want to know any of this stuff, but I have to wade through pages of it to get to the good stuff.

She spends pages telling you how she researched transgendered people in Samoa! People who cut their own genitals off. She basically rehashes stuff that she has read in a other book, passing it off as professional research, and you are never going to forget that she is a psychologist because she reminds you of that fact at least once every 2 pages, and on the back cover. At least 30% of this book has nothing whatsoever to do with Billy Connolly.

This book is a vehicle for her, and its such a shame as, the events in Billy Connolly's 60th year sound so interesting. If only she would stick to the point, and realise that being married to an interesting person does not make your life interesting too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what i expected!, 1 April 2011
I bought this book on the back of reading Billy, if you want to learn more about Billy Connolly - do not buy this book! Its basically an analysis of Pamela's thought's and manipulations of Billy. If you want to read what her psychological opinion on Billys behaviour is then this is the book for you, if not save your money!

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 31 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
Billy Connolly is brilliant. I love his cutting, flamboyant, insightful and wonderfully funny sense of humour.
What I do not like is his dear wife using a book supposedly about him to tell us all about herself and her experiences.
And that sums this book up really. I'm sure Pamela is a very interesting woman, but I want to hear about Billy.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read, 15 Aug. 2012
I did 'get' this book. It's basically a year in the life of the Connolleys, like a diary but with flashbacks and nuggets of personal information about Billy eg his seasickness and attitude to water & the sea and everyday life comments.

I loved 'Billy' when it came out and knew this would not come close if I read it straight after, my instincts were right. A friend gave it to me and it has been sat on the shelf for many years. I wanted to read it but I'm glad I waited a good while after Billy before reading it.

Pamela obviously loves to write and wasnt satisfied after she had finished Billy and wanted to mark BC's 60th year. I thought the bits about his birthday party were a bit tiresome and the anonymising of celebrity friends was a drag (what's wrong with naming them as plenty of other celebs got a mention). It is otherwise an ok book with some laughs, ideal as a holiday read, it gave insight into BCs charity work and his compassionate nature. It is a celebrity biog but BC has earned his wealth and Pamela has supported him to achieve this. Good on them both I say.

One thing this book has definitely done is increased my awareness of beige and encouraged me to always wear more colours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 1 Jan. 2011
Oldlongdog (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
Like another reviewer here I was given this book, although I might have been tempted to buy it having read 'Billy' by the same author.

Bravemouth does not reveal much about its subject that most of us don't already know from his numerous appearances on TV or from reading the previous book. As a psychiatric professional I wanted Pamela Stephenson to show us more of Billy Connolly's real personality but she's his wife too, so one could hardly expect her to spread him out on the mental dissection table for all the world to see. Which begs the question; why write it at all?

Whatever its shortcomings as a literary idea, Bravemouth still offers the reader something of an insight into life 'chez' Connolly and, as the subtitle is 'Living with Billy Connolly' it's hardly surprising that it is written from Pamela Stephenson's perspective (she's the one living with him, right?). Approached with that in mind the book is much more revealing about her than him, only there is not enough of that either! She's a witty, intelligent person with a full life of her own and I'd have liked to see a lot more of her insights into her own life with Billy. But she skates lightly over them (where they appear at all), and I am left feeling that a great deal remains concealed.

So my main criticism of this book is that there is not enough 'meat' in it. It's an affectionate tribute from a loving wife to a loveable husband. It reads like a very long version of one of those letters one sometimes gets with a Christmas card detailing the minor tribulations and successes of the sender's family over the previous year. One does not get the deeper, darker episodes that we all endure and then hide from everyone else.

I blame Hodder as this book has all the hallmarks of being their idea and not either of the Connolly's. It's lazy publishing at its worst and whilst other criticisms of the author's style are completely valid (some of the prose really is excruciating), it is their job to sort that out. Whoever let the word 'slither' be used when the author meant 'sliver' needs to be shot!

I'm glad I read this book but equally glad I didn't pay for it! One for the County Library, then...

4.0 out of 5 stars The title is "Living With Billy Connolly", 21 Feb. 2007
Perpetua (Aberdeen, SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
so to me it seems reasonable that the book has been written by and from his wife's view and experiences. I really enjoyed "Billy" even though bits of it were depressing. As with "Billy" there were moments when I was bursting into laughter often enough that my husband asked me to read aloud whatever was so funny. I think the travels to India were important as alot of it had to do with the "Tickety-Boo" tea houses supported by Billy's charity, so to me it was relavent even if long winded. I would recommend this book to those who enjoyed reading "Billy" but if you want another biography...re-read "Billy" not this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame., 25 Nov. 2009
Like the other reviewers I have to agree that this book is as much a vessel for Pammy as it is an insight into the great mans later years, such a shame really. I loved the photo's and the snippets of life in the slippers for Billy but really I was left wanting much more about him. Sorry Mrs Connolly but when the cover says living with Billy Connolly I expected it to be about "living" with him and not my life on the road while he does his own thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pseuds Corner, 27 July 2004
By A Customer
I'm at a loss to understand exactly what the point of this book is; Ms Stephenson is truly awful. One particular sentence struck me as such pretentious drivel that I had to fold down the page so I could read it back to friends and family at various intervals, all of whom joined in my hysteria. I've already seen a paragraph from this book make an appearance in the satirical magazine Private Eye's 'Pseuds Corner', and deservedly so. It's hard to decide whether Stephenson is merely trying to ride on the back of her husband's success or mask a morality lesson in the depths of a name-dropping prentension-fest. Quite frankly I couldn't have given a damn about her travels in India, and didn't care for her style of attempting to humour bleak situations by re-hashing bits of Connolly's stage show at opportune moments. I love Billy's stand-up comedy, and the first biography was passable, but after skipping through more than one yawn-inducing section of this book, I can't honestly remember if I even read the last page. What an incongruous couple 'Doctor and Doctor Connolly' make. He's your husband, Pamsy, not a performing seal who just happens to have famous pals. Give him and your family some credit. (Oh, and just out of interest, there is no such aircraft as a '767 Airbus')

Bravemouth: Living with Billy Connolly
Bravemouth: Living with Billy Connolly by Pamela Stephenson Connolly (Audio CD - 17 Nov. 2003)
Used & New from: £1.99