on 23 September 2003
The Sky Sports yearbook ( formerly Rothmans ) is a must for all football buffs and fans alike. Packed with information, stats and many interesting features it is a book I look forward to buying before the start of a new season.
I have every copy since 1986 - 87 season, every year the price goes up. I've never minded this, as it is an exceptional read.
However ,last year without looking for ,I found several mistakes, which I thought were lazily researched. I wrote to Mr Jack Rollins ( the auther )to bring this to his attention. Several months later I recieved a letter from Mr Rollins, explaining that his Scottish correspondent ( 90 % of my complaints were about mistakes made about Scottish football )would be in touch. True enough I have had several conversations with the correspondent. In fact for this years book, I helped him with several bits of information he had wrong.
This years book is even worse for errors. This time I found several, again without looking for them. One example is Boltons Florent Lavilles date of birth is given as 7 / 8 / 1983. This would make him 10 years old when he made his debut for previous club Lyon! There are a lot more, much worse than this.
I find the coverage of Scottish football a big let down. Every player from all 96 English teams has their stats noted. However the 12 SPL teams are given 2 pages each. Surely it wouldn't be to much effort to give stats for these players to?
Over the whole The year book is quality. However I'm becoming dissilusioned with the amount of mistakes cropping up.Mistakes can't be helped but some of them I found were just plain sloppy. It boasts great things but it isn't the book it once was.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again