5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend this book to all potential bakers!, 1 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking (Hardcover)
This is an excellent and very thorough book that covers all the essential recipes that are associated with baking. With beautiful photos to accompany the text it is hard to stop yourself wanting to whip up some of the food there and then! Sue Lawrence consistently produces books of a high calibre and this is no exception. The recipes range from the traditional to the more innovative and each are accompanied with a story about the origins of the recipe or an anecdote associated with the recipe which in themselves are a joy to read. Too often i find that recipe writers simply plunk down the recipe with no introduction to it, with this author's book you come away knowing not just recipes but also their background and a bit of the author's life. If we are being honest not all of us will have time to produce every recipe in the book - as much as we would like to! - but with this book it is enough to enjoy it as a good read, standing alone from the cooking element of it.
In conclusion i would urge that people buy this book so as to rediscover the baking skills they didn't know that they had or even just to have something very comforting to read at bedtime. All in all a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure heaven!!, 15 Dec. 2006
E. Woodham (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking (Hardcover)
I purchased this cook book having seen Sue Lawrence on UKFood demonstrating her coca cola chocolate cake, and have been hooked ever since! There is a broad spectrum of home baking recipies - all easy to follow and all delicious! The carrot cake has become a favourite at my daughters school fete's.

This book has been borrowed by all my family and we have not had one failure yet.

Ok, it may not be "healthy" today to enjoy home baking but as sue says at least you know what is in your own home cooking and baking with your children is fun for all concerned, if a little messy.

I cannot praise this book highly enough. Also, the cola cake sounds awful but is VERY tasty!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommeded, but don't be fooled by the "healthy" chapter, 30 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking (Hardcover)
I initially borrowed this book from the library, but when I made nine recipes in the first week it became clear I needed my own copy. Since then I've baked from it repeatedly, with delicious results every time. The book is quite broad in scope, with savoury recipes featuring as heavily as sweet ones, and almost everything is just begging to be tried (the exceptions are a couple of cloyingly sweet childhood treats - the author clearly has a sweeter tooth than I do!). My only complaint is that the "healthy" section is nothing of the sort - Ms Lawrence seems to think that the inclusion of oats in a recipe negates the unhealthiness of large quantities of butter and sugar. Still, if you accept that baking is best enjoyed in moderation, this book is hard to fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars used over and over again!, 16 May 2009
Lisa Haydney (Cornwall, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking (Hardcover)
Everything i have made from this book has worked brilliantly, I use this book over and over again. The carrot cake is one of the best I have ever tasted, its actually called Passion cake in the book, and the Brownies and the Blondies are to die for...I have had several marriage proposals! I highly reccomend this book to anyone, simply fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 22 Aug. 2013
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking (Hardcover)
I work in a tearoom and use this book for a lot of my baking, and am constantly getting compliments for it. It's the best dark chocolate brownie recipe i've ever had, and the best ginger loaf.

Very easy to follow and doesn't waffle about too much. Recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars V. Good, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking (Hardcover)
Very pleased with my purchase good value for money can't think of anything else to say thank you vert much

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 May 2015
This review is from: Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking (Hardcover)
wonderful book full of cakes i never heard of,but hope to try.

Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking
Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking by Sue Lawrence (Hardcover - 31 Aug. 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01