4.0 out of 5 stars Good to be back
Published on 30 April 2005 by shanson60

3.0 out of 5 stars one for the 'lads'
If you find peeing in the wash-basin overnight funny, this is for you. A lad's account of drinks and funny pastimes amongst the more eccentric summer customs of the English at play.
Published on 28 Aug 2003 by Ms. E. A. Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to be back, 30 April 2005
This review is from: A Fete Worse Than Death (Paperback)
Having lived overseas for the last ten years I wanted to reaquaint myself with British life - and find out the reasons I missed home so much. Having already read Notes from a Small Island I plunged into a Fete Worse than Death and UK on a G String - both, mad, irreverant tales of madness that, I'm proud to say, could only have been written about Britain. Ian Aitch is one to look out for - can't wait for the next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bryson!, 20 Oct 2003
Nearly didn't pick this up as the cover looked a bit naff, but what is inside delivers magnificently. Where Bryson ambles and stumbles (endearing though this can be), Iain Aitch cuts to the chase and gets the best out his subjects, be it information, laughs or an insight into their odd world. Cutting and cruel at times but always with a fondness for most of the oddballs that he meets and the very concept of the English summer itself. Can't wait until next summer myself so that I can check out a few of the things in here for myself. This book is a love/hate affair that sums up how we all feel about the summer in England very eloquently and very funnily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew, what a scorcher!, 25 May 2004
This review is from: A Fete Worse Than Death (Paperback)
At turns cutting, warm, affectionate and cruel this exploration of what we Englanders get up to on our time off is the funniest thing I have read in years. One man's vision of English eccentrics,holidaymakers, the middle classes, the poor at Pontins and the strange events that bring us out in the summer months.Watching football with hippies and tourists,attending fetes with his missus and just summing up why we don our knotted hankies and head off down the beach whether the sun is shining or not -- just because it is summer.Can't reccomend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finest ever Brit travelogue, 20 Aug 2004
This review is from: A Fete Worse Than Death (Paperback)
This is a funny and brilliant exploration of what it is to be English, how we relate to the sun and leisure and what we all get up to in the summer. Far more than merely a travel book, this is truly a side-splittingly funny insight into the English psyche as well as a page turning read. A superb new writer who knocks Bryson and Theroux into a cocked hat.
Funny contests and odd holiday ideas abound, but what makes this is in the interaction and observation of the author. Feels like you are there with him looking over his shoulder (covering your eyes when needs be). My favourite book of this year so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars A View From Downunder, 20 Aug 2003
By A Customer
One of the funniest books I have read in a long time. Bill Bryson makes observations, Iain Aitch not only makes observations but participates in those activities that the English truely English!! A great view of English culture and a laugh on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome delight, 8 Sep 2003
Sick of reading about Goa and Thailand adventures when all I can afford is Bournemouth, so this was a welcome delight. So very funny and revealing about the English.Boyfriend and I both snorted, giggled and guffawed our way through it.
Best travel book I have read for some time and the funniest too!

3.0 out of 5 stars one for the 'lads', 28 Aug 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars No mean fete, 23 May 2003
Iain Aitch (founder of the Tufty Road Safety Film Re-enactment Society) provides a corking read with his inaugural tome involving travelling tales during a typical English summer.
This autobiographical holiday diary documents people watching, geek spotting and anal-retentive armoured car logging, as well as including much mischievous musings regarding the riot re-enactments of Mods and Rockers, Punch and Judy massacres, and a personal obsession with box junction etiquette.
One wonders what the English get up to during the rest of the year?!? Perhaps, Iain Aitch is the man up to the job of finding out!
Buy this book and then re-enact it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As English as warm beer, 11 Nov 2003
Great book that had me laughing to myself as well as out loud on occassion. Very funny dissection of my fellow Englanders at play and was nice to read about how crop circles are made. Enjoyed the hands-on approach, especially in the chapter on my home town of Blackpool. Made me almost homesick and want to get back. Reminded me of Tony Hawks Round Ireland with a Fridge but all in all a little funnier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared for odd looks, 19 Aug 2003
This is so laugh out LOUD funny. Though there is no toe-sucking, so not sure what one of the below reviewers is on about - maybe she was a victim of his sharp tongue on his travels. Far funnier than the dullness of Bryson and every bit as engaging as someone like Pete McCarthy. Maybe she was someone he slagged off on the way round the country! Lots of acerbic witiness but not at the expense of engaging and informative clever prose. Hands on enough for those who like Hunter S Thompson but giggling on the bus funny like Tony Hawks or Jon Ronson. Best book about the English since H V Morton's 'In Search of England' and seeing as that was about 80 years ago this writer goes some. And he gets east anglia down to a tee!

A Fete Worse Than Death
A Fete Worse Than Death by Iain Aitch (Paperback - 7 Jun 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01