5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful novel that makes you re-evaluate your views.
This has to be one of the best books I have read in a long time. It is certainly a quality book but without being heavy like an old classic. It is well-researched and contains powerful imagery and detailed descriptions of Crete. It makes you want to go and look up the places on the internet so you can see exactly where the novel is set. It is tragic without being...
Published on 16 July 2006 by P. Bradburn

2.0 out of 5 stars Different books for different types of readers
I enjoyed The Island but I think it has to be admitted that it cast leprosy in an "old" light: a book mentioned below, John Tayman's The Colony was aimed at the serious reader who wants to know about leprosy from a non-fiction viewpoint, and Dinah Kung's Under Their Skin offers readers a more complex, engrossing novel where leprosy medicine is in the fabric of the story,...
Published on 20 Feb 2007 by student

fabulous book

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Condition, 6 May 2014
R. Wilson (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
I have not read the actual book yet, which was recommended to me. But, the condition of the book is awful. When it arrived, it was not as described. Very poor, almost unhygienic condition, whereas it had been described as very good. I would not recommend you buy from this seller as having looked back at his reviews now, there are a lot like mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst I have read in a long time, 27 May 2007
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
Absolutely awful. I struggled to complete this and wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't been one for my book club. What ought to have been a moving and engaging story about the impact of the terrrible disease of leprosy, turned out to be a 2 dimensional family saga. Although some the descriptions about the beauty of Crete were OK, the characterisation was terrible and some the language cringe making, eg "Ed's angry eyes flashed at her like sapphires... " ugh!!! At one point I wondered if the author was trying to copy Captain Correlli's Mandolin, but if so, she sadly missed the mark.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish, 11 July 2007
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
I agree completely with the bad reviews. I can't remember the last time I read something so badly written. I read it in Crete on holiday so I was really in the mood and the basic idea of the book is a good one. But what a disappointment. It's just a Barbara Cartland style trash love story based in Crete. None of the characters is even slightly credible.What were the publishers thinking of? I left the book in Crete without even finishing the last few pages - I really didn't care how it ended!

1.0 out of 5 stars don't spoil your holiday, 25 May 2014
T. S. Waddington (Northampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
This book was pressed on me as a 'lovely holiday read' for my recent stay in Scotland. How I wish I had taken my previous read Kate Atkinson's LIFE AFTER LIFE, a work so vastly superior as to make any comparison irrelevant. Clearly anyone without her connections would have had the manuscript returned to them with polite regrets. I agree with all that has been said by the negative reviewers. Hislop must have tears of laughter 'running down her arms' when she thinks of how she has conned people.

5.0 out of 5 stars eighty, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Island (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me by my daughter who was sure i would enjoy it and she could not have been more right. The story was quite captivating and so well written that the characters seemed real and the unexpected happening in the middle took me by surprise. I enjoyed every minute reading this book and was sorry when it finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great page turner, 29 May 2013
Richardsannesky Com "AnnR" (South Wales UK) - See all my reviews
It Told the story of the Spanish civil war through
A family a great page turner
Very sad but uplifting in he end

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 19 May 2012
This review is from: The Island (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on a recent holiday and can honestly say I couldn't put it down - a real page turner. Right from the very beginning the reader is drawn into the story and the characters are vividly drawn by the author. The best book I have read in a very long time and I didn't want it to end. So much so that I already downloaded another of Victoria Hislop's novels. Victoria Hislop was recommended to me by a friend and I wasn't disappointed. This book would make a very good film.

‹ Previous | 181 82 8391 | Next ›

The Island
The Island by Victoria Hislop (Paperback - 10 April 2006)
8.00