4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read!
This is the first Maggie O'Farrell book I've read and I loved it. Will definitely be reading more of her in the future.

Published on 6 Jun 2007 by A Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling...
I found this very readable and finished it within 24 hours. The horror story of Esme's incarceration is shocking because it is something that really happened to thousands of victims.

Published on 29 Mar 2009 by M. C. Holliman

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read!, 6 Jun 2007

I loved this book. I whizzed through it in a weekend it was so unputdownable. Although the author's writing style is kept very simple and the story is revealed through minimum facts, there is still something about it that really made me empathise with Esme. I felt genuinely moved by the loss of her life to a mental institution. it was such a heart-wrenching read in that respect. I thought the characterisation of Esme was fabulous - one of the best female characters I've read for a long time. I think Iris and A;ex were slightly weaker characters and I think the author could have done a bit more to develop them.

I agree with what another reader has said on here that the book does leave you wanting more. Although I respect O'Farrell for giving the author the benefit of the doubt to fill in the gaps in the story that she has left, I would also have liked a bit more 'padding out' - especially regarding Esme's incarceration. However, despite this, it was still a wonderful read. I would urge anyone to read it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written page turner, 11 Jun 2007
K. French (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Paperback)
I have previously read another Maggie O'Farrell, and loved her gentle narrative, so thought "The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox" would be the perfect holiday read. The book contains a bit of everything, intrigue, love, sadness and even some humour, and tells of the huge betrayal of Esme Lennox by her sister, and the susbsequent consequences. I loved the portrayal of Esme as a quirky, rebellious character fighting against the typical expectations of her family, and enjoyed hearing the story from several different angels, that of Esme herself, her sister, and her newly found relative. The whole tale builds up to a climatic finale, which left a slightly disturbing flavour, but is befitting and not out of line with the rest of the book. Overall, a highly recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favourite Novel, 7 Feb 2007
Lucy Sampson (Keswick, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
I have to start this review with a warning: if you pick up this book you won't be able to put it down until you've finished. Nothing else will get done - you won't be able to answer the phone, cook a meal, pick up your emails, anything. You'll just have to sit there, stuck to your chair, and keep on reading.

This is the story of a woman put into an asylum for doing nothing more than trying on some of her mother's clothes and refusing to cut her hair. Not the behaviour of an insane person but the normal things a teenager does. But Esme has been born into a repressive, pre-Second-Worl-War society and so any slight rebellion is seen as a sign of an unsound mind.

It is a brilliant, evocative, moving book. I cried about four times, especially towards the end. It moves back and forth from the 1930s to the present-day Edinburgh. Esme's niece, Iris, is called to the asylum to meet the great-aunt she never knew she had. At first she's reluctant to have anything to do with her but then she gets caught up in the mystery that is Esme Lennox...

I can't find the words to recommend this book enough. BUY IT. IT'S GREAT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not long enough for me!, 3 Jun 2007
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Maggie O Farrell and have yet to read anything of hers without utterly enjoying it - this story was no exception. I devoured it in two short sittings. Her writing is completely human, absorbing and emotional. This is a story of a wasted life, through ignorance and intolerance. I felt helpless by the end of it and certain paragraphs moved me to tears and will haunt me for a long time.

My only criticism, borne of a selfish need, is that it didn't go on long enough for me - there wasn't enough bulking out of the characters. Kitty's disjointed ramblings gave the most away but I would have liked to have heard more from Esme. More about their family life. More about her incarceration. More about her healing. More about Iris fitting together the pieces of the puzzle. Just more more more! But I suppose thats the mark of an excellent book, is it not...?

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for Vanishing!, 26 Aug 2007
M. L. Hindmarch "Slighty foxed" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Paperback)
A fine, mature, and psychologically perceptive novel which has been elegantly and skilfully crafted.
O' Farrell has woven a compelling plot with a strong sense of time (from the 1930s to the present) and place (India & Edinburgh), each anchored by rich sensory detail.Thorough research and observation clearly underpin this novel but they are neither heavy-handed nor self-conscious. Her characterisation seemed to me to be effective and persuasive.
Esme - the protagonist's previously unknown elderly relative upon whose discovery, after she had been held for sixty years in a lunatic asylum, the plot hangs - illuminates a significant theme of the novel (p 134)when she decides that "[w]e are all ... just vessels through which identities pass: we are lent features, gestures, habits, then we hand them on. Nothing is our own. We begin in the world as anagrams of our antecedents." But, as her life demonstrates dramatically, that is at the beginning and we go on to be shaped by our actions, and the social mores against which they are evaluated.
This is a 'good read' with an ending which, although finally unsurprising, presents itself as a possibility (unwelcome though just)sufficently late in the tale's unfolding to shock. Its impact unsettled me for some time after I had, reluctantly, finished the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fastest read this year., 31 Oct 2007
Theo (Oakham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Paperback)
The last book I read took me six weeks, and it was OK, this took 23 hours.... with some sleep and a family lunch thrown in. It totally gripped me.....
I loved her first book, I trusted a cover review which said this was her best since, they were right.
We are also having this as a book club choice later this month, with a guest attending, who works in the sort of area of which Esme was forced into. I think it will be very intersting to hear their views.
I loved the portrayal of Esme, and was very glad to read her 'result' at the end.
Kitty did a dreadful thing, but had been driven to it by the same attitude of the times and walls of silence which struck Esme. They were both victims of their current circumstances. I hope we will not look back on todays strictures and find them so wrong in 60 years time.
Things which seem so normal and desirable at the time, can reveal themselves to be damaging and rotten years later. This book might keep us looking out for such errors?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 3 Oct 2006
C. Musgrove (Wales) - See all my reviews
I fell in love with the protagonist in this book. I think it's hard not to. Her character is so engaging that you can't help but feel what she feels. This is one of those books that you can't put down for a second, and when you do the characters linger. You find yourself wondering after them and what became of them. It's a rare book that can have such an effect; the type you search for a rarely find. I challenge anyone not to adore Esme by the end of this book.

I've never previously read any of Maggie O'Farrell, but I think this book will be the start of something beautiful!

Seriously though, if you want something that's immediately arresting, shocking, but also highly amusing, 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox' has it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Maggie O'Farrell, 30 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Paperback)
Having bought my copy at Christmas, I saved it up until I knew I'd have time to read it in two or three sittings. I was right to do so - it gripped until the end.

Unlike some other reviewers, I actually liked all of the characterisation because I felt there were parallels being drawn between the restricted, class strangled thirties and today. Is Iris any more free than Esme sixty years ago? She can make decisions for herself and run her own business, but she still ends up in a relationship with a married man who is a liar, and she still denies the love she truly feels. Esme and Kitty, however, are forced into a way of life that you either embraced (Kitty) or railed against (Esme). Kitty, for all her compliance, ends up unhappy and not with the man she wants. Esme ends up in an institution because she's free-spirited.

The major theme is a serious one and one that is not visited too often. I know myself of two women who were sent to a local asylum in the late 1920s because they suffered post-natal depression and epilepsy respectively. Nowadays these women would be on medication, not shut away at the whim of a third party whose life is easier without them. The two women I'm talking about were on the same ward until they died and never knew that one's son had married the other one's daughter.

So it did happen, it's not unthinkable, and I believe that Maggie O'Farrell has drawn, with skill and grace, a tale of loss that many women and families can relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 26 Aug 2010
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Paperback)
I read a huge number of books every year, and although I read many which are fine, I rarely read any which are outstanding. When I find one I love to savour it, and this book is truly outstanding. It tells the story of Esme, a girl out of her time, whose failure to conform to standards of Edwardian social expectations lead her to be incarcerated in a mental hospital, labelled a schizophrenic.

Sixty years down the line the mental hospital is about to be closed down, and Esme's great niece, Iris, is contacted to see if she is willing to take on Esme's care. Iris is shocked, not even having known of Esme's existence in the first place, and so begins the interweaving of two totally different and yet intimately connected lives.

The story is powerful and yet told with such a sense of poetic grace and real beauty that it seems almost like reading someone's account of a dream. The prose is exquisite, there are some wonderful plot twists and I also liked the fact that the story was not neat and tidy in terms of answering all your questions as a reader. I am now going to read everything else I can get my hands on by O'Farrell.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling..., 29 Mar 2009
M. C. Holliman (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Paperback)

It is well-written and moves along at a good pace, and I enjoyed the switching between the present and past. O'Farrell has a gift for portraying the child's point of view and the early memories, with their tiny, vivid details are particularly charming.

The ambiguities and tabboos of Iris's relationship with her step brother could have been explored further, (or maybe that is for another novel..)
The freedom that Iris takes for granted stands out in sharp contrast to the stifling world of Esme's youth.

O'Farrell concludes the story well with quite a satisfing ending.

This novel didn't make me weep, as I was not deeply enough engaged with the characters. However, Esme's story is a tragic one and the heartbreak is that for many women, this was a true story.

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell (Paperback - 26 Feb 2013)
8.00