5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 16 Feb 2007 by A. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - light read
I enjoyed this book, although as chick lit goes Lucy Hawking is not yet in the league of Marian Keyes and Jane Green. The book has good characters and a good basic storyline although occasionally goes too far into the land of the far-fetched. A good light summer read though!
Published on 9 April 2006 by Mrs. K. N. Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Feb 2007
A. Smith (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Accidental Marathon (Paperback)
I came across this by chance and remembered enjoying "Jaded" a few years ago. This is different, a smoother read, with the raw vitality of Jaded but in a more digestible form. It's not Shakespere, but it deifinately has layers; it examines the bizarre friendships that are waiting around every corner if we just reach out for them as well as the possibilities that lie within us if we are prepared to risk everything.

Just like Jaded included interesting commentary on corruption in The City and the charity sector while pretending to be chicklit, under the silly lippy, TAM reveals some seriously sordid facts abut the fine art busines and makes us ask questions on international community policy in ex-Yugoslavia, such as why Croats, Kosovo Albanians etc can all be allowed independence yet not Bosnian Serbs?

This is a very impressive book and it deserves to sell far more than it has; I fear that Ms Hawking may be making a commercial mistake in putting too much frothy cream on the pudding - burying her talent as an investigative journalist. I know from reading the background in articles about her famous father that she worked in New York and all over eastern Europe as a journalist in the aftermath of the cold war, so she has plenty to say, as well as the talent with which to say it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Jan 2006
MR TOM A KENDALL (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Accidental Marathon (Paperback)
When a friend of mine gave me this book and said I would enjoy it, I wasn't so sure. Usually I read thrillers, not books with quite girly covers. But I was surprised and pleased by how gripping the plot line was. It is a light read and it's definitely not Andy McNab. But as well as love, London life and
marathon running, there is a serious and very up to the minute plot line about war in the Balkans, tracking wanted criminals by very unusual means and the devious methods of the CIA. If you're a man, don't be put off by the cover. Well worth a look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - light read, 9 April 2006
Mrs. K. N. Green "just2dizzy" (isle of wight, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book but didnt get me excited, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Accidental Marathon (Paperback)
I read a lot of chick lit books, I ordered this as it looked good, the book was ok but it was not a page turner

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly enjoyable read, 2 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Accidental Marathon (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Hawking's second book. I always find it difficult to read books that have characters that are similar to me and my life (30-something urban professional) -- unless they are funny or have a bit of a twist. The Accidental Marathon is both amusing and has some excellent twists and turns, plus mad Balkans to boot.
I highly recommend this to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars At the end of a hard day...., 27 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Accidental Marathon (Paperback)
curl up with this book. A great way to escape from the stress of everyday life, have a laugh and maybe learn a little bit about the Balkans.
It's definitely chick lit, but without the sex and only a smidgin of romance. My sister, who never reads novels of any kind, was driven by boredom on a long train journey to borrow my copy, and thorougly enjoyed it, which is probably the best compliment I could give this book.
A page-turner, a laugh-out loud read, with a bit of foreign exoticism (albeit in Belgrade)...

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 20 Nov 2008
Julie Barnard (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Accidental Marathon (Paperback)
This book was a waste of time. It is written childishly and has a very very WEAK storyline. It was not entertaining and the only reason why I finished the book is because I was in a situation wher eI had nothing else to read.

I do not recommend this read.

The Accidental Marathon
The Accidental Marathon by Lucy Hawking (Paperback - 6 Feb 2006)