4.0 out of 5 stars A decent effort.
Published on 6 July 2004 by Leontia Hoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking Something.
Published on 10 Aug. 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent effort., 6 July 2004
Leontia Hoy (belfast, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Hardcover)
Ten Big Ones, the tenth novel in the Stephanie Plum series , is yet another funny, action packed and fast paced ride on the wild side.Unfortunately Ten Big Ones does not measure up to earlier efforts by Janet Evanovich, and in my opinion it is too short and even though the ending is very interesting, it seemed awfully rushed to me.Ranger, the best character in the Plum novels, is not in the book for close to 150 pages whereas Lula and Stephanie are left to carry the story along.The villains are good and Morelli is coming on nicely but Ten Big Ones is not a great novel.Hard Eight, in my estimation the best Stephanie Plum novel to date has all the elements Ten Big Ones is lacking;Lots of Ranger, mysterious plotlines and not stupid forced laughs, bundles of Albert Kloughn and the characters each get a fair share of the narrative.Ten Big Ones is a funny, light read but isn't the best Plum novel.I hope Metro Girl, the new Evanovich franchise will be more exciting than Ten Big Ones...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Plum!, 30 Jun. 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
After finding "To the Nines" to be an almost perfect Plum, I was wondering how Ms. Evanovich could hope to match that wonderful book. You may recall that I found the mystery of "To the Nines" a little too easy to solve in the last 60 pages. I am delighted to report that Ms. Evanovich has written a perfect Plum this time. What an accomplishment!
To be this good, Ms. Evanovich must have gone back and examined every review she has ever received . . . and looked for ways to improve her writing.
Ten Big Ones has generous doses of all your favorite characters form the earlier books including Grandma Mazur, Lula, Morelli, Ranger, Connie, Valerie, Albert Kloughn, her Mom and Dad, and Sally Sweet . . . along with delightful cameos by such stalwarts as Vinnie Plum, the usual eye-rolling members of the Trenton PD, and Ranger's crew.
Ten Big Ones has more bounty hunts in it than ever before, and Stephanie plays a more complete role in trying to solve everyone's problems . . . not just bring in a felon for a body receipt.
Cars play a big role. There's romance. There's action. There's threat. There's family drama. It's marvelous!
Unlike other books in the series, you could begin with this one and still understand what is going on with few problems. The opening has a wonderful reintroduction of Stephanie and her life. But this book is so good, it will spoil you for the others. So please go back and start with One for the Money if you haven't read the others.
This book builds around being in the wrong place at the wrong time . . . and lets events develop from there.
Unlike many of the other books in the series, this one seems to have a more serious theme: What is the correct role for a single woman in a dangerous, demanding society? Stephanie craves the action, doesn't want to be "protected" too much . . . but does want to survive the experience. She's also torn in other ways, and the emotional development of her personality is quite interesting in this book.
But the humor is what I liked best about the book. The characterizations and descriptions are wonderful for adding to that humor.
I thought that the comic elements of the scenes were beautifully constructed. Each scene was more complex than I expected, and the complexity left a reward of a more detailed understanding of the characters as well as heartier laughs along the way. No one does comedy better!
As I finished the book, I realized that there's more than one way to get things done. But we do need to be persistent . . . so that eventually we get our man or woman!

(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Audio Cassette)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking Something., 10 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Hardcover)
Although "Ten Big Ones" is an entertaining enough light read, it is not nearly as good as the other books in the series. One of the pleasures of the Stephanie Plum series, is that you know exactly what to expect when you start reading one. Although all the usual characters are there, it doesn`t have as many laughs as the other books, and at the end left me thinking, "Is that it." I would still recommend fans to read it, but I do wonder how much longer the series can continue, especially to keep to the standard of the first nine books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plum good!!, 13 July 2004
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Hardcover)
I couldn't wait to read this book and overall I wasn't disappointed. I have to say it's not the best Stephanie Plum adventure, but it's right up there with the best of them. I laughed from the beginning, fom gentle chuckles to laugh-out- loud, crying laughter! Stephanie finds herself in a whole heap of trouble through bad luck and bad timing, as usual, and the book just got better and better for me the more I read. All the favourites are there - Grandma Mazur, Lula,Albert Kloughn & Valerie... and Sally Sweet pops back up driving a school bus and provides some great comedy moments - especially when he's trying to stop swearing because the kids are getting into trouble at school for using bad language!Having Stephanie hiding out at Ranger's flat (without permission!)was a great touch - I was turning every page hoping that this would be the page for him to catch her red-handed.
My only real downside to number 10 was not enough Ranger, which is why I gave 4 stars and not 5, but overall I loved this and will re-read it again and again as I do the others and feel sure all Plum fans won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not The Ripest Plum, 26 Jun. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Hardcover)
I love the Stephanie Plum books, and as a fan who intends to re-read this one many times, I'll start with something practical.
Ignore the cover image above. Thankfully this book doesn't come with a menacing man surrounded by pink swirls. It is pink, but the cover is plain, and not too gaudy.
Thank goodness for another madcap Plum story packed with the usual zany characters, plus a welcome re-appearence by Sally Sweet, although we see all to little of him.
A very enjoyable romp, but felt a little as though Evanovich was running out of steam with her cast. There are only so many times a girl can make up and brake up with a guy before the illusion of reality begins to fade, and Stephanie has about reached her limit.
Much as we all love the Morelli-Ranger-Stephanie triangle, to keep the story believable Steph has to make a choice sometime. Even if that choice changes somewhere down the line.
Apart from the lack of progression with the overall story arc, the plot was exciting, if a little more gritty than usual as it deals with the issues of gangs and torture.
The only criticism I have is that I miss the usual epilogue that Janet Evanovich often writes.
Usually the plotlines are resolved and we're left with a tease about Stephanies love life.
This book felt like it ended prematurely. Steph was in danger, then bang, the end which prevents me from awarding it full stars.
A really excellent read for the fans, slightly disappointing on some levels, but still a teriffic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as the Early Novels, 31 July 2005
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum 10) (Paperback)
Book ten of Evanovich's hapless bounty hunter series does everything you expect of a Plum novel there is family dysfunction aplenty, madcap humour, romantic tension and poor Stephanie's car this time doesn't even survive the first chapter.
Stephanie Plum is as ever in trouble, although it's not her fault, when she becomes the target of Trenton's burgeoning gangland scene. In the midst of hiding out from a contract killer called Junkman, Stephanie has to deal with her sister's impending marriage, Joe Morrelli's overprotectiveness, her fears that she's getting fat, and that she's currently hiding out in Ranger's mysterious home base, dubbed the Bat Cave.
I loved this installment; Ranger gets more page time as Stephanie's love life threatens to become tangled yet again, Sally Sweet the drag queen musician(Four to Score) makes a memorable and welcome return, and the mystery is tense as Stephanie becomes wiser about her job perils if not better equipped to deal with them.
Stand out scenes for me here are Lulu, Stephanie, and Connie's attempt at menace when they try and get information from a gang member, but Stephanie's reactions to uncovering Ranger's bat cave in particular his shower gel come a close second. A great return to form that had me putting the book down repeatedly to regain control from laughing too hard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another delicious Plum, 21 Jun. 2004
L O'connor (richmond, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Hardcover)
I had a terrible dream the other night. I dreamt I went into my local bookshop to buy the new Stephanie Plum novel, only to find that it had been co-authored by Charlotte Hughes. I woke up screaming. Happily, it was just a nightmare. 'Ten Big Ones' is pure Evanovich, and it is as funny, exciting, and utterly delightful as all the rest of this wonderful series. I started laughing as soon as I started the first page, and hardly stopped until I reached the end. Stephanie Plum, incompetent but lucky bounty hunter, falls foul of a deadly street gang who set out to hunt her down. She needs somewhere safe to hide, and finds her way to what she thinks is the BatCave, home of super-sexy fellow-bounty hunter Ranger. Naturally, the other super-sexy man in her life, yummy cop Joe Morelli, isn't too happy about this. What with avoiding street gangs, sorting out her confused feelings about Morelli and Ranger, and preparing for her sister Valerie's wedding with Albert Kloughn, Stephanie has a busy time. All the beloved characters are here, feisty Grandma Mauzer, outrageous Lula, and of course, Rex, Stephanie's immortal hamster (he must be about 500 in hmaster years by now, I should think). And there is a welcome reapperance of drag queen Sally Sweet, roped in to act as Valerie's wedding planner. As always, I find myself torn between admiring Stephanie's determination to continue with her bounty hunting career, and exasperation at her huffy attitude twoards Morelli because he wants to protect her from danger. "Of course he wants to protect you, you idiot!" I want to yell at her "He loves you, what kind of a man would he be if he didn't want to keep you safe?" I would like to think that I would continue with the bounty hunting like Stephanie, but have a sneaky feeling that if I was Morellie's girlfriend, and he told me to give it up, I would hand my notice in at once. When I read the scene where he puts handcuffs on her at the dinner table, I had to break off reading for a while and go and have a cold shower. Of course, in real life it would probably be a bit trying to have all that gorgeousness around the house, too much of strain to live up to. Never mind, on the printed page Morelli and Ranger are really hot, the story is thrilling and hilarious, the characters a delight. This is a terrific book. If you liked the others you'll love this one too, if you haven't read any of the others, it doesn't matter, each book in the series can stand on it's own.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Babe", 18 Jan. 2005
Mr. Joe (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ten Big Ones (Hardcover)
"Halfway through lathering with Ranger's shower gel I was barely able to focus. The scent seemed to swell around me ... and I was surrounded by Essence of Ranger... I was living a wet dream... Next time I broke into Ranger's apartment I would bring my own soap."
Besides being a disaster-prone bounty hunter working for her bailbondsman cousin Vinnie in Trenton, NJ, Stephanie Plum has a history of man problems throughout the ten-book series in which she is the engaging heroine. Primarily, there's Joe Morelli, the Trenton plainclothes cop with whom she has a sexual history dating back to when both were pre-teens, and with whom she has a relationship that could be called committed if it weren't for the regular spats that keep Stephanie moving in and out of Joe's house like a revolving door. Then there's Ranger, the frighteningly capable ex-Special Forces type that runs his own security business and does the odd fugitive apprehension job on the side for Vinnie, all the while bailing Plum out of tight spots, much to Joe's jealous chagrin. Extremely mysterious, Ranger drives expensive black vehicles, dresses all in black, and presumably returns each night to an unknown location of fable and legend among admiring females known as the Bat Cave. Why, Ranger can set Stephanie's heart (and other body parts) aflutter simply by placing his hand on her back and intoning "Babe".
I'm giving TEN BIG ONES the uncommonly low score of three stars. True, there's the usual series of wacky events and personalities that Plum fans savor. But after ten novels, that's to be expected and nothing new. Here, an unusual set of circumstances has Stephanie discovering what she perceives to be the Bat Cave while Ranger is out of town. Having recently moved out from Morelli's (again) in a huff, and needing a place to stay while hiding from a vicious street gang killer, Plum takes up uninvited residence in Ranger's space - and enjoys his shower gel. If you're a faithful follower of the Plum series, as I am, and remember what Stephanie has done to one or two of Ranger's vehicles and employees, then you can see the potential here. But it goes unrealized, and I can hardly believe that Evanovich missed the opportunity.
TEN BIG ONES also suffers from an ending perhaps more abrupt than usual. On the other hand, we get to see in action Connie, Vinnie's office manager, one of those bit players heretofore pretty much ignored, much like both Vinnie himself and Plum's long-suffering Dad. As I assume that the Plum series has a very long run ahead - Evanovich being a victim of her own success - I can only hope that these characters will eventually be spotlighted.
I've previously suggested Sandra Bullock to play Stephanie in any film adaptation. Now, let me propose Antonio Banderas as Ranger.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum 10)
Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum 10) by Janet Evanovich (Paperback - 6 Jun. 2005)
In stock on June 2, 2015