4.0 out of 5 stars Travels with a Hot Water Bottle
Way back in the 70s I was lucky enough to spend 29 days in India. So that's why this book appealed to me. Like the cover the content is amusing and if you read the book in public you may find that people move away from you because most pages will cause your lips to break into a smile. Some people find that disturbing.

The author has travelled extensively in...
Published on 21 Aug 2008 by RM

3.0 out of 5 stars what your guide book won't tell you
Published on 2 April 2010 by Celeste

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Travels with a Hot Water Bottle, 21 Aug 2008
This review is from: A Girls' Guide to India - A Survivor's Handbook (Paperback)

The author has travelled extensively in India and has amassed more than a backpack of hints, tips and essential advice which were screaming to be shared with more than a handful of travellers.

This is no dry tome of Nanny-knows-best facts. The book is cleverly divided into bite-sized chunks by letters of the alphabet. I found the book so interesting that I was up to M before I had even drawn breath. I forced myself to set it aside as I was in grave danger of resigning from my job, throwing a piece of string and a hot water bottle into a bag and catching the bus to Heathrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must to have for girls travellers, 15 Aug 2008
A. Garcia (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This book brings you to a real understanding of what to bring, how to react, when to go and any question a girl can have while planning a trip to India.
If you ever been travelling to India then you will find so many common situations that will put a smile on your face.

I'm loving this book so so much , I keep smiling in each chapter (letter) as I can see me on those situations while I was there travelling...

A really must to have

Ana

3.0 out of 5 stars what your guide book won't tell you, 2 April 2010
Celeste (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a great book to read before your trip, in addition to your guidebook. It tells you things like what to do when you need a toilet and how to get tea without milk or sugar. It focuses on things that are relevant to women, which is important because being in India is a completely different experience for men and women. I brought it with me on a work trip and found it useful to read there, but wouldn't have taken it if I was backpacking. I think it would be good to read before, and then when you get home and are nostalgic. A lot of the advice is totally personal, but that is also the book's charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, informative, accurate, 27 Feb 2012
Mrs. C. C. Stevens "caroline" (tunbridge wells) - See all my reviews
Just back from a month in India, I bought this book before we left, and it is excellent. Easy to read, funny, but great advice and answers all those little niggles you worry about before you go. It is also great to read on your return because it explains a lot of things you may not have had time to find out. India is incredible, and this a a great book to start you on the road. Im no teenager..one of the grey brigade travelling the world and I found it very funny and informative, so would recommend it to any age group. Cant wait to plan the next trip

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 19 July 2010
Jood (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this for my daughter who is off to India and Beyond in a few weeks, so I can only go off what she says, which is that it's the best travel book she's read....packed with relevant information and very entertaining to read. It has apparently been passed on to one of her travelling companions who told me, only yesterday, that it's a really interesting and amusing read...she in turn will pass it on to her sister who is a member of the India-bound party. I daresay it will be passed on to each member in turn and then packed into one of their bags.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all girls going to india, 19 May 2010
Ms. L. Roebuck (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as i am going travelling for 2months in india this summer and wondered what i should expect and this book certainly informs and prepares the female reader for all india has to offer! I would certainly recommend this book to any girl who is off travelling to india!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and informative, 2 Mar 2011
This book really takes you there! I'm planning to travel alone to India this year for 3 months, this book has helped me face some of my fears, answered lots of my questions and made me laugh on nearly every page. I strongly recommend it to any women planning to travel to India for the first time and also to anyone who just wonders what it would be like to go there.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 21 Sep 2010
Great book, feel very relaxed about the trip now. Full of information and funny too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for girls traveling to India, 3 Feb 2010
C. R. Nilson - See all my reviews
A both funny and serious book about all you need to know when travlling to India. Lots of laughs but very valid information as well about things from toilets to what to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Aug 2010
Interesting, useful and amusing - an enjoyable read that has left me feeling much better prepared for my trip. Highly recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Girls' Guide to India - A Survivor's Handbook
A Girls' Guide to India - A Survivor's Handbook by Louise Wates (Paperback - 14 July 2008)