Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 16 March 2008
I have read many coaching books in my time and they all follow the same pattern, they give you the drill and tell you what to do (this is fine as long as everything goes to plan, and the correct amount of players turn up, which we all know rarely happens!)This book, however, is different. This book asks you questions, asks you the reader how you can change and adapt the drills if you need to. Not only are you given a vast amount of drills but they are also explained in depth, the points at which we should be focusing and looking at are highlighted so that we can ultimately improve the players' ability. Anyone who has already achieved their FA Level 1 coaching badge and wants to prepare themselves for their Level 2 ought to read this. Be equipped for your Level 2 and be the top of the class. Perhaps you don't have the intention of taking your Level 2 and just want to improve as a coach yourself, then you should read this. I really cannot do this book justice merely by saying how superb it is, so buy this book and see for yourself. You will not be disappointed.
on 1 April 2008
Having been recommended the book by a coach at my football club, and personally not having much experience at coaching the past, this is a fantastic read to open your eyes to the Level 2 experience. I've been coaching for around 36 months now, attended the Level 1 course, researched drills from the internet and other books.

What this book gives you, is the ability to think out the box and gets you in the frame of mind for the Level 2 course. It doesnt only just get you thinking about the people involved in playing the football, but the environment that some times you take for granted. This may sound simple, but using the same coloured cones as boundry markers, and different colour cones for goal (hard when you have a pack of 50 white cones, but now invested in some colour cones).

It slides in nicely, questioning your own thoughts of coaching, why did that pass go wide? what could the player have done better? let recreate the situation and improve the player. The drills are well explained, simplified and gives natual progression.

I've recommdend this book to a number of people at the club, not just coaches, but parents who are thinking about going into coaching. It also has the added bonus of having a photo of one of the chaps I was on my Level 2 course with - good times!
on 7 January 2008
Unlike usual coaching books/guides, this book does not just give you a list of drills for you to set up and supervise, but promotes active coaching. Not only does it explain what each drill works on, but why, how to make it suitable to the players you are coaching, and also draws out your own ideas on to how you can differ the drill in order to make it more effective and/or challenging to the individuals involved. As a level 1 coach I found this book the most beneficial out of any material I have used to help improve my coaching ability and would recommend it to all.
on 21 March 2008
I echo the 2 previous reviews. The author should be congratulated on an excellent effort. Long overdue.

My small gripe is that 8V8 games are reccommended for U8 age group. You only learn to coach 7v7 at level 3.

PLEASE PLEASE all Level 1 or beginners use the 4v4 game format great for the kids under 11 years old. Easy to coach,as natural triangles emerge.It is the smallest realistic game format.

A good source for 4v4 is Give us Back Our Game and Pills drills both are free on the internet.

Use 4v4 in conjunction with Richards book, I could not reccommend a better combination.

Level 3 Coach
on 4 October 2013
As a newly qualified coach I had been looking for some new learning material for inspiration for my coaching. This book was a real surprise, lots of good drills and sessions. What I really like is its ability to push me as a coach to understand how best to deliver a session. I've tried many of the drills with my Under 8's and they always react really well. Have now purchased this book for a second time after someone stole my first copy - that's how worthwhile it is. Have also just got a copy of Richards latest book about coaching mini soccer and that looks like its going to be as good as this one!
on 29 October 2015
A very good coaching book - the thing I like about this book is that it is written in a very coach friendly way - it doesn't have page after page of coaching drill pictures that you find in other books (these can be good, but also confusing). This book is more advisory and developmental than providing a list of drill after drill - it gives you tips and methods for structuring your coaching and how to encourage your players to stop and think for themselves. The book does concentrate on coaching (at coaching sessions) rather than setting up the team for the game - I would have liked to have seen a section called "Match Day" or something which helps inexperienced coaches like me prepare for matches - I am still looking for a text which gives guidance on that subject! I really like the way the book feels almost handwritten - it looks a lot less commercial than polished than many other book, however - it flows through a set of thoughts, challenges and hand drawn drills - you could imagine the author having a version of this book on a notepad...- the format works for me!
on 29 January 2014
I found this book to be most helpful as I am about to undertake a coaching course, so this was a great place to start reading up before the course kicks in. Full of great tips and ideas
on 22 February 2010
I have just completed my FA Level 1 Coaching badge, and feel this book provides excellent support and ideas for anyone involved in coaching youth football.
on 6 September 2013
Although I am now 69, I have become a manager of my grandson's under 9 team, I have found the book very useful, and the service prompt.
on 11 September 2013
My husband loves this book. He manages as under 11s team and he says it gives him some great ideas for activities to do with the lads.