on 30 May 2014
Really nice book. Informative chapters on types of beans, pulses and grains, plus storage hints and tips. Very useful if you, like me are new to cooking with pulses. Good and varied selection of recipes, each one has a colour photo of the finished dish - I like to know what it's supposed to look like! In all, an attractive, colourful book on nice glossy paper with good, tasty recipes and lots of information too. Definitely recommended as it's the best book I've seen on this subject.
on 11 May 2014
My daughter asked me (about a week before her Birthday when I'd already got everything!) for a cookbook with pulses, bulgar wheat etc. etc. and so when I put that in my search box and this came up at Amazon, I was amazed to find everything she'd listed was in the book (some of the stuff she'd listed I'd never even heard of!).

She was absolutely thrilled with it, even more so because it not only gives lots of recipes, it describes in detail what each product is and what's good about it. She spent ages pouring over the book almost to the exclusion of everything else I'd spent lots of time and thought over, lol. Needless to say, she's used it a great deal.
This is a really good hardback book considering the price and compared to other books about the same subject. It starts by introducing all types of beans, grains, pulses and legumes and what you can make with them. It then lists loads of different recipes from breakfasts & smoothies, through main meals to puddings. What I found very useful was how to make humus and that you don't need milk to make good porridge.

This is one book that I use more than any of the others and I highly recommend it.
on 11 April 2016
Recently became a Vegan as well as being gluten free after a health scare & needed some recipes using natural proteins not processed look a likes. This book really fits the bill, although it does include dishes containing fish, meat & gluten. Great photos, great recipes & loads that I can tweak. The first 40 pages show all types of beans, grains & pulses, a bit of their history, uses, cooking tips etc. Everything catered for from breakfast through to dinner including appetizers & baking. I just love the cook's tips & variations noted on the bottom of the pages.
From someone who hated butterbeans at school & a life long fussy eater (so I am told), I have turned into someone who enjoys veg, beans, grains & pulses much to my own surprise!
Well worth the money & I still prefer an actual book to cook from, call me old fashioned.
on 14 March 2015
Can't have too many cookery books, even although some of the ideas and recipes may be in other books. This one is a smash hit, very informative, . It starts by introducing all types of beans, grains, pulses and legumes and what you can make with them. It then lists loads of different recipes from breakfasts & smoothies, through main meals to puddings, and breads. I personally like polenta and pepper bread and the barley bannock, which brought back a lot of memories for me. There is a recipe for savoy cabbage with Mushroom Barley, I just made the mushroom barley its brill, a bit like a barlerizoto. So give this book a go, if you no like sell it on................
on 20 December 2013
I am enjoying using this book Some recipes are old ones but are obviously standing the test of time
The new recipes are tasty and easy We have enjoyed many of them
on 23 January 2014
very pleased with the books I look forward to making new dishes the menus are easy to follow and use items most people would have in their cupboard
on 26 July 2014
This is a very good book for those who are interested in beans growing and buying it explains clearly how to soak dried beans .
The recipes are great and give you loads of starting ideas. Its a good book that we will not give away
on 14 February 2015
All these books from this reccomended buyer are very good and very nice and helpful lovely interesting recipies easy to follow would buy anytime really good seller I highly reccomend
on 4 March 2015
lovely book, healty recipes lots of great pictures, print a little small