5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read it earlier!!!
Published on 4 Aug. 2009 by A. McDonald

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, shame about the writing and the design
I was recommended to read this book. The content is good, if only someone had helped the authors to write it better. I found it patronising and turgid in style.
Published 18 months ago by Andrew Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read it earlier!!!, 4 Aug. 2009
A. McDonald (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vizualizing Research: A Guide to the Research Process in Art and Design (Hardcover)
This is a great book for any practice-based researcher. I'm in the closing stages of a PhD and I really wish I'd read this at the beginning of my research project. The content is comprehensive yet the language is simple. There are numerous examples drawn from already completed practice-based doctoral research. In particular, I found the analogy of a PhD being like an expedition (eg: maps, terrain, rivers, etc) to be very useful. I would certainly recommend this to anybody who is undertaking practice-based research in creative disciplines (especially those in the early stages).

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for creative arts researchers, 21 April 2010
When I first started my PhD research, I was at a complete loss when it came to articulating and structuring my arts-based research into a format that others would accept. That my research was interdisciplinary (between animation practice and psychology) further compounded my frustration, as I was getting a lot of help on how to conduct and write up scientific research (something I had never done before) but nobody was quite sure how I could take what I did know (digital animation) and use that to construct an appropriate arts-based methodology.

This book was effectively my third PhD supervisor for the first year of my project. Even today I still drop in and out of this book for help. In the last year or two a lot of visual art research books have emerged, which is great for our area of research - but this to me is where creative arts researchers ought to begin. My copy is getting quite worn now, as I've instructed my final year students to read it on a time-share basis as they begin to write up their dissertations!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, shame about the writing and the design, 6 Sept. 2013
Andrew Barker - See all my reviews
However, the worst thing about it is the text design, after the okay cover, the text design is a crime against publishing. For a book that is intended for designers and artists (i.e. people with a good degree of visual intelligence) the typography is truly hideous. Even more than the poor writing style this makes it unreadable. Shame really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good content, 11 Mar. 2014
Good content, rich and well written. Unfortunately the design is poor and does not benefit the reading and retention at all.
A book on visual research should not be so bad as a visual experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Nov. 2014
One of the most concise books in this field of art and design research...written without complex jargon

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Dec. 2014