5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a kids' book!
I loved the William books when I was a kid, and rereading these stories, they are even better and funnier than I remember them. I read somewhere they were originally written for adults, not children, as a comment on the fashions, trends and mores of the time, and some of the vocabulary would definitely not be familiar to most 11-year-olds.

Just a couple of...
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A reminder of childhood long ago
I would suspect many of the attitudes of parental/family/school discipline or social customs such as domestic servants will be lost on present generation of children but I would hope it would awaken a sense of the fun of climbing trees, exploring muddy streams and indulging in essentially harmless mischief.

Maybe it's chilhood through rose-tinted spectacles or...
Published 12 months ago by Bri

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a kids' book!, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)

Just a couple of minor quibbles on the Kindle edition - where there should have been illustrations, it just showed the word "Illustration" and the caption, and the chapters didn't start on an new page. I notice another reviewer did get the illustrations, so maybe my Kindle isn't set up right (though I did get the illustrations in another book). Anyway, I don't want to be too fussy, given the book is free and, I gather, was put together by volunteers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Domestic anarchy!, 12 Mar 2011
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
The William books were already 'vintage' when I read them as a child and had to be rescued from charity shops, so I wasn't quite sure how I would find these stories today - but to my huge relief they're just as funny, subversive and hysterical as I remember.

As another reviewer mentions, these books were originally written for adults, something which passed me by when I first read them, but which leaps to the eye now. William's good intentions, icy logic and sullen determination in the face of adults are a hilarious tribute to domestic mavericks everywhere.

If you haven't tried William before, then this is an excellent place to start - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage William ages well, 2 Jan 2011
S. Graham David (Italy) - See all my reviews
Readers who enjoyed the Wiliam books in their childhood need have no qualms about going back to them in mature age; like the best literature for children, they pass the test of time in both senses, over the decades and throughout life. There is nothing condescending about the tone: the readers are taken as seriously as the protagonist himself, which makes the comedy all the more irresistable. Orginal illustrations and(as far as I can tell)typography contribute to create an inviting time warp; I wonder what today's kids make of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars More William, 22 May 2013
Mr. J. Howell - See all my reviews
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
I have just acquired a Kindle and decided to try a free book.The one I chose was More William,I used to read the William books
60 years ago and I remember laughing out aloud at his antics.I wanted to know if they would have the same effect now and I was not disappointed.Very funny and well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A childhood memory, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
Came across this and remembered my boyhood reading and enjoying some 'William' stories on Radio 4 a couple of years ago. Just the thing for a coffee break - a chapter of this is just long enough. Many of the observations on society and politics are just as relevant today as when it was written between the wars! No sex, no swearing, no violence (well, not really) - just fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars classics, 11 May 2013
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
the William books are classics - even after all these years they still make me laugh - I really enjoyed the read - over 50 years since I first read them - a real tonic to cheer you up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super stuff, 13 May 2013
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
I've just re-read this because I remember enjoying it as a boy.
What I didn`t spot then was the more nuanced social commentary. An excellent read for all.

4.0 out of 5 stars More William, 2 Dec 2012
Peter Hesketh - See all my reviews
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
I was very much a William fan about seventy years ago. I must say that in my old age I do not get the same enjoyment that I did long ago. I like the stories when he misunderstands grown up situations an decides to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
This took me back to my childhood. It's a great book to read to youngsters because of the sillyness and naughtiness

5.0 out of 5 stars Anti-venom for whatever the 21st Century might try to inject., 13 Nov 2012
C. Baker (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More William (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the 36 odd titles in the series and a collection of early stories from the 1920s. The stories are brilliantly funny and capture the atmosphere of the time perfectly. An antidote to the 21st century.

More William
More William by Richmal Crompton (Audio CD - Feb 2004)
Used & New from: £75.31