5.0 out of 5 stars Superior spy fiction

Published on 9 July 2012 by Julia Flyte

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior spy fiction, 18 Jun 2012
M. D. Ripley "Mike Ripley" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Hardcover)
Loyal followers of Alan Furst's closely observed and highly atmospheric novels of spies and politics in Europe just before and during WWII will recognise one familiar (Hungarian) character in "Mission to Paris" (originally slated as "The Spies of Paris"), but new readers should not despair if they don't. It simply means they face the delicious prospect of discovering Furst's backlist of at least ten more brilliant novels. In this canon of work, Alan Furst has shown (and hopefully will continue to show) an iron grasp of the complexities of European history, politics and culture, into which he places characters who on the surface are compeletely out-of-their depth swimming against the tide of Fascist tyranny. The one thing Furst's characters have going for them is always that although they may be flawed human beings, they know that for evil to succeed all it needs is for good men (and women) to do nothing.
Do not expect bombs, exhibitions of unarmed combat, car chases or super-hero pyrotechnics. The level of violence in one Furst's books is usually on the same level as that in the movie "Casablanca" - when it's needed, it's there and it makes a point. But that is not to say his books are not thrilling - and occasionally downright chilling. In "Mission to Paris", the methods of an official Nazi press agency (actually a front for political warfare) are explained as follows (I paraphrase): "We (the Nazis) don't send out press releases, we send out operatives - and then let other people issue the press releases...."
"Mission to Paris" is a novel of close-plotting, immaculate history, rich atmosphere and fine, fine writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mission to Paris, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Hardcover)
Alan Furst continues to write gripping accounts of the period around and during the Second World War, mostly set in France. His latest novel does not disappoint and as usual manages to evoke quite brilliantly life in Paris in 1938, with the increasing fear and violence as well as the differing attitudes of the French people towards the imminent invasion of France.

To begin with, the hero of the novel, Fredric Stahl, appears to be less committed towards the struggle against the Nazis and one's sympathies towards him are therefore less engaged. However, as his determination not to be used as a Nazi puppet grows, so does our affection and we are desperate for his survival.

Alan's understated description of the horrors awaiting the European Jews as they struggle for survival with their attempts to escape from Germany, only to find that they are still not safe in their new country, brings alive the feelings of terror and desperation as every avenue to freedom is blocked.

Renate Steiner's character is particularly attractive - not a beauty in the physical sense, but full of determination and courage with the underlying feelings of fear of the refugee, always looking over her shoulder and not sure whom to trust. Fredric Stahl did well to choose her over the shallow and self-serving Kiki de Saint Ange.

Roll on the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb spy thriller, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Hardcover)
I came to Alan Furst after Spies of the Balkans and have been busily reading his older books ever since. When I heard he had a new novel out I thought I should probably wait until it came out in paperback and finish reading his older books instead but yesterday I just couldn't resist and I bought the hardback of Mission to Paris. And I'm so glad I did because I feel as though I've just time travelled - the descriptions of pre-war Paris, and Hungary, are so well done, I feel as though I've actually been there. This is a gorgeous book, and even better and more accessible than his others. I'm not a history buff, and my only quibble with his other books is that I sometimes feel don't feel informed enough. But Mission to Paris takes you straight to the heart of the events in a way that is totally gripping and totally accessible. And there's a great love story too. My wife told me she'd never read a book about spies and war but then I made her read a few pages and now she is hooked - perhaps because of the dishy film star hero! Maybe tonight I'll be the one telling her to put the light off and go to sleep! I can't recommend this book enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mission to Paris, 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Hardcover)
Since I picked up 'The Polish Officer' in a Book Shop many years ago I have been addicted to Alan Furst. I eagerly await his next publication and always order it so that I have it as soon as it is out. He has never disappointed me and I find that I have to re-read each novel twice after a first reading and I subsequently return to the novels later.
Furst does not produce mass-market 'pot boilers' or action thrillers. He writes beautiful sparing prose with never a word wasted. His characters are always well drawn, his work packed with complex plotting and subtle action and his central characters are usually honourable people tip-toeing their way through a murky and threatening world of intrigue and subtle espionage.
Is flattery and comparison a good thing? It seems that many comparisons of other novelists writing in this genre are made to Alan Furst. I like David Downing's 'Station Series' but as good as they are they are not in the same league as Furst. In my opinion no contemporary writer is. To draw a comparison to Furst you have to look back to the great writers of espionage fiction in an earlier age - to Eric Ambler and Graham Greene. There is much talk about 'Greeneland' and the brilliant world which Greene created in his works. Surely now after 'Mission to Paris' we should acknowledge the existence of 'Furstland', a world where honourable people are drawn into resisting the march of a dishonorable world? He has created this world very cleverly over a series of wonderful novels. Any of those novels can be read on ther own but taken together the novels evoke a stunning backcloth of the period. In 'Mission to Paris' I found myself in awe of the gentle pointers I was being given to his earlier works and characters. The film producer Casson who appeared in 'The World at Night'and the wonderful Hungarian Diplomat Polanyi.
I can't recommend Furst highly enough. All those I have introduced to his work have adored it as much as I do. He is by far my favourite contemporary writer and I am already eager to read his next novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Furst's best, 9 July 2012
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Hardcover)
The story is set in Paris in late 1938. Hitler has appropriated Czechoslovakia and there are fears that he will invade Poland. The French are split between those who feel that he must be stopped and those who want to appease him if it will avoid France being drawn into another war for which it is ill prepared. An Austrian born, American movie star by the name of Fredric Stahl, comes to Paris to shoot a film. Initially he is happy to be in Paris, a city that he lived in many years previously and genuinely loved. Gradually however he becomes aware of the undercurrents of menace in the city. The German Government are keen to take advantage of his Austrian roots for their propaganda purposes and initially the (somewhat naive) Stahl inadvertently plays into their hands. Then he realises that this gives him the opportunity to assist his own Government in collecting information about the Nazis, although he doesn't fully appreciate the danger in which that will place him.

This was very much a book of two halves for me. The first half of the book dragged, to the point where I kept falling asleep when trying to read it at the end of the day. One of Furst's strengths as a writer is the way that he creates an entire world for you, but there is so much irrelevant detail about the movie itself and so many characters get introduced only to disappear again. In the second half of the book, when Stahl starts to get involved in spying for the Americans, the book gets far more involving and genuinely tense. By the end I was loving it - but it took me over 100 pages to get into it.

Furst includes references to events in previous books and a few familiar characters make walk on appearances. This will not affect you if you are not familiar with his previous books, but is a pleasing addition if you are.

Overall I liked the book, but the fact that it took so long to get going was a problem for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars old hat, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Kindle Edition)
Alaln Furst it milking what was at first a superb evocation of the genre. His story lines are now old hat and this novel is a pale reflection of his previous books. Very disappointing

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok but he's not a Faulks or a Kerr, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Paperback)
Having had the works of Furst bigged up to me by various friends who thought that because I have enjoyed the works of Phillip Kerr and David Downing I would enjoy this I settled down to this novel with some anticipation. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed "Spies of the Balkans" and thought it engaging, well plotted and well written. Imagine my disappointment when completing this book, which, in the edition I read it in (TV Book Club) read as though it were written as a primer for people who don't really like reading and need encouraging. Either that or it was written to be read on public transport by the part time engaged either on their phones, kindle or igadget.

Mission to Paris is competently written, in a workman like way and it is similarly plotted (but reads as though it were designed for film or TV) and consequently it has little depth, little engagement. As a reader I did not sympathise with the characters who were presented in a sequence as a series of two dimensional character pastiches drawn from a welter of influences mostly from US cinema. The ambiance ois entirely derivative from other works which try to capture Paris in the summer of 1938 (JPS trilogy springs to mind)or at least some of it. The book is light on substance and history and plot events are not intricately woven and thus, in comparison to any of Kerr's books this book feels and is superficial. In essence a poor historical spy novel for thicko's who know nothing of history, probably written by someone with a poor grasp of history who thought it wise to patronise his reading public by assuming they do not know who the British Prime minister at the time of Munich was and so must explain it in the text (rather than as an after note, or a note of the historical context at the beginning, which would have been better). The amount of time spent exposing the fact that National Socialist Govt of Germany was "bad" and why is incredible, and while quick to point the accusatory finger at those in France who thought Democracy had failed is very one sided in its portrayal of the US and its relations with Nazi Germany (US companies did very well from Nazi Germany and anti-sematism was alive and healthy in America prior to WW2). Comparison with John Le Carre are wasted, Furst and Le Carre don't compare. I veryt much enjoyed Spies of the Balkans, this book, just annoyed me it was full of stereo types which I have seen in numerous 1940s and 1950s war films which were better plotted and scripted. Rather than buy this book rent "Pimpernell Smith" or Casablanca from Love Film and have a better time.

5.0 out of 5 stars like welcoming back an old friend, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Hardcover)
A new book from Alan Furst is an annual treat to look forward to and savour. In the frantic and frenetic world of today it is wonderful to escape for a few short hours and immerse yourself in the world of Alan Furst.

This is a world of spies and counter terrorism , of people facing seemingly insuperable odds doing their best, of a Europe preparing for and coping with the terrors of the Second World War.

If you are just looking for a fast paced plot and derring do then Furst is not for you but if you are looking for a slow burn, wonderful descriptions of place, mood and atmosphere and fully formed and developed characters all described with glowing prose then look no further.

I have read all of his books and Missiom to Paris is as good and enticing a read as the books that preceded it.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mission to Paris - not a great read, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Paperback)
I've read a few Alan Furst novels, my favourite being The Polish Officer, so came to this new novel with anticipation of a good, juicy read. From the beginning (and my eyesight is not to blame here), I found the small font size very annoying. Far too small and nothing like the usual font used in Furst's novels. It took at least 100 pages to get into and I set the novel aside for a time as it just wasn't working for me. Fredric Stahl is a decent man who gets involved in Nazi intrigue but compared to other Furst novels, this one dragged, although pre-war Paris and Hungary are beautifully described and Furst clearly has a love of the French capital. You can smell the Gauloises in cafes and railway stations.

I agree with the reviewer who said the Brasserie Heininger story has been told before (see Philip Kerr's Field Grey for his description) so it's become a bit predictable by now. Furst's women are a mixed bunch and they seem to be either femme fatale types (Kiki) or "plain" women like Orlova or even Renate, nothing in between, and I wonder if Furst actually likes women that much!

The ending was unsatisfactory, as if the author was in a hurry to complete the novel so I'm afraid this one will be consigned to my local charity shop. 3 stars at a push.

2.0 out of 5 stars don't start with this one, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Paperback)
I cannot understand the almost universal acclaim this book received. I have been an admirer of Alan Furst for several years but I found this one banal. It was lazily written and the authenticity was so obviously slipped in via the Internet. If you want a good Furst book try KINGDOM OF SHADOWS or FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT.

Mission to Paris
Mission to Paris by Alan Furst (Paperback - 7 Mar 2013)