Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 November 2012
The above title is what the BBC call Danny Baker on their website, and I write this just as it is announced that danny's show on Radio London is to be axed. The BBC eh? What are they playing at? anyway, the book...

Well it's been available in bookshops since the weekend so I don't know why Amazon are delaying on it. Maybe they knew about today's news...? Nevertheless whenever it comes out I would urge anyone who has more than a passing interest in football, music, music journalism, radio, TV, humour and of course the joi de vivre that no doubt helped him in recovering from cancer to read this book. It is as filled with good humour and self depreciation as you might expect but also deals with some career and life lows as well as the many highs. The book is an easy read - it is a relatively compact volume considering the anecdotes packed in here, there must be a follow up as well - but that is no bad thing as there is absolutely no padding to be seen. The book is a genuine joy and will be the only "Celebrity" biography I buy this season, which I suppose is the highest recommendation I can give.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2012
Warm, funny, shocking, honest. It's like the red button version of the radio show. To the dolts who sacked him from BBC London, read it and weep. Dan, it turns out we never knew you...but we know you better now. Here's hoping that the freeing up of some time means we get Part II (and III) as soon as you like.
Understand there's also to be an audio version.. Attack! Attack! Attack! Can't wait.
Best autobiography since Tom Baker's, 'Who on Earth'... actually (whisper it) this is better.
on 28 November 2012
This book is great fun, full of juicy anecdotes and hilarious stories. It isn't, nor does it profess to be, soul baring or confessional, nor does it need to be. Danny Baker is a gifted writer with an easy sense of pace and rhythm, and a confident ability to wander off down little tangents without damaging the flow. And he has led a life plenty interesting enough to spare us intimate revelations.

I believe he is also quite prolific. I certainly hope so because this is an annoying book. It ends too soon, there is much more juicy stuff just waiting in the wings. I don't suppose there was any point he could have paused the story without leaving us wanting more.

So come on, Danny. Hurry up. We know you're a quick writer, it feels like there's another couple of books worth to come, maybe more. Don't hang about. I want you to tell all the stories I already know, and the ones I don't too.
on 6 November 2012
Enjoyed this greatly. If you know a Danny Baker fan then this is a great book for Christmas.

If Dannys presentation style annoys you on radio (I understand that for some folks he's a bit of a turnoff) DON'T buy this book, Dannys writing style will probably annnoy as well.

Praise: Like his radio show, full of great stories and a generally "happy" read (Not much misery here) and I can't wait for volume 2.

Complaints: Oddly light on football (seems to be mentioned more in passing) and sometimes a bit more about some of the celebs he's met would have been nice (Peter Cook for one) but then Dannys never been a great one for doing "kiss and tell" stories which could hurt other folks.
on 14 November 2012
Huge fan of DB since the early 90s, and a religious listener to his 94.9 show until its criminal cancellation. This book is a brisk read, featuring many tales told on the radio, often laugh-out-loud funny, and Baker paints a fabulous, clearly loving image of his dad, Spud. There's poignancy here too - his description of visiting his family home after the door-opening dog Blackie has died is something every dog-owner can identify with.

One gripe - I got through it too fast and don't want to have to wait another year for the next instalment!
on 17 November 2012
Read this book in 2 days absolutely outstanding book and even though I come from Bermondsey I can tell you all that we are very proud of the Candy man and we are already gagging for the next two instalments of the trilogy. Well done Danny and to BBC radio London 'you have lost the plot'
on 5 November 2012
As someone who used to listen to The Candyman six times a week (from Phoenix, Arizona) I've been waiting for this book for the past two years when he announced he had started writing it. I had high expectations and it surpassed them. Shouldn't be surprised really when you hear his anecdotes on the air and IMDB him and see what quality he's written in the past.

I loved every page and didn't want it to end. Just brilliant.
on 21 November 2012
I must admit to being a huge Danny Baker fan , so i was keen to get his autobiography when i came out , now i used to listen to him everyday when he was on BBC London , he used to share some of these stories , but in this book he goes into much more detail , of course he shares many more stories too, this book is very well written and is very funny definitely one of the funniest books ive read all year , id throughly recommend it especially if you like Mr Bakers work
on 7 November 2012
I've listened to Danny (aka The Candyman) on Radio London and its Predecessors for many years. What some people may not know is that the words spoken by the likes of J.Ross at the awards are also Danny's. He'a a great writer and tells an interesting and amusing tale. I enjoyed the book - what more can I say? - apart from buy it yourself!
on 7 November 2012
A brilliant, funny memoir including some of the people Danny Baker had met when he started his first job in a record shop in London and then as a writer on Sniffin' Glue and NME including legends such as Elton John and Marc Bolan, Queen, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Mick Jagger, Peter Cook and Ian Dury and his minder Fred Rowe, spending time with the latter on a tour of Europe, which is a highlight for me as a huge Dury fan. The writing is like his radio persona; erudite, witty, intelligent and absolutely engaging.

The real winner amongst all the brilliant stories and anecdotes is Danny's frankness, honesty and willingness to point out some of his less than enobling cons, gaffes, tricks and humiliating experiences, which compliment the amazing experiences and people he met. The book ends somewhere around the early 80's (squeezed into somewhere around 250 pages) and there's so much incredible fun packed in there god knows how many more pages he'll need for the subsequent 30 years of his career.

It is a brilliant read (I finished it in a day and a half... and that's just when I wasn't working!) and in it he entices us with the promise of volume two.

If you love DB this is essential. If you love entertaining autobiographies, it's still essential. And worth it alone for the recurring tale of David Essex's brother and his fantastic, straight-talking dad (his hero, I think).