5.0 out of 5 stars There'll Never Be Another
Warm, funny, shocking, honest. It's like the red button version of the radio show. To the dolts who sacked him from BBC London, read it and weep. Dan, it turns out we never knew you...but we know you better now. Here's hoping that the freeing up of some time means we get Part II (and III) as soon as you like.
Understand there's also to be an audio version.. Attack...
Published 17 months ago by P. Bryer

3.0 out of 5 stars Filled some time
I'm late to the DB party as I know of him only from his 5Live Saturday program and as a drinking mate of Chris Evans. I thought I'd read this book to learn more of him and his life as a writer and member of the Evans cabal.

My mistake; nowhere in the product details or PR for this book was it mentioned that this would cover only the early part of DB's career...
Published 10 months ago by Mark Dyer

‹ Previous | 124 25 26 27 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be called a game of two halves, 10 Jan 2013
I rate this 5 stars for the enjoyable content and no stars for the fact that it really wasn't clear that this was only half his life - really unimpressed - the PR for it is misleading and it ought to be clearer.

5.0 out of 5 stars candymans ie danny baker book, 6 Nov 2012
the book came on time and i recomend this book for everyone as hes the best dj ever and theres more to come out and worth read

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, 8 July 2013
J. Lee "jambo" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography (Paperback)
It's kind of hard not to feel a little miffed about this autobiography.
I've always liked Baker and whilst I'm a bit younger than him I love my local team and love my music.
There's a good few anecdotes from his early years that'll have you chuckling away and the book is a pleasant and easy read.
But I couldn't help but be frustrated by how easy everything was for him. He makes no apologies for this, which is refreshing, but given the current climate, and how difficult it is to forge a career these days, it sticks in the throat a little that everything just landed in his lap. He just falls into the music business and then accidentally ends up on TV without even trying.
Maybe I'm just jealous...

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting In Parts, 8 Sep 2013
Thanatos (Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I found this book moderately interesting, some parts he could have went to in less detail, some he could have expanded on more.

The book only takes you up until the mid eighties so I imagine a follow up is on the cards.

All in all I guess it was enjoyable but I expected a little more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book / but........, 1 Jan 2013
Mr. Ba Mahoney (uk) - See all my reviews
Going to Sea in a Sieve: The AutobiographyGotta say that it really is a decent read. Honesty is the backbone and
if that floats yer boat, get in there. Downside??... too many " Me's and I's " Love Danny Baker but never kind of had him up for a self indulgence guy. However, that's me being me. Listened so much to DB over the years and I place him ( usually ) above the self promotion bit.
But I suppose if you buy an Auto-biog, it can get like that, whoever pens it / Funny book though and of course, you would always want to spend a glass or two time with the guy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a bargain!, 29 Dec 2012
I bought this book and a DVD which arrived together three days after I'd placed the order. In impeccible condition, I was absolutely thrilled with this purchase.

Faultless for price, service and product condition, I shall definitely use this seller again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter, 29 Dec 2012
Bought this book for my daughter who is never with out a book in her hand hope she likes it

2.0 out of 5 stars Used to like this guy 'til I read this, 5 July 2013
I was looking forward to reading this as I have always though of him as a guy that did well despite a less than wealthy background.
Ok, so I realise that you are supposed to reveal all in your autobiography and I am sure cocky-chappy Danny has left some of the even worse details out. I also realise that celebrities all have feet of clay....But....
What he has included leaves you with no doubt that he has few morals or scruples and is proud of the fact.
He emerges as a chancer and an opportunist that has led a charmed, lucky life where others would have rightly ended up in jail.
In this scrappy, often fragmented life story we learn of a self confessed regular 'boozer' who still gets out of his head at least once a week.
A proud-to-be-common-low-life-Londoner, who tells of stealing from every employer and helping his criminal father in various jolly criminal acts. I can now imagine him dancing around singing..."#Ho Ho ya gotta pick-a-pocket-or-two...#"
'Successful' he may be, but a role model for anyone he most certainly is NOT.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Expected a lot more from Danny Baker. Many of the anecdotes are predictable and he never really gets underneath the famous people he meets. Do I really need to read about how Ringo Starr was a drunken ass, or how Nick Kent was a junkie? Heard it all before.

2.0 out of 5 stars Going to sea in a sieve, 6 May 2013
It was an ok read. He could have used half the paper if he hadn't gone off down little roads that led to nowhere . Personally I would have preferred more gossip about the band's he was with and was looking forward to the stories of his drinking sessions with Evans and Gascoigne, sadly this is later in his life and must be in his next book. Will I buy it, probably and would enjoy it more if he doesn't go off rambling into another world

‹ Previous | 124 25 26 27 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xba8d799c)

Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography
Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography by Danny Baker (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
3.85