5.0 out of 5 stars There'll Never Be Another
Warm, funny, shocking, honest. It's like the red button version of the radio show. To the dolts who sacked him from BBC London, read it and weep. Dan, it turns out we never knew you...but we know you better now. Here's hoping that the freeing up of some time means we get Part II (and III) as soon as you like.
Understand there's also to be an audio version.. Attack...
Published 20 months ago by P. Bryer

3.0 out of 5 stars Filled some time
I'm late to the DB party as I know of him only from his 5Live Saturday program and as a drinking mate of Chris Evans. I thought I'd read this book to learn more of him and his life as a writer and member of the Evans cabal.

My mistake; nowhere in the product details or PR for this book was it mentioned that this would cover only the early part of DB's career...
Published 13 months ago by Mark Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars There'll Never Be Another, 10 Nov 2012
P. Bryer (London) - See all my reviews
Understand there's also to be an audio version.. Attack! Attack! Attack! Can't wait.
Best autobiography since Tom Baker's, 'Who on Earth'... actually (whisper it) this is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The radio genius, 1 Nov 2012
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The above title is what the BBC call Danny Baker on their website, and I write this just as it is announced that danny's show on Radio London is to be axed. The BBC eh? What are they playing at? anyway, the book...

Well it's been available in bookshops since the weekend so I don't know why Amazon are delaying on it. Maybe they knew about today's news...? Nevertheless whenever it comes out I would urge anyone who has more than a passing interest in football, music, music journalism, radio, TV, humour and of course the joi de vivre that no doubt helped him in recovering from cancer to read this book. It is as filled with good humour and self depreciation as you might expect but also deals with some career and life lows as well as the many highs. The book is an easy read - it is a relatively compact volume considering the anecdotes packed in here, there must be a follow up as well - but that is no bad thing as there is absolutely no padding to be seen. The book is a genuine joy and will be the only "Celebrity" biography I buy this season, which I suppose is the highest recommendation I can give.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpasses expectations, 14 Nov 2012
D. O'Hagan "danohagan" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Huge fan of DB since the early 90s, and a religious listener to his 94.9 show until its criminal cancellation. This book is a brisk read, featuring many tales told on the radio, often laugh-out-loud funny, and Baker paints a fabulous, clearly loving image of his dad, Spud. There's poignancy here too - his description of visiting his family home after the door-opening dog Blackie has died is something every dog-owner can identify with.

One gripe - I got through it too fast and don't want to have to wait another year for the next instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun Read, 22 Nov 2012
I would heartily advise anyone considering this book to get busy and buy it, I only got to page 26 before I was laughing my head off, the greatest voice on radio has written a cracker and I look forward to further volumes, it has charm , wit and none of the usual up their own ar!!ness of most of the current celeb tomes trundled out for Xmas, Well done Candyman, get back on the radio again soon, the BBC want shooting!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bermondsey legend, fantastic read, 17 Nov 2012
Read this book in 2 days absolutely outstanding book and even though I come from Bermondsey I can tell you all that we are very proud of the Candy man and we are already gagging for the next two instalments of the trilogy. Well done Danny and to BBC radio London 'you have lost the plot'

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Boy - pure entertainment, 7 Nov 2012
M. E. Doherty "imp131168" (EVERYWHERE) - See all my reviews
A brilliant, funny memoir including some of the people Danny Baker had met when he started his first job in a record shop in London and then as a writer on Sniffin' Glue and NME including legends such as Elton John and Marc Bolan, Queen, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Mick Jagger, Peter Cook and Ian Dury and his minder Fred Rowe, spending time with the latter on a tour of Europe, which is a highlight for me as a huge Dury fan. The writing is like his radio persona; erudite, witty, intelligent and absolutely engaging.

The real winner amongst all the brilliant stories and anecdotes is Danny's frankness, honesty and willingness to point out some of his less than enobling cons, gaffes, tricks and humiliating experiences, which compliment the amazing experiences and people he met. The book ends somewhere around the early 80's (squeezed into somewhere around 250 pages) and there's so much incredible fun packed in there god knows how many more pages he'll need for the subsequent 30 years of his career.

It is a brilliant read (I finished it in a day and a half... and that's just when I wasn't working!) and in it he entices us with the promise of volume two.

If you love DB this is essential. If you love entertaining autobiographies, it's still essential. And worth it alone for the recurring tale of David Essex's brother and his fantastic, straight-talking dad (his hero, I think).

5.0 out of 5 stars Save the Candyman, 7 Nov 2012
James Renals (London (not the one in CT or ON)) - See all my reviews
I've listened to Danny (aka The Candyman) on Radio London and its Predecessors for many years. What some people may not know is that the words spoken by the likes of J.Ross at the awards are also Danny's. He'a a great writer and tells an interesting and amusing tale. I enjoyed the book - what more can I say? - apart from buy it yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars High Expectations Were Surpassed, 5 Nov 2012
As someone who used to listen to The Candyman six times a week (from Phoenix, Arizona) I've been waiting for this book for the past two years when he announced he had started writing it. I had high expectations and it surpassed them. Shouldn't be surprised really when you hear his anecdotes on the air and IMDB him and see what quality he's written in the past.

I loved every page and didn't want it to end. Just brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Yin to Nick Hornby's Yan., 2 Nov 2012
One of the most inventive and original broadcasters ever, anywhere. He has been a must read, listen to, watch for me since his Sniffing Glue debut. Danny never fails to put a fresh perspective on a familier theme. If there is a man alive who has a better more entertaining grasp on pop culture I havent met him. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, but always certain. Buy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Genuine, amusing and heartfelt, 3 Nov 2012
I haven't seen much of Danny Baker since Win, Lose or Draw and his hilarious "how dare you?" clip that pops up on It'll Be Alright On The Night every Xmas. The news about BBC pinheads and weasels prompted me to download this Kindle sample.

Being from London myself, I found his recollections very true-to-life. The part about his Dad reading The Pied Piper was especially touching and other parts brought a few chuckles too. Immaculately Kindle-ised too. Added to my wish list. 5*

Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography
Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography by Danny Baker (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
6.95