4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read
It's interesting that so many people seem to be disappointed with this book. Personally, I enjoyed it for its language and the psychology driving the characters. The "Event" that links all the characters together didn't seem to me to be the main point, rather it was the effect on the group of friends. However, I don't think it was terrifying, as Stephen King states but...
Published on 15 April 2011 by D. R. Cripps

1.0 out of 5 stars Very slow and boring
'Terrifying... Impossible to put down' said Stephen King on the front cover. Well, it wasn't and I did lots of times! The protagonist wasn't a likable character and was one dimensional as well as all the other characters and the final retelling, from the main character's wife, of the events that happened all those years ago was neither terrifying or intersting. I don't...
Published on 24 July 2011 by Phil64

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not scary, 31 May 2014
Emmabemma (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dark Matter (Paperback)
My friend told me that this book would scare me. It didn't and the language is very populist. I read another. The same. I guess I am just not a Peter Straub fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars a dark matter......., 10 April 2011
This review is from: A Dark Matter (Kindle Edition)
I looked forward to reading this, what a disappointment.

Certainly not one of his best, by a long stretch.

Dragged on and on and on............yawn!

3.0 out of 5 stars Grey Matter, 3 Aug. 2010
Parts of "A Dark Matter" are very interesting but:
I didn't feel any affiliation to the main character at all. He's basically boring and self-satisfied.
The ending of the book is banal really. Maybe the indescribable is just that but personally, I would have tried.
I really felt sorry for the character at the end who was apparently not good enough to be company for the main character and his esteemed wife. These were the issues I had with the writing (and I have to say that Straub is usually a wonderful writer whose stories grip me from beginning to end).
The other main issue I had with this publication is the editing or lack of it: sentences with words in the wrong order; sentences with words missing; sentences with he, she and it used to talk about the same person. Honestly, I'm sure Straub's publishing house can do better but to me this looked like it went straight from his pc to the print room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: A Dark Matter (Paperback)
Peter Straub is a great author, I loved this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the Worst Books I've Ever Read, 12 Jan. 2013
Mr. S. Fell (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dark Matter (Paperback)
I got hold of this book after reading a review that placed it amongst the best horrors of 2012. In fact there were a number of official reviews, using words such as "compelling", "chilling" and "masterful".

SPOILER ALERT: It's utter rubbish.

There wasn't a single even remotely shocking or scary moment in the whole novel. In fact, the only shocking thing about it was how bad it was.

I kept waiting for it to improve and something interesting to happen. It didn't. I got to a point where I googled "A Dark Matter" summary so that I could be spared reading the rest. No-one had bothered (I'm not surprised) so I ploughed on.

Basically, some boring paranormal stuff happens in a field in the 1960s. A group of kids experience it, grow old, then describe what they saw. That's pretty much it. Paper thin characters that it is imposible to care about. In fact by the end I wished the narrator and his blind wife would die because I was so sick of them.

Poor, poor effort from a so called "Master of Horror".

2.0 out of 5 stars Over Extended Short Story, 21 Aug. 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Dark Matter (Hardcover)
To be honest about Straub, I tend to find that he's either hit or miss for me as an author. Whilst a lot of authors love to write and can constantly produce quality titles there is a select group that seem to fall back on grabbing short story offerings and lengthening to full novel wordage, which is sadly the case with this offering from this author. It's long, it's overly drawn out and to be honest you really need to save your pennies for something better out there as this really isn't up to much. I just hope that he produces something a little better next time and doesn't take the lazy route next time as otherwise a lot of readers will soon vote with their pockets.

1.0 out of 5 stars OH DEAR, 1 Dec. 2010
MARGARET (Sale, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dark Matter (Hardcover)
Sadly, this novel did not live up to my expectations at all. I like to be grabbed within the first few pages of a novel or by the end of the first chapter. I read the whole novel and did not get grabbed at all. I saw no real plot but a lot of padding. There are many instances of describing scenes/characters which were not needed at all - sign of a weak or non-existent plot. Being an incurable optimist I plouged on througn the novel but my optimism was sadly misjudged. I found this novel boring at best and for the main part - silly. To sum it up several people were present at a 'happening'with each desribing their individual perception of this - thats it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Dark Matter
A Dark Matter by Peter Straub (Paperback - 3 Feb. 2011)