4.0 out of 5 stars A good memoir
Although this is perhaps a little disappointing as a record of her career, mainly because she is too polite to be truly candid, it is certainly a revealing and moving account of her private life. Having not read any other books on her, I found all the stories fresh and entertaining, and this serves as a very good introduction to a superb actress's life.
Published on 29 Nov 2010 by V E Tully

2.0 out of 5 stars No furthermore
I love autobiographies and celebrity ones are the best but this one was extremely boring. It consisted of a list of plays that she has been in and a list of fellow actors producers and directors. It could have been written by anyone.There were hardly any references to her private life and, although we dont want a "warts and all" story, a little personal information would...
Published on 10 May 2011 by cashier carol

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings from a fan..., 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
I think this works best for someone with a slight or mild interest in Judi, really. She skips over so much and so I feel that hardcore fans like myself are short changed. I did find out some new things that I didn't know from Scenes From My Life and With a Crack in Her Voice by John Miller (the best of the three, which she and her family helped with), especially from the past few years but not a great deal. As a book about her life and work it's a bit of a let down. Yes, you can feel her voice coming out strongly, which as she says in the preface is one reason why she chose to do this, and a lovely one it is too - reassuring, funny, affectionate and occasionally mischevious. But I don't feel it justifies another book and as for the gaps she says in the preface that were in John Miller's book, well, there aren't that many and I feel Judi is being somewhat disingenous when she says that this is another reason for agreeing to do this book. It's certainly a very readable book but I can't help feeling it's a little redundant.

2.0 out of 5 stars How disappointing!, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
This book was a great disappointment. I love Judi Dench as an actress, but it reads like nothing more than an inventory of her prodigious output over the years. I am sure she is an intelligent, interesting, loving, loyal and above all fun person, but all this we can only glean by reading between the lines, since she admits to being reluctant to let people into her personal life, which is invariably reduced to almost single sentences, such as 'I married Michael', 'Finty was born', or 'Our house burned down'. I can't help suspecting that, with such an incredibly ambitious workload, there was never much time for a 'personal life' - marriage, motherhood - anyway! But whatever the reason, I wholeheartedly concur with the reviewer who asks, 'Why, then, write an autobiography?' She can't possibly need the money!

3.0 out of 5 stars Judy D And furthermore, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
A gentle read which reflects well the on screen or across footlights personality of Judi Dench.. A rather flat presentation, but a comfortable pick up, put down and pick up again, read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Michele (Woodchester, UK), 16 Oct 2011
M. G. Le Mero (Stroud Glos) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Furthermore (Kindle Edition)
Dame Judi comes across as a delightful lady who is clearly a very talented actor.....but not a writer. However she has inspired me to write my autobiography now as my little life feels hugely more interesting and varied than hers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: And Furthermore (Paperback)
A lovely book. I adore Judi Dench. Along side of "Scenes from my Life"- perfect combination.Any thing she does is fine by me.

1.0 out of 5 stars ZZZZ - Great career, boring book, 9 Jun 2014
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: And Furthermore (Paperback)
I'm so glad that I didn't part with any money for this book because I fear that I would have been royally short changed. I admit that I only read the first few chapters then gave up because it was so darn boring - a series of lists of places, times and anecdotes which have been transcribed by another writer. What's the point? Surely she could have collaborated with a named or unnamed ghost writer and given it more personal input that way? Seems a bit pointless really - one for die hard fans only.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 27 May 2014
This review is from: And Furthermore (Kindle Edition)
Well done Judi, very interesting all the films and plays you have been in.I recommend this book for a holiday read

2.0 out of 5 stars And Furthermore, 21 April 2014
This review is from: And Furthermore (Kindle Edition)
It was boring in places because appeared to be saying the same things. Nothing mmore to add to my commment

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of depth to it but a fairly good read, 21 April 2014
This review is from: And Furthermore (Paperback)
Read this for my book group and was looking forward to it as I love her as an actress, but I found some parts of the book very interesting and others rather boring if I may say so. It covered the period 1930s - 2010 and read like a chronology of parts in plays, and also assumed (I thought) prior knowledge by the reader which not everyone would have and focused just on her career, nothing about her as an individual. It also skated over important elements of her life such as the death of Michael and the birth of her daughter and grandson. Not a great deal of insight but a list of the plays, TV shows and films she had worked on and those she had worked with; not much about how she felt about things. I loved the reference to the "stunt cat" in one of the films though. Who would have thought a cat actor would have a stunt double!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dame Judy Dench, 11 April 2014
This review is from: And Furthermore (Paperback)
I liked Her very much before reading the book, now I do understand why She is such a great Lady.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

And Furthermore
And Furthermore by Dame Judi Dench (Paperback - 23 Jun 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01