Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2011
My husband died last year following surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy for a brain tumour; from diagnosis to death was only 9 short months. I thought I was very alone and that no one else could possibly understand but Barbara's honest and forthright description of her husbands journey and the emotional, psychological and physical aftermath for her and her children was so comforting, that at last I realised that I was not going mad and there is no 'Normal' to grieving. Barbara, I can't thank you enough, I found your book after reading an artical in a women's magazine that advised what not to say to a bereaved person. My first copy I devoured and passed to a friend who works for Marie Curie, the second two I shall give to other professional colleagues as I believe it will inform them on a personal and professional basis. Also, like Barbara I want to say "thank goodness" for Cruse.
on 5 April 2010
An incredibly honest and moving account of the loss of her husband and the difficulties of coping with being a young widow. She is brave enough to put into words what many people feel in a situation like this - so reassuring to those of us who have struggled to cope with the emotions associated with widowhood. If you have been in this position yourself, or have a friend who has, read it!
on 11 October 2015
This is a painfully honest account by the widow of the much-missed and loved broadcaster and journalist Nick Clarke of their lives before and during his terminal cancer. She also writes in vivid detail about life for her and her sons after he died. This is not an easy read for his friends and admirers, but a penetrating and seemingly intimate insight into the lives of the Clarke family.
In my opinion it could do with some editing- there is repetition- but this is a most unusual and honest account of a tragedy that affected all those that knew him in some way.
on 15 March 2012
Barbara Want writes with a brutal honesty about a subject matter that many shy away from. Raw with emotion, powerful and deep, Barbara's vivid descriptions and clarity of words conveys a world that if you have been there, you can totally relate to.
This a MUST read for anyone who needs to know that they are not alone.
on 30 November 2011
An incredible book. The definitive memoir of a tragic loss from cancer and the day-to-day hell of bereavement. Despite the subject matter this book is, strangely, not at all depressing. Intensely moving, it makes one think very hard about life, our loved ones, and the simple human fact that we could lose everything in a flash. I think what draws the reader in is Want's voice which is brutal in its honesty, is lucid and devoid of indulgent self pity. The prose is clear and the book is perfectly judged in length and pacing. Nick Clarke was a loved and respected radio broadcaster who was struck down by an appalling and aggressive form of cancer. He endured weeks in hospital, mutilating surgery, toxic chemotherapy and the loss of his lovely speaking voice. Despite this, the love between him and his wife somehow survives and deepens. You must read this book. It is unforgettable and beautiful.
on 11 September 2010
This is an honest insight into the world of the bereaved.
Barbara Want epitomises the feelings of many who find themselves in the same position - certainly so in my case.
My lovely husband died two years ago and I have said many times (though it sounds unkind to well-meaning folk) that I could fill an A4 pad with things NOT to say to me under the circumstances. Had I the literary skills of the author I could have written the book myself!!
However, it has been a great help to me and to a very close friend to whom I have loaned it - and I would like to thank Barbara Want and highly recommend her book.
on 18 July 2010
This book is beautfully written and profoundly moving. Barbara Want writes with a frankness and openness rarely seen about some of the more 'disturbing' emotions she experienced during her husband's illness and following his death. Ultimately this book is about the love between Nick Clarke and Barbara. If you're looking for a happy ending then this certainly isn't for you, but if you want an honest account of living alongside the man you love whilst he becomes more and more ill, and the aftermath of his death on you and your small children, then I highly recommend it.
on 16 November 2014
Couldn't put this book down.A must read for anyone who has been bereaved.Brutally honest in all her feelings,I for one understood her anger,fear,hopelessness.So sad,life can be so tough but we HAVE to get through it.I hope the writer finds peace and acceptance .
on 9 May 2013
This book became my comfort after experiencing a similar scenario myself, it helped to know that others feel the way you do and that you are.normal
on 25 March 2010
Thank you Barbara for giving an account of how grief can really be. You will have helped all those who thought they were alone in how they were feeling. It is also well-written. not sentimental but also heart-breaking. Good luck BarbaraWhy Not Me?: A Story of Love and Loss: A Memoir