4,174 Reviews
 (1,555)
 (1,169)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller...
Published 11 months ago by K Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype
I found Gone Girl an OK read on the plus side I liked the overall premise of a story being told from two perspectives and I didn't work out the whole plot immediately so it held some intrigue. But I found the style of writing to be a bit too glossy magazine for my taste and the characters rather 2 dimensional. Not only did I find them unbelievable but I found myself not...
Published 17 months ago by K. Brooks

‹ Previous | 1367 368 369418 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Ying and yang, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Loved the book and the twists but hated the end. The first half was intriguing but the story changes and I was expecting a more dramatic end. Shame really

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed and in mourning for those hours of my life!, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Predictable! Too much overidentification with modern tv crime drama and their over used methods. The characters are dull, if I didn't have the reassurance of the percentage left to read offered by my kindle I'm not sure I could have gone on!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I was attracted to Gone Girl as it was the new "go to" book. It’s OK, just not as "brilliant" as others have said, so I was a little disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not live up to expectations, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This book was just ok, rather than great. In particular the first half was tedious in parts with the characters not entirely believable. However I was eventually hooked and read the second half more quickly in order to find out "whodunit".

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmm Not sure......., 10 Aug 2013
Red (Renfrewshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This book had so much potential,but it got to the point where I really didn't care anymore.They were both as bad as each other!

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, but plot then got silly, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This book is easy to read, no doubt. It flows well, and at first you can identify with the characters and their struggle to re-build a life after losing their jobs and moving out of New York. But the plot, which is interesting at first, then becomes so fantastical it is almost insulting to the reader's intelligence. And in the process, you lose all sympathy for the main characters. By the end, you will be so "done" with this book, it will be a relief
to put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Urgh, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I was unfortunately born with an inherent need to finish books. Sadly, I had to read this one all the way through. The first half of the book is recycled nonsense, chapter after chapter. Then it picks up a bit, only to deliver you to the most anti-climatic ending ever. Slow and boring. I admit that if you think long enough about the concept afterwards, you can almost feel the fear, but I sometimes get that if I dwell on the fact I haven't flossed, too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Infuriatingly bad, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Hardcover)
I have tried this book twice. The first time, I read up to around a third of the way in. I was put off by a painfully slow narrative and felt it was very over-written.

A friend of mine lent me the audiobook so I thought I'd give it a second chance. Got to around the same point and became bored, however I persevered. I can say this book is truly bad. The writing had me constantly screaming, "get to the point!" Not only is this book badly written but the characters go from unlikable to downright enraging. I fail to see how this is supposed to be a thriller. Possibly one of the most poorly executed books I have ever read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
At first I found the read interesting and I was keen to learn more about the characters and their dynamic, but this didn't continue. The only thing that kept me reading was to learn how it all ended, so in that sense it wasn't awful. I just couldn't help but feel cheated by the end and extremely dissatisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Hardcover)
Complete waste of time, awful characters, awful writing and the ending made me think I must have been missing a few pages as it just abruptly finished. Was excited about reading it as heard good things but wish I hadn't bothered. I normally get really into books and the characters stories but didn't get attached to any of the characters. Can't believe the hype around this book. Very disappointed!

‹ Previous | 1367 368 369418 | Next ›

Gone Girl
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Paperback - 3 Jan 2013)
3.50