5,195 Reviews
 (2,022)
 (1,419)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

Published 14 months ago by K Richards

1.0 out of 5 stars DARK, EXCRUCIATINGLY LONG, A EULOGY TO HATRED
No credit to me for actually making myself finish this seemingly endless book. I listened to it as an audio book, I have no quarrel with the narrators who had the tone just right. I made myself finish it because it was such a best seller and was on holiday so had the time. But........

As many people have said the first half of the book drags on and on as you...
Published 12 months ago by Canbel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.

The book is always straightforward and readable, but maybe there are a few digressions too many. I can't help but feeling that nowadays thriller writers feel the need to expand their books to 600 pages when 400 would have done just as well. That's stupid, because it automatically weakens the suspense.

Gillian Flynn really deconstructed love and marriage here a lot, so I have a suggestion for readers who would like to read a (shorter) crime novel which is thrilling, full of dark humor and lets you believe in love again: Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves that lingers in the mind, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into crime novels/mysteries, which this book generally seems to be billed as, so despite having heard a lot of hype, I wouldn't have bothered reading it were it not for one thing - a list of quotations from the book I found on Goodreads.

There were a couple of quotes , for example one about the dangers of being a cool girl and one about meeting someone who gets you, that really resonated with me and left me unable to resist giving the book a go. Added to this, several reviews mentioned that there was a big twist that they genuinely hadn't seen coming, and I can never resist a good, well-handled twist.

The first thing I'd say is that I'm glad I took a chance on the book. It was difficult to put down; I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next, and I think parts of it will stick in my mind for a long time. So in short, I'd definitely recommend.

It's hopefully not too spoiler-ish to say that the first half of the book is basically mediations on a relationship combined with a mystery: a woman has disappeared - where has she gone? The second half then becomes much more like a psychological crime thriller.

In the first half, there are two voices. Chapters alternate between Nick's (the husband) narration, starting with the day of his wife's disappearance, and Amy's (the wife) diary entries, dating back from the day the two first met years before, and gradually working up to a few days before her mysterious disappearance.

Browsing through some of the reviews on here, I was struck by how many people have commented that they found the first half hard going and a bit irritating, but loved the second half.

Interestingly, I almost entirely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm in a similar socio-economic group to the protagonists and have recently got engaged, but I found the story of the wonderful blossoming of their relationship and its horrible slow decline utterly fascinating. Yes, there was undoubtedly a touch of "first world problems," about it, but falling in and out of love is a fundamental human issue and no more or less exciting and painful just because you happen to be a trust-funded New Yorker. I thought the writing in this part was exceptional. The quotations I'd identified weren't isolated bursts of brilliance, but representative of the whole thing. It genuinely gave me a new perspective on my relationship.

I'm a big fan of unconventional narratives and I thought that the past diary entries versus present narration worked really well. The two storylines didn't quite mesh, showing what a different perspective two people can have on the same event and keeping me guessing about what was really going on in the main characters' relationship and what had happened on the day of Amy's disappearance.

This went on for chapter after chapter (Whilst I burnt through the book, I definitely think it could have been quite a bit shorter without really losing anything), and then came the much vaunted twist. All I can say was that I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't seen it coming and it was incredibly well done. Unfortunately, although I thought that post mid-way twist, the book went rapidly downhill and became, in parts, frankly silly. I actually hated the ended.

Nonetheless, I'd give this book four stars, for the overall brilliant execution and for the fact that to me, parts of the first half were some of the best things I've read in years. My suggestion - search for some of the quotes. If you enjoy them, I think you'll love the book. If they irritate or don't affect you at all, it's probably not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and glorious., 23 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Gone Girl is the gripping page-turner that that everyone said it would be. Part murder-mystery, part psychological evaluation; Gone Girl will keep you entertained and glued to it's pages. It's an exciting and unnerving insight into the minds of two people who straddle the line between picture-perfect and violent sociopaths.

1.0 out of 5 stars DARK, EXCRUCIATINGLY LONG, A EULOGY TO HATRED, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)

As many people have said the first half of the book drags on and on as you are introduced to the worlds of Nick and Amy, the protagonists. They are not pleasant characters and have a cruel and merciless eye for the world and its occupants, their prose tediously over-written and self-indulgent.

The second half at least has more action. By now you realise that the one of them that seemed less warped is actually more warped and yes there is a twist. I thought/hoped it was going to end for quite a while, but it just crept on and on. I can't remember such relief at actually finishing a book. But at the same time it left me with a horrible feeling. In my opinion the contribution this novel makes to the world/humanity is somewhere below zero.

Great novels can reach into terrible corners and flag up corruption and injustice. But there's a spark of something that makes them a satisfying read, no matter if they are sad in part. Please more wonderful books like Reginald Hill's "The Woodcutter" and Kathryn Stockett's "The Help". Recommendations of a similiar character more than welcome!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype, 24 Feb 2013
K. Brooks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I found Gone Girl an OK read on the plus side I liked the overall premise of a story being told from two perspectives and I didn't work out the whole plot immediately so it held some intrigue. But I found the style of writing to be a bit too glossy magazine for my taste and the characters rather 2 dimensional. Not only did I find them unbelievable but I found myself not really caring what happened to them the further I read on. I won't say I totally disliked the book but also found it undeserving of the rave reviews, in the end my overall feeling was of indifference.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Well, I enjoyed the start of this book. I knew it was a thriller, not literature, and on that level it works, for a while: you do get drawn in, and you want to find out what happens. You also need zero mental energy to read it, so you can blast through it very quickly. There is one main twist, around the half-way mark, that I won't reveal, plus a few further contortions towards the end, each more unlikely than the last.

Ultimately, this is junk literature, and it's shocking and depressing to scan the reviews in various esteemed media (such as the Guardian, the New York Times, and even the New Yorker) and find that people seem to think this book is (a) well written, and (b) a nuanced contemplation on the nature of modern relationships. Good grief! What twaddle.

MAJOR SPOLIER ALERT

Don't read this bit if you want to avoid spoliers... The ending is terrible, and much much worse than that is the inclusion of 'reading notes' at the end, with insultingly stupid discussion points. Worse yet, there's a Q&A with the author which manages to make you think she is actually in sympathy with the female character in her book. Which is pretty frightening. The weird thing is that the author herself seems to admire certain aspects of Amy, mainly from some sort of cod-feminist perspective. Anyway, let's face it, Amy in 'Gone Girl' is not that nuanced a character: she's not psychologically complex. Hamlet she ain't.

I did get sucked in by this book, and I wanted to finish it, to turn pages and find out what happens. But I ended up feeling sullied. Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a thriller!, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I'm starting to question the great reviews which appear on book covers, so many I've read recently don't live up to the hype. This book is heralded as the thriller of the year, it is anything but! I can't understand why anyone would describe it as such. I concede that the first half is intriguing and makes you want to turn the pages. It then suddenly changes and becomes pedestrian and repetitive and essentially pretty dull and boring. I could hardly be bothered to finish it but forced myself to read to the end. I couldn't recommend this book because it was so disappointing and I won't be reading anything else by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, what marriage doesn't have undercurrents?, 22 Oct 2014
Joseph Haschka (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
"But I know I'll never sleep again. I can't close my eyes when I'm next to her. It's like sleeping with a spider." - Nick Dunne

"Isn't that what every marriage is, anyway? Just a lengthy game of he-said, she-said?" - Amy Elliott Dunne

GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn is a deliciously unnerving novel of a marriage gone badly askew.

The plot begins "the day of" as bar owner Nick Dunne discovers his wife has disappeared when, after being telephoned by a neighbor that his home's front door is open and Bleecker the cat is sitting on the front porch, he returns to find wife Amy gone. There are signs of a struggle in the living room. Thus begins Nick's half of the first-person narrative.

Alternating with segments of Nick's tale are entries from Amy's diary beginning seven years previous in 2005.

The two timelines eventually merge.

The first half of GONE GIRL is a riveting Who-Dunne-It. Then, that question answered, the last half is a fascinating exercise in subdued dread - perhaps that same disbelieving unease felt when, purely by chance, you notice a cold and calculating look directed your way by the spouse when he/she is slicing a piece of raw meat with a razor-sharp knife. You thought you knew him/her so well. And maybe he/she knows you too well.

What makes GONE GIRL so good, besides the ingeniously rendered intrigue, is the fact that it's not so farfetched. After all, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men ... and women. As you consider your wife or husband, can you be certain of your continuing safety in the presumed sanctuary of the home you've made together? Is the Trojan Horse the Jag he/she drives into the garage at night?

1.0 out of 5 stars an unnecessary let down, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I regularly enjoy reading thriller novels and crime novels and had heard this was an excellent going to be classic book however when I started reading I found the first quarter/half to be extremely slow and at points tedious and filled with meaningless and pretty much irrelevant information.
Half way through it picks up but both characters began to annoy me sufficiently. The story was better but narration was annoying and repetitive. The last 20 pages or so I was desperate to see how it ended but with each page it became more difficult to read with a lot of unnecessary repetition and very little resolution.
Perhaps if the hype surrounding this novel had not been so much I may have not expected such wonders, but that is not the case and it didnt live up to any of my expectations. It would be an ok read if you didnt know much about it but do bot expect any miracles from this novel. I feel it was a waste of my time but I never start a book without finishing.

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it still makes me angry, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I wasted a day of my life on this nonsense, based on the great reviews, and it has wound me up so badly I have to write this review (the first one ever).

First the positives: the plot idea is at least different...and I like the texture of the cover (I'm clutching at straws here).

Now the negatives: very badly written, does not engage the reader one little bit, dull as ditchwater and very repetitive. To call this a thriller is a wonderful piece of irony.

It reads like it's written by a teenager who has been told to use a thesaurus to broaden their vocabulary. The style is grating in the extreme. Neither character engages the reader and nor does the plot. I found myself struggling at page 15 and starting to skim read. I persevered. I shouldn't have bothered.

I strongly recommend you browse the book in a bookstore. If the writing style doesn't wind you up within two pages then perhaps it's for you. It certainly wasn't for me.

Grrr

Gone Girl
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Paperback - 3 Jan 2013)