4,574 Reviews
 (1,732)
 (1,263)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

Published 12 months ago by K Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype
Published 18 months ago by K. Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.

The book is always straightforward and readable, but maybe there are a few digressions too many. I can't help but feeling that nowadays thriller writers feel the need to expand their books to 600 pages when 400 would have done just as well. That's stupid, because it automatically weakens the suspense.

Gillian Flynn really deconstructed love and marriage here a lot, so I have a suggestion for readers who would like to read a (shorter) crime novel which is thrilling, full of dark humor and lets you believe in love again: Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves that lingers in the mind, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into crime novels/mysteries, which this book generally seems to be billed as, so despite having heard a lot of hype, I wouldn't have bothered reading it were it not for one thing - a list of quotations from the book I found on Goodreads.

There were a couple of quotes , for example one about the dangers of being a cool girl and one about meeting someone who gets you, that really resonated with me and left me unable to resist giving the book a go. Added to this, several reviews mentioned that there was a big twist that they genuinely hadn't seen coming, and I can never resist a good, well-handled twist.

The first thing I'd say is that I'm glad I took a chance on the book. It was difficult to put down; I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next, and I think parts of it will stick in my mind for a long time. So in short, I'd definitely recommend.

It's hopefully not too spoiler-ish to say that the first half of the book is basically mediations on a relationship combined with a mystery: a woman has disappeared - where has she gone? The second half then becomes much more like a psychological crime thriller.

In the first half, there are two voices. Chapters alternate between Nick's (the husband) narration, starting with the day of his wife's disappearance, and Amy's (the wife) diary entries, dating back from the day the two first met years before, and gradually working up to a few days before her mysterious disappearance.

Browsing through some of the reviews on here, I was struck by how many people have commented that they found the first half hard going and a bit irritating, but loved the second half.

Interestingly, I almost entirely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm in a similar socio-economic group to the protagonists and have recently got engaged, but I found the story of the wonderful blossoming of their relationship and its horrible slow decline utterly fascinating. Yes, there was undoubtedly a touch of "first world problems," about it, but falling in and out of love is a fundamental human issue and no more or less exciting and painful just because you happen to be a trust-funded New Yorker. I thought the writing in this part was exceptional. The quotations I'd identified weren't isolated bursts of brilliance, but representative of the whole thing. It genuinely gave me a new perspective on my relationship.

I'm a big fan of unconventional narratives and I thought that the past diary entries versus present narration worked really well. The two storylines didn't quite mesh, showing what a different perspective two people can have on the same event and keeping me guessing about what was really going on in the main characters' relationship and what had happened on the day of Amy's disappearance.

This went on for chapter after chapter (Whilst I burnt through the book, I definitely think it could have been quite a bit shorter without really losing anything), and then came the much vaunted twist. All I can say was that I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't seen it coming and it was incredibly well done. Unfortunately, although I thought that post mid-way twist, the book went rapidly downhill and became, in parts, frankly silly. I actually hated the ended.

Nonetheless, I'd give this book four stars, for the overall brilliant execution and for the fact that to me, parts of the first half were some of the best things I've read in years. My suggestion - search for some of the quotes. If you enjoy them, I think you'll love the book. If they irritate or don't affect you at all, it's probably not for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype, 24 Feb 2013
K. Brooks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I found Gone Girl an OK read on the plus side I liked the overall premise of a story being told from two perspectives and I didn't work out the whole plot immediately so it held some intrigue. But I found the style of writing to be a bit too glossy magazine for my taste and the characters rather 2 dimensional. Not only did I find them unbelievable but I found myself not really caring what happened to them the further I read on. I won't say I totally disliked the book but also found it undeserving of the rave reviews, in the end my overall feeling was of indifference.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 25 Aug 2014
Jools (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This was one of our 'book club' novels, and not the type of book i would otherwise have chosen. However, it was a joy to read. Very well written, and a real page turner. i really looked forward to reading it. Having now finished it, i can see a few flaws in regard to the peripheral characters, but it does not detract from the fact that the main protagonists are very well conceived and drawn, and the plot is driven by the psychology of the characters. It is clever, and great entertainment. I'm not going to tell you any more as it would spoil it for you. Read it. only 2.99 on Kindle. What a bargain.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very unsatisfying, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Expected a lot from this book - read all the reviews and thought it would be right up my street.

Started reading and progress was hard to make. Kept at it and through about 100 pages things started to improve. The middle third of the book is excellent in my opinion and suddenly I was hooked only for it all to unravel over the last 100-150 pages.

The conclusion is wholly unsatisfying and frankly daft. I feel cheated and misled. If you like the beginning then maybe keep reading but otherwise give up before you invest too much of your time in this flawed and over-hyped book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I loved this book it kept me guessing and on edge all the way through and I couldn't wait for the outcome. But, unfortunately it is one of those books that leave you guessing. Sorry to spoil it for anyone but I was so disappointed by the ending I wanted to strangle the author :-(

3.0 out of 5 stars cut through the hype, nothing sensational here., 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
i'm giving it a star less because of the hype. It's well written, a page turner and the author uses a clever device to hook the reader in. Overall it's a decent yarn, but it is so unrealistic it beggars belief. The only character in the book who seemed to act and react normally was the husband. The rest of the characters were one dimensional and their only purpose was to kick the plot along a certain path. No depth to them at all.

I can't see why this particular book has been singled out for so much praise when there are a ton of other thrillers on a par or better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterful, Intelligent Thriller, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I simply do not understand the negative reviews posted regarding this book; I found it to be a superb, intelligent thriller. This maybe because the hype surrounding its US release passed me by; I approached Gone Girl with no expectations, and was pleasantly surprised to discover a substantial and gripping work of crime fiction that far surpasses usual genre efforts.

The premise is simple; Nick Dunne is a recently-redundant yuppie who has relocated from New York to the suburbs with his wife, Amy. Unhappily struggling to make ends meet, Nick returns home one morning to find his wife vanished. A hugely-publicised manhunt ensues in which Nick increasingly finds himself the object of public and police suspicion. Meanwhile, diary entries penned by Amy reveal the background to the Dunne's marriage, whilst casting Nick in a very different light to the one he narrates.

Superbly-constructed and flawlessly-executed, Gone Girl grips from the start with its central mystery and never lets up. As the inconsistencies between the two narrations mount, and suspicion gathers around Nick despite his protestations of innocence, the tension in the first half of the book is racheted up to an unbearable level. Without wishing to spoil anything, I will say only that the twist midway through the book is mind-blowing. Whilst Gone Girl arguably looses some of its momentum following its big reveal, settling into a more familiar rhythm, the reader is well invested in Flynn's wonderful characters by this point, and is eager to see the plot through to its conclusion.

As well as her masterful plotting, Flynn's prose is densely-textured but never overwrought. Her characters' voices are distinctive, and referential to genre conventions as well as popular cultural in a way which lends Gone Girl a postmodern spikiness. Taken together with the central plot strands of Nick's media portrayal and his trial in the court of public opinion, Gone Girl poses some surprisingly weighty questions. In an age saturated with second-hand experience, what constitutes an authentic response to a crisis? When does mass perception become reality, regardless of the facts? And how does one act, faced with a situation unheard-of in everyday life, but wearily familiar from television and the media, without being consumed by cliche? These are contemporary issues of great resonance, and addressed in depth by Gone Girl. Fly writes, too, with an eye for illuminating detail, firmly anchoring her narrative in a specific time and place. The ennui and chain-store anonymity of suburban American in the late 2000's is perfectly captured, along with the contradictions of a society whose sole path to happiness lies through work and shopping, even in an age of rising inequality, underwater mortgages and a hollowed-out labour market.

The ending defies convention, and appears to have left many other readers unsatisfied. I, however, found it excellent; a clever answer to the book's central questions, and a further validation of its thesis. Credit should go to Flynn, I believe, for crafting a page-turner with artistic integrity. Highly recommended not only to genre fans, but anyone seeking a compelling psychological thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars GONE GIRL, 28 Aug 2014
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
On the day of their fifth wedding anniversary Nick Dunne's wife Amy disappears, their living room shows signs of a struggle, and as the police commence with their investigation the finger soon points at Nick. Although he is claiming he is innocent Nick finds his life spiralling out of control as evidence begins to mount up proving otherwise.
When I began to read this novel I found it a little slow going and was not sure that it was going to appeal to me, however that soon changed. An intricate storyline which for so many reasons made it a most compelling read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start, lousy finish..., 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Am something of a thriller junkie, always on the look out for the next 'thriller of the year' or the undiscovered gem. Had not read any Gilllian Flynn and I have to say, I thought the writing style was absolutely fabulous, creating a really strong plot line and strong characters, all written in a genuine, New York style. I read the first half of the book at a canter and was telling everybody it was a real page turner and one of the best thrillers I had read in ages. Then it all went down hill. Am not quite sure what happened after that. The quality of the writing held up but the storytelling went out the window. The plot twists became ever more incredulous and the final, closing twist was just absurd. As others have said, it's as if Flynn didn't actually know how to finish the book.
So a real shame. It's a great story (and structure) which sets off at a cracking pace and the quality of the writing is top notch throughout. We are all prepared to suspend belief to some extent but the second half of the book just deteriorates into farce. Probably the biggest anti-climax in a thriller I can remember in a long time. Exactly the opposite of, say, Joanne Harris' 'Gentleman and Players' where the final twist actually takes your breath away, or Adam Loxley's 'The Teleios Ring' a British thriller which is a real undiscovered gem!

Gone Girl
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Paperback - 3 Jan 2013)
3.50