4,193 Reviews
 (1,566)
 (1,171)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending
Amy and Nick are married for five years, but there is not much harmony left. All of a sudden, Amy is missing. And from there, a more and more surprising and devious plot develops, cleverly and elegantly put together by a very talented writer.

Published 11 months ago by K Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype
Published 17 months ago by K. Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read - Apart From The Ending, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)

It is difficult to talk about the plot without risking spoilers. So let's say this: It is not a conventional thriller. There are twists and totally surprising developments, we are getting manipulated and are lied to by both protagonists. It's not only a thriller, the book is also about unconventional truths about love and marriage. Sadly, the ending is a disappointment. Best not to expect too much from it and just enjoy the reading of the novel as such.

The book is always straightforward and readable, but maybe there are a few digressions too many. I can't help but feeling that nowadays thriller writers feel the need to expand their books to 600 pages when 400 would have done just as well. That's stupid, because it automatically weakens the suspense.

Gillian Flynn really deconstructed love and marriage here a lot, so I have a suggestion for readers who would like to read a (shorter) crime novel which is thrilling, full of dark humor and lets you believe in love again: Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, roller-coaster read, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
From the beginning when Amy’s disappearance is established, I immediately found myself pointing the finger of blame at Nick. There were so many things that I disliked about his character and the way he handled his wife being missing, that I felt sure he was a cold-blooded killer. Without giving too much away, Flynn takes you on a roller-coaster ride and, as the tag line says, there are most certainly two sides to every story.

The book switches from present day, narrated by Nick as Amy’s disappearance and the subsequent police investigations develop; to Amy’s diary in the years leading up to events. The relationship between Nick and Amy comes across as just about ok, and literally, you can feel that something is just not right. However, Flynn carefully crafts the narrative and gradually leads you down a winding, thrilling path that slowly reveals more and more about the two characters.

And this is something that I particularly enjoyed about ‘Gone Girl’. Like a roller-coaster, the plot was unpredictable and it left you feeling breathless throughout. I could not foresee where the story was going to progress and Flynn cleverly plays on readers perceptions of characters to make the next plot twist even more unexpected. At first I struggled to enjoy the different narrative styles between Nick and Amy’s diary entries, but grew to realise that this was another way of showing what the character’s were really like.

The book is split into three parts and just when you think you have nailed it and can anticipate what is coming, Flynn throws in another surprise. I really enjoyed the secrecy and psychological games that were played because it made me question my initial perception of Nick. The dual-narrative adds to the tension in the story as Amy’s journal entries encourage you to understand the motives behind her apparently violent disappearance.

This is the first book I have read by Gillian Flynn and I was not disappointed. This was a thrilling read with plenty of twists and turns along the way; so many, that it is one I could easily revisit, just to find more clues that I may have missed this first time around. I can’t wait to read others by Flynn and really hope they deliver the same level of enjoyment as ‘Gone Girl’ has for me. I beg of you, don’t pass up the opportunity to read this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not deserving of the hype, 24 Feb 2013
K. Brooks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I found Gone Girl an OK read on the plus side I liked the overall premise of a story being told from two perspectives and I didn't work out the whole plot immediately so it held some intrigue. But I found the style of writing to be a bit too glossy magazine for my taste and the characters rather 2 dimensional. Not only did I find them unbelievable but I found myself not really caring what happened to them the further I read on. I won't say I totally disliked the book but also found it undeserving of the rave reviews, in the end my overall feeling was of indifference.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves that lingers in the mind, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into crime novels/mysteries, which this book generally seems to be billed as, so despite having heard a lot of hype, I wouldn't have bothered reading it were it not for one thing - a list of quotations from the book I found on Goodreads.

There were a couple of quotes , for example one about the dangers of being a cool girl and one about meeting someone who gets you, that really resonated with me and left me unable to resist giving the book a go. Added to this, several reviews mentioned that there was a big twist that they genuinely hadn't seen coming, and I can never resist a good, well-handled twist.

The first thing I'd say is that I'm glad I took a chance on the book. It was difficult to put down; I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next, and I think parts of it will stick in my mind for a long time. So in short, I'd definitely recommend.

It's hopefully not too spoiler-ish to say that the first half of the book is basically mediations on a relationship combined with a mystery: a woman has disappeared - where has she gone? The second half then becomes much more like a psychological crime thriller.

In the first half, there are two voices. Chapters alternate between Nick's (the husband) narration, starting with the day of his wife's disappearance, and Amy's (the wife) diary entries, dating back from the day the two first met years before, and gradually working up to a few days before her mysterious disappearance.

Browsing through some of the reviews on here, I was struck by how many people have commented that they found the first half hard going and a bit irritating, but loved the second half.

Interestingly, I almost entirely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm in a similar socio-economic group to the protagonists and have recently got engaged, but I found the story of the wonderful blossoming of their relationship and its horrible slow decline utterly fascinating. Yes, there was undoubtedly a touch of "first world problems," about it, but falling in and out of love is a fundamental human issue and no more or less exciting and painful just because you happen to be a trust-funded New Yorker. I thought the writing in this part was exceptional. The quotations I'd identified weren't isolated bursts of brilliance, but representative of the whole thing. It genuinely gave me a new perspective on my relationship.

I'm a big fan of unconventional narratives and I thought that the past diary entries versus present narration worked really well. The two storylines didn't quite mesh, showing what a different perspective two people can have on the same event and keeping me guessing about what was really going on in the main characters' relationship and what had happened on the day of Amy's disappearance.

This went on for chapter after chapter (Whilst I burnt through the book, I definitely think it could have been quite a bit shorter without really losing anything), and then came the much vaunted twist. All I can say was that I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't seen it coming and it was incredibly well done. Unfortunately, although I thought that post mid-way twist, the book went rapidly downhill and became, in parts, frankly silly. I actually hated the ended.

Nonetheless, I'd give this book four stars, for the overall brilliant execution and for the fact that to me, parts of the first half were some of the best things I've read in years. My suggestion - search for some of the quotes. If you enjoy them, I think you'll love the book. If they irritate or don't affect you at all, it's probably not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm still thinking about what I "thought" about Gone Girl. It is a book about the power of manipulation. As a reader, I went through different emotions at different stages of the novel depending on who was narrating and th stage if the investigation. Neither of the main characters are particularly likeable, but strangely make for incredibly compelling reading. It is scary to think that a couple once in love could end up in this position!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I loved this book it kept me guessing and on edge all the way through and I couldn't wait for the outcome. But, unfortunately it is one of those books that leave you guessing. Sorry to spoil it for anyone but I was so disappointed by the ending I wanted to strangle the author :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book, fantastic story and very clever. I was a tad disappointed with the ending but I would still highly recommend it as a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Books For The Price Of One, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
In a way, you get two different books here. Luckily, both of them are very good. The first is a suspense thriller with a mounting sense of unease built through the accretion of tiny details and the realisation that two different people are looking at the same events in different ways. The revelations are eked out by the author's skilful work and keep the ground moving under your feet. It's an addictive telling that's grounded in truly good writing that particularly captures both a sense of place and the deep psychology of people.

At the midway point we begin to transition to the other book, Gillian Flynn's dissection of the state of modern love and marriage, with some very acute observations and analysis. If you're an old school sentimentalist, you might not like what you find. What I enjoy about the author's take is that she doesn't cosset the reader. She's not afraid to reveal the harsh nature of human beings, the transactional state of some relationships and that love can mean many things to many different people.

Some people have complained about the ending. I have no problem with it. If this were only a suspense thriller, it would not be the ending you'd want, but it fits perfectly with the author's design of her characters and her themes. She's created a very good monster here, but one that could easily exist though few would want to admit that (I've met a handful of sociopaths who play in the same ballpark).

My one criticism is that the second half - in plot terms - is too rushed compared to the first half. I think the ending would have been better served by a slower pace and more of the detail we were used to. But overall, a great book, a great character study, a great commentary, and one that will grow over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read for ages, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually bother writing book reviews as so many others do it much better.

This however is the best book I have read in a long time. It took a little while to get into it but once hooked I found it really enthralling.

There are a couple of places where you need to suspend reality a little, but most books demand that in some way.

Certainly lives up to the hype.

I will read the two preceding books, but from reviews don't expect the same standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
A. book to never put down. Will I ever look at my husband the same again? Incredible how people will make compromises to keep the peace. Are there real marriages out there with a degree of threat and manipulation? It was a brilliant well written book that kept me on my toes till the last p age.Love to know if Nick ever gets the upper hand. What about the baby does he grow up to repeat the mistakes? Is he like Nick or May? So many questions,still to answer.
A great read.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Paperback - 3 Jan 2013)
3.50