5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Biography I've Ever Read
I have been fascinated by Mary, Queen of Scots, since I first heard about her in a history lesson when I was about 9 years old. I was very shocked by the fact that she was executed, partly because she was a queen and partly because she was a woman. I felt that her fate was so unfair and have never come across anything to change that vivid first impression.
I loved...
Published on 7 Feb 2004 by SMG

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, and thorough, biography
I shall keep this review brief as previous reviewers have covered the pros, and cons, of this book. All in all, I enjoyed the biography. I have never read a biography of Mary, Queen of Scots before and here Antonia Fraser provides a thorough study of this unfortunate queen. The book is immensely readable (as are all of Fraser's books I have read so far), scholarly and...
Published on 3 Oct 2010 by Matthew Turner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars DETAILED AND AUTHORITATIVE, 5 April 2012
J. Colin Moss "CM Edinburgh" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Absolutely brilliant book.

Dense at places, but written to engage the reader in Mary and her life, you feel that you get to know her as you read.

Yes it is academic in style, but given the range of sources investigated the writer has managed to pull back the layers to show the reality as well.

So why only four stars? THere are a lot of quotations in French (which I do not speak) which are not translated. Not too many, but enough to irritate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Opinionated, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: Mary Queen Of Scots (Paperback)
A very well researched book which covers Mary's entire life. However, the author is so in love with her subject that she continually presents her own opinion as fact and tries to present Mary in a continually positive light. This occurs so often throughout the book that I found it extremely distracting and annoying. If I had a drink for every time she did this, I would have been drunk by page 20.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this book. I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected and was disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars the complete life of Mary Stuart., 26 Feb 2008
S. A. Kuipers (Groningen, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
One or two reviewers down: Wasn't Mary thee times a widow? Bothwell died before her too, I seem to recall. Quite horribly, too: he was locked up in a dungeon in some castle in Denmark. He was held there, chained to a stone pillar, for ten years. In that time nobody spoke to him (his wardens were expressly forbidden to do so) and his food and drink was brought through a small trap door. After a few years he was a raving lunatic and after that, for the last two to three years he was there, completely catatonic. When he hadn't touched his food for two weeks, they looked in on him and found his dead body clothed in scraps and rags, covered in filth, sores and vermin. He had starved to death. The odd thing is, and it is quite touching too in a way, is that after his death his body was taken out of his cell and was cleaned up, washed, shaved, embalmed and dressed in finery befitting a man of his station. He was given decent christian burial. Why the King of Denmark had treated him so badly in life is not known, nor why he was decently laid out and buried after his death. After Mary's flight to England in 1568 Bothwell is never mentioned again in many books, which is odd: the tragic story of his captivity and death marks a poignant and moving epilogue to their marriage. Nine years after him, Mary would die.
We know she knew Bothwell died, but was she ever told how horrible his end had been....I wonder. This is very good book. Read it and get aquainted with Mary Stuart and her troubled life and times. O and Darnley was a stupid pr*ck, a nasty egocentric spoilt little toff who was a willing if useless pawn in the schemes and intrigues of his ghastly and over-ambitious parents. Bothwell was a hundred times the man Darnley was, Oh Mary Stuart, Oh James Bothwell: why dinnea ye two hi yesel' tae Holland or Flanders, or tae France even, and live happily ever after... Instead of which bliss it was a stone pillar that did for the one, and three strokes of an axe for the other. Sic transit...

2.0 out of 5 stars mary queen of scots, 12 Nov 2012
There is so much information on the background of Mary in this book, it makes your head spin and obviously can not remember who is who.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jean plaidy's better, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Mary Queen Of Scots (Paperback)
In this novel Mary is pure white queen and sad beautiful princess. I think this book as novel and not nonfiction.
Poor Mary has lot of enemy who is villains. She is innocent. That's all written in this book. I don't buy that story. Nether buy this book, if I were you. Mary is sentimental feather head, is my verdict.

Buy Jean Plaidy's nonfiction work "The Fair Devil of Scotland". It's more fun and well written history work. More like history than Fraser!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Mary Queen Of Scots
Mary Queen Of Scots by Lady Antonia Fraser (Paperback - 7 May 2009)
9.09