4.0 out of 5 stars A book about books
Once more author Carlos Ruiz Zafon has produced a magically brilliant book about books with `The Angel's Game' being a supernatural saga, an action-packed thriller, a detective novel and a love story. - and perhaps even a philosophical or religious treatise. It tells a dark and gripping tale with narrative moving at a cracking pace and introducing something new on almost...
Published on 6 Sep 2009 by D. Elliott

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb writing but horribly unfulfilling.
Cor, I'm mad. I feel like writing to the author or publisher, not only for my money back, but for the 3 hours I spent, obsessively reading the last half of this book (unwashed children, hungry cats, unanswered phone) only to find that nothing is answered.

From the moment I started to read The Angel's Game, I realised that we were in the hands of a master - I...
Published on 15 Mar 2011 by C. Castle

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly Unresolved Storyline - Don't buy if you like things all wrapped up!, 8 Nov 2009
Ms. Lorna Brown "Barney!" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Hardcover)
I have literally just finished reading this book and like another reviewer have come online to see if anybody has offered an explanation for what the ending of this book meant - not sad, actually quite a logical thing to do as the mysteries in this book were never explained! It took me a little while to get into this book but once I did I found it very enjoyable and mysterious and I was looking forward to finding out how the mysteries unravelled, including who/what the mysterious Andreas Corelli was. I also agree with another reviewer that Christina was very hard to like, she had no qualities of a heroine and there seemed no reason for David to love her as he did, which made it all the more frustrating.

This is one of the most frustrating books I have ever read, as after enjoying the whole book I finished it having no idea what on earth had happened. For the last 100 pages as the plot started to gather pace and revelations of gigantic proportions started coming out of the woodwork I began to suspect that I was going to finish the novel not fully understanding what had happened and who was who - but worse than that I had no understanding of the mystery at all - it just didn't seem to make any sense at all! If you ejoy reading beautifully written books that don't end satisfactarily I would recommend this - but don't buy it if you like to actually understand and have resolved the storylines.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-wrought over-written gothic fantasy with implausible plot, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
Often with mystery stories the denouement turns out to be a disappointment compared to the suspense of the plot. Here, there more or less isn't a denouement at all. Much of the mystery elements are just not explained or resolved, though there is a supernatural tinge that suggests dark forces - perhaps the Devil - is involved.

The characters are one-dimensional, and the narrator is scarcely believable - one minute he's a bookish weed, the next he's an action hero. The last twenty or so pages feel like they belong in a different book, with violence substituting for the suspense and mystery.

I enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind, but this made me feel like I'd been taken for a ride, even though I'd been held for most of the journey.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
Loved the first novel but this was a real letdown.
The ending, for me, was unfathomable & I won't be back for the other books in the series.

And what's with the 'author's notes' at the back? It seems the author is more concerned with his own pretentiosness than satisfying his readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Angels Game, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Kindle Edition)
Set in Barcelona in the early 1900's the plot revolves around David Martin, a young talented writer who yearns to see his own name on the title of a published book. He eventually get's there but at some cost! I found it to be a strange, facinating and hypnotic story:(a deadly combination since it kept me glued to the pages till the small hours) The author has "a way with words" that grabbed me from the first page and held me to the last, so much so that I am now going to try his other books. My opinion: A darn good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy now, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
Mystyfying, Dazzling and complex, 2nd book of Mr Zafon's that I have read, still do not understand it, but do not let that put you off, loved every minute of it and will read again soon, cannot wait for the next one to arrive, he is pure genius, BUY NOW, you will not be dissapointed

5.0 out of 5 stars another superb book, 29 Oct 2010
Readalot (Co Clare, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
Gave this as a gift to someone who loved the authors previous work.....they said they couldnt put it down and it is another masterpiece

5.0 out of 5 stars subtle, scary and sentimental, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
With shades of Mr Golightly's Holiday, Zafon treads carefully through a fraught writer's mind into the nightmare that is his dreamworld. His loves, parents and passions are all shredded by his fear of death and the potential salvation he is offered by a beguiling mentor who replaces the wisdom and support of an old bookseller. By the finale, I had cried at his desperate attempts to set things right and even felt I would like to write Corelli's masterpiece myself......

3.0 out of 5 stars What the hell was that about, then?, 16 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
As one of those books which everyone is apparantly reading, curiosity got the better of me and bought The Angels Game. Undoubtedly full of style and beautifully described ( a little too much, it could have lost 20 pages), it was an intriguing page turner. But the problem is, I got to the end and had no idea what had happened. Many story strands seemed unresolved and it was unclear exatly what had become of David Martin and indeed, who Corelli really was. Twists are fine, but I really do prefer a definitive resolution. And as other reviewrs have mentioned, the last part was absurd, seeming to give itself over to the qualities of a blockbuster movie, with chases scenes and an increasingly ridiculous body count.

The three stars are awarded for the genuinely interesting, fascinating characters, and the atmosphere of Barcelona created by the author. But ultimately this book just left me frustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the other reviews put you off - ITS JUST AS GOOD!, 3 July 2010
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
Admittedly it s a while since I was bowled over by 'Shadow of the Wind', but I was very reluctant to read 'The Angel's game' because I was put off by some negative comparative reviews that I read. The book is excellent and matches 'Shadow of the wind' in every regard. The last 150 pages you have to read straight off - the book simply demands this of you. I don't think that you will be disappointed. This could be filmed and I think if the screenplay is done well you might fit it into 150 minutes...

3.0 out of 5 stars Complex story, beautiful writing, 3 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Angel's Game (Paperback)
I found this to be a somewhat confused tale, never quite sure what its core story was and more a ramble through various relationships and situations. Not that I did not enjoy it, rather I felt at a loss as to exactly where it was all going. I definitely did not see it as a prequel to Shadow of the Wind.

Set in Barcelona in the 1920s, David Martin is a young journalist and aspiring writer working for a local paper. His stock rises when his boss identifies a nascent talent and persuades him to begin writing sensational crime stories to be serialised in the paper. However his subsequent success is neither shared nor appreciated by his less talented colleagues and his fortune is by no means secured. Out of the blue he is approached by French publisher, Andreas Corelli, who promises Martin a vast sum of money for a very singular commission

Zafon's literary capabilities shine through, his wonderful turn of phrase and some beautiful passages where I slowed my reading to savour the language (a tribute to the translation). The characterisation is acutely observed as is the atmosphere and romance of old Barcelona.

However, the mix of love and personal fortunes with supernatural ghost story never quite resolves itself and, as a result, I never knew whether I should be concerned particularly with the outcome of either, I never got emotionally involved with the story or with Martin himself, which was a great pity because there are some beautiful relationships here and a pacy story.

Enjoy Zafon's writing as he deals with a complex tale.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

The Angel's Game
The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Paperback - 8 Oct 2009)
11.61