Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 August 2013
I am going to reread this book , because the detail of what happened on the Danube, in Romania etc. is new to me & I do want to try to fix it in my poor unwell brain.

Never the less, a cracking story, full of incredibly complex, well drawn characters as always.
on 10 March 2003
I enjoyed this title, although I did not think it was quite as strong as the Szara titles Night Soldiers and Dark Star, but it is still very good. What is impressive about Furst is that he has gradually built up a wholly convincing world - there are many parallels between the different novels, characters from one novel reappear as rumours or gossip in another novel. The cumulative effect of reading all his novels in sequence is very powerful. My only gripe with this new book is that some of the characters use a rather clumsy American slang, which makes some of the dialogue a bit incongruous - I know what he's trying to do, but it can be irritating to find an Eastern European undercover figure beginning his sentences with "Say..." in New York gangster mode. Still a very minor gripe in an otherwise compelling book.
on 5 August 2013
I travel to Central Eastern Europe often and I like looking for references in the book to places that I have been. This was quite complicated to follow at times but I am a confirmed Alan Furst fan so I loved it.
on 30 September 2013
Alan Furst is as good and convincing as ever in intricate tail of attempts to block oil supplies to Germany by blocking the Danube. Downbeat ending disappointing but realistic and convincing - hence four stars
on 3 November 2012
Alan Furst is the modern master of spy thrillers. He has that fantastic ability to create believable characters set against well researched historical detail all of which make for an enjoyable read.
on 11 June 2016
This is not a long book. It's about spying during the second world war involving our European neighbours. It kept me entertained.
on 7 June 2013
Plausible story of intrigue in central Europe in the build up to World War Two. Good page turner. Neat plot.
on 28 June 2015
Definitely worth a read but not one of Alan's best
on 27 June 2016
A continuation of an excellent tradition of wartime novels. Engrossing and well worth the read.
on 4 December 2015