5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent overview
Published on 9 Oct 2008 by Mr. M. Murphy

2.0 out of 5 stars Coffee table book
Not the book I wanted to order which was one that gave a serious account of the service history and development of this airfraft with some informed comparison with competitive machinrs.

This book is very superficial, but is full of colour photos and has some interesting details of post war use of Spitfires in films.
Published on 13 Feb 2009 by Ian H. D. Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent overview, 9 Oct 2008
Mr. M. Murphy - See all my reviews
This is an excellent overview of the full history of this legendary aircraft. The author has produced a lucid and well written account of it's history ,gestation and service. The photography and graphics are first class, with the fold outs being particularly well designed. I have read many books about the Spitfire but this is truly exceptional. This would make an ideal Christmas present for any aviation enthusiast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful little book about a beautiful plane., 25 Jan 2010
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Spitfire: Icon Of A Nation (Hardcover)
This 2009 edition is the reduced-size version of the 2008 coffee-table book The Spitfire: Icon Of A Nation, but with 350 pages it seems to have most of the content - I've only skipped through the larger volume (26.2 x 21.8 x 2.6cm, 288 pages). I could never take the large volume on the Tube, but this one is very convenient.

For the uninitiated or average reader this little book is superb, and it covers the Spitfire from its precarious beginning in the Schneider Trophy times, through the evolution in the war years to its final celebrations in the Battle of Britain Flight. Most of the book uses beautifully shot photos from the war years mentioning many of the people flying and working on the aircraft. There is sufficient technical detail about the various marks and developments to keep most of us happy, but not so much as to bore us into putting the book down.

This was a welcome Christmas present, and having just finished it, I think I need to go back and have a look at some of the bits I missed first time through. It is not the definitive book on the Spitfire, and I am told by a couple of friends who know more than I do that quite a bit is missing, but I am happy with it. So four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a fan, 24 Jan 2010
V. Humphries - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spitfire: Icon Of A Nation (Hardcover)
Brought this as a gift for my father-in-law this christmas as he's a huge spitfire fan. This was excellent value for money. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Spitfire: Icon of a Nation., 29 May 2009
H. B. Wienand (UK) - See all my reviews
Despite the huge number of books on the Spitfire, this one is a most welcome and very well done addition. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not definitive - but very readable., 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Spitfire: Icon Of A Nation (Hardcover)
In a review of another Spitfire book, I described it as not the best around. Nor is this. Another reviewer described it as a coffee-table book. I agree. Another described it as superficial. I agree. But not worth buying? I'd disagree.

This physically-small book is a worthwhile addition to anyone's Spitfire library, especially if you can get it at a discount. I have a few Spitfire and other aviation books, but I found this one to be very easy bedside-table reading. In short, though it's no definitice text - I really like it.

It would make a great gift.

2.0 out of 5 stars Coffee table book, 13 Feb 2009

The Spitfire: Icon Of A Nation
The Spitfire: Icon Of A Nation by Ivan Rendall (Hardcover - 20 Aug 2009)
12.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available