4.0 out of 5 stars In brief - if you like Johnson, another must-have.
"Just another" beautifully written book from Paul Johnson.

A personal, slowhand, approach backed by Epic Knowledge ... a perfect example of that "offhand genius" style that you see in great masters (in any field) who are fully matured.

It's sort of like watching BB King or Eric Clapton (as old men) play guitar.
Published on 21 Nov 2008 by John-Paul May

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good as the previous ones
I have become a Paul Johnson enthusiastic reader in the past couple of years. In particular, I enjoyed the Creators and Intellectuals predecessors of this book, but I must say Heroes leaves much to be desired. On occasion it is too British, and the concept of heroism is too many times too much out of the way for me. Still, it is enjoyable, but it comes a distant third.
Published on 5 Aug 2009 by Fermin Sanchez De Medina

4.0 out of 5 stars In brief - if you like Johnson, another must-have., 21 Nov 2008
John-Paul May (Europe) - See all my reviews
"Just another" beautifully written book from Paul Johnson.

It's sort of like watching BB King or Eric Clapton (as old men) play guitar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting subject which really only skims the surface, 4 Oct 2011
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heroes: From Alexander The Great To Mae West (Paperback)
In Heroes, Paul Johnson describes the life and contribution of a series of people he has considered to be heroic. Obviously the choice of hero is a personal matter (he's chosen 3 US Presidents: Washington, Lincoln and Reagan yet misses our Franklin Roosevelt completely to my surprise) and Johnson is quick to highlight that this is not intended to be a definitive list of "Biggest Heroes Ever". Each chapter is dedicated to either the hero or in some cases several heroes who it makes sense to consider historically as one (eg. Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and Pope John Paul II).

There's two things I really liked about this book: firstly it's thought provoking - throughout Johnson continues to try to refine his definition of a hero and has deliberately examined across a broad spectrum of people - warriors, politicians, martyrs, villains. Secondly, I found it educational - his detail of the contribution of Joan of Arc, Nelson, Wellington and Charles de Gaulle were particularly interesting for me as I did not know much of the history before.

However, I do have to raise two negative comments as well: I found some of the writing style to be overly arrogant - at one point in describing the work of Ludwig Wittgenstein, Johnson suggests that one piece of work was so complicated that anyone who claims to understand it is a liar... for me, what this actually means is the author cannot fathom someone having more knowledge than himself. There's also a little too much of who he met and when... it really didn't interest me - I was far more interested in the detailed research he had done for each mini-biography. The other negative is that although the book is definitely interesting and a recommended read, it feels a little incomplete - Johnson takes the reader along a journey of hero definition with examples but at the end I felt there was perhaps more to add.

I felt it unfair to drop the score for this book due to the second of these negative comments, but the writing style definitely got on my nerves hence 4 out of 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good as the previous ones, 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: Heroes: From Alexander The Great To Mae West (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars How can a book claiming to be on heros and written in recent times, fail to include Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ?, 23 July 2010

Heroes: From Alexander The Great To Mae West
Heroes: From Alexander The Great To Mae West by Paul Johnson (Paperback - 16 April 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01