Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 March 2012
I've yet to read an Alan Furst novel that didn't enthral me from start to finish and this one doesn't disappoint.All his novels are based around the business of spying in the years leading up to and during WW2.Atmospheric and riveting reads the lot of them.I look forward to any new Furst novel the way I used to look forward to le Carre's before he turned into a bore.
on 6 October 2013
I felt this book lacked a cohesiveness. The story line seemed be just a series of unrelated events set around a rather 'flat' character. It was set in a period (rise of the Reich) where a compelling story could have been told but the book didn't really do that. Furst has written better books.
on 13 January 2001
Kingdom of Shadows is a puzzling book for admirers of Alan Furst, almost a B-movie in comparison to the dazzling Dark Star and the Jean Casson series (The World at Night, Red Gold).
Why return yet again to emigre communities in Paris, except to reprise a lot of the beautifully crafted atmospherics of the Jean Casson novels?
And why waste the hugely sinister potential of pre-war Hungary by concentrating the novel almost entirely on Paris - yet again?
Kingdom of Shadows left me unsatisified in comparison with Furst's other novels. Despite being a pleasurable read, this novel did not suprise me or enlighten me in the manner of his other novels. I look forward to the return of Jean Casson in a sequel to Red Gold.
on 6 November 2013
A good combination of events that keeps one interested in what is going to happen next.
Well researched and surely must have happened to somebody during this period of turmoil
Was it really fiction? Or perhaps just the names changed to hide the brave.
on 4 June 2014
I republished this book. The detail of the people, places - even the food, kept me wanting more. The only reason I have given four stars rather than five it I would love to have read more. Now on to the Polish officer.
on 2 September 2015
No one can beat Furst in bringing to life both people and places as they existed in the years before and during WW2 in mainland Europe. He captures detail like a painter. Reading his books is unalloyed joy.
on 30 May 2003
In reading "KINGDOM OF SHADOWS", I saw echoes of "The Third Man". Furst does a superb job here of making you feel 'in the moment', in the midst of a time in which Europe stood on the brink of war. The Europe of 1938 and early 1939 lives again through Furst in "KINGDOM OF SHADOWS". I liked von Morath and admired his style and sang-froid. His relationship with his mistress was tender and endearing. More than anything, I loved the cinemagraphic sensations this novel evoked in me. "KINGDOM OF SHADOWS" reads as good as any of the best movies of "film noir" you'll ever see. Highly recommended.
on 2 October 2013
Europe in turmoil during the late thirties. The protagonists move from Paris to Hungary, Romania and the Sudetenland. All this against a Europe on the brink of war, a must read.
on 18 October 2014
Less action than most Alan Furst novels but if anything better for it, really gets the feeling of eastern Europe in the run up to WW II.
on 26 April 2014
Great read. Have to wonder what it was like back then. Main character is very good and this is worth the time to read. Make a good film.