5.0 out of 5 stars The best body shape yet!
Published on 3 Dec 2007 by L. C. Espin

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful in parts
Published on 2 Mar 2008 by buttons3563

5.0 out of 5 stars The best body shape yet!, 3 Dec 2007
L. C. Espin "Cree" (London) - See all my reviews
I've bought a few books about dressing for your body shape but this one is definitely the best one. Their advice is spot on and definitely changed the way I view my body. Most body shape books break down body types to about 6 at best but this book goes further with not only a lot more body shapes and but also describes traits like leg proportion, neck length and bottom size.

It has changed the way I shop. I now walk straight passed all the gorgeous but wrong for me clothes - no matter how fab! I look for shape first, fabric and colour next. My "what was I thinking" shopping mistakes have disappeared and I'm now feeling a lot better about my body. Not bad for one book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative book and great fun!, 21 Sep 2007
Reader (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of T&S for many years - I like their advice which I feel is down to earth and applicable to the majority of woman. This book takes their advice from previous books and distills it into 12 body types. Whilst it is true that once you find out your type you don't need the rest of the book, I still found it great fun and very informative. For example, the book has been passed round my friends and office colleagues and all of them have, fairly easily, identified their body type. It is also useful reading about the other types as there are different hints that are also applicable to your own. They finish each chapter with celebrity pictures of each type showing both a good outfit and a bad one - this I found instructive and interesting as they analyse exactly why it is good and bad for that type. The wardrobe suggestions for my type (hourglass)were also spot on - having read some of their advice in the past I have a much better idea of what suits me. The only trouble is that I now need to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mix and Match for Best Results, 29 Nov 2007
BunniesKill (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
By expanding the four classic body shapes into 12, Trinny and Susannah have tried to make it easier for women to find their type. Ironically, this has made it more difficult, because their new shapes are so specific that most women won't fit one exactly. (Of my friends who have read this book, only one knew her type immediately, because she is a classic hourglass.) T&S do acknowledge in their introduction that there may be crossover, but nowhere else in the book.

For example, I am most definitely a Pear, but my legs are one of my best features and my calves are not chunky. The book suggests all kinds of ways for pears to hide their legs, assuming they're a cosmetic detriment for all of us. Basically, Trinny has turned the Pear shape into Trinny shape, without acknowledging that she is an extreme example of that type, with a VERY long torso, VERY short legs, and a VERY flat chest. (Yet she is beautiful.)

I think it might have been better to have fewer shapes with broader descriptions, and then give specific advice based on certain features possible within the type. ("If you are an Hourglass with a large frame....etc.") Measurements and tips for finding your type would have been helpful too for readers who can't tell if their waist is long or short, for example, in proportion with the rest of them.

You may find that you have been unconsciously choosing some of their looks for your body type without realizing why you like them. I never understood why I preferred chunky heels over stilettos on myself, but it's because the thicker heels help balance my hips. Susannah and Trinny explain these things in their characteristic, abrasive tone and do not hold back. In each chapter they tell you authoritatively what is wrong with your body and then lay down the law. It can make you flinch.

The celebrity examples for each type are really nice, because it not only makes you see how each shape can be beautiful, but how shape is about proportion and not how much you weigh. Even in their "bad" examples, though, most of the stars look good. It's hard to swallow that Shakira, who has one of the world's most celebrated bodies, should never reveal her legs above the knee. Beauty, confidence, and physical fitness hide a lot of body-shape "sins."

All that said, the advice in this book is extremely useful when used judiciously. It's a great guideline for choosing new clothes and understanding out why some styles will just never work for you. Along with their guide to "what colors go with what" from WYWCCYL, this is my favorite T&S reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 25 Sep 2007
I love it, but then I love everything Trinny and Susannah write. Just received it yesterday and I'm trying to decide if I'm an hourglass, cello, or skittle. There are tons of little pieces of advice that speak to me (such as the fact that hourglasses generally don't look so hot in casual clothing and should dress up, and that cellos look great with big hoop earrings that make their heads look bigger so as to balance out their lower parts). I also love the part on how to revamp old items from the closet that don't work - I found that inspirational. My only criticism is that I'm a tiny bit confused by the celebrity examples. Is it possible that Halle Berry is a skittle? She seems so well-balanced and hourglassy to me. And is Shakira really a pear? Oh well, I trust Trinny and Susannah. My husband says that since I started reading their books I've been dressing better. Please keep churning out the books, T&S, and I'll keep flashing the credit card.

4.0 out of 5 stars sensible & spot on, 10 Dec 2007
While T&S can be abrasive & dogmatic when it comes to their programmes & advice giving, it can be sensible and spot on. For the record I think I'm a cross between a goblet & hourglass and their recommendations for both shapes are making a difference in my wardrobe. Credit should also be given to their "Recycle your Wardrobe" section.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful in parts, 2 Mar 2008
buttons3563 (bedfordshire england) - See all my reviews
As a fan of T and S i bought this hoping it would advise me of the right styles for my shape which i must say that it did however the book is heavily padded out with other info which is not at all helpful if your not that shape. the part relevent to your own shape is only about 5 pages long and then the majority of the rest of the book is about all the other shapes. I'd recommend either borrowing this from the library and scanning the pages relevant to your shape for future ref or buying it from amazon then selling it on. it won't be a classic

4.0 out of 5 stars It depends on how many people will take advantage of the book!, 17 Oct 2007
The book is OK, although I agree with one of the reviews, which said that it took like 20' for the reader to get through the whole book. As for me, I am still hesitating whether I am a skittle or a vase, or a hybrid of both. I did like though, all the advice that appears for both body types, and it was good to notice that I was unconsciously doing some things (like wearing chunky heels), while I had not realized the importance of a good haircut in order to give some balance to a skittle silouette. I will share the book with friends and sisters, whom I believe will appreciate all the advice that appears for several body types.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential tips for fat bum hiding!, 1 Oct 2007
I'm short and round with a great big rear-end and chunky legs. But thanks to this book I don't look as awful as you may think! Trinny and Susanna really offer some sound advise in this book. They've made me realise that rather than always telling myself I'll be thinner soon (despite dieting for a maximum of three days) I need to admit that this is my shape and learn to dress it the right way. I think there are two books all women need this Christmas - this and The Shopaholics Guide to Buying Fashion & Beauty Online. You learn what to wear and where to buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must!, 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Body Shape Bible: Forget Your Size Discover Your Shape Transform Yourself (Paperback)
I truly take my hat off to Trinny and Susannah! Their practical no nonsense approach to how we see ourselves and how to make the best for and of ourselves really works, if you have even just a little bit of courage to try their advice. I've seen it work on me and on others to whom I've shown their "bible". It's true!! Of course, there's also the whole matter of our different body shapes - thank God someone finally found more than just the traditional "apple and pear" shapes. Thank you, girls!

4.0 out of 5 stars a lot of body shapes, hard to decide which one you are, 11 July 2009
I like that every chapter starts with a clear picture of a woman of the body shape discussed. This woman is wearing a thight top and a legging, such that you can really see her body shape. But they don't give you measurements (or ratios) so it is still really hard to find your own body shape. I think you should be an expert to be able to identify a body shape. On their site there is a link for a body shape calculator, but that link does not work any more :(
My biggest problem is that I don't know what the difference is between big thighs and chuncky thighs or when are boobs average and when are they big. I miss criteria in this book.
I also found some inconsistencies. In some chapters they discuss what swimsuit is best or what necklace or earings, but in others they just skip it.
Overall I liked this book, I think every woman should read it. Only don't expect to find an answer for all your problems. If you read all the chapters you could learn to understand how to make a better choise when you are shopping. It will take some time and effort to read the book and to remember their advice. I think it is worth it to try and learn from this book, because it opens your eyes.

The Body Shape Bible: Forget Your Size Discover Your Shape Transform Yourself