Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 27 December 2006
What a let down! I loved Belle's first book. This one, was simply awful. I kept forcing myself to turn each page, hoping desperately that the story would pick up, that it would get interesting. It didn't. This book is boring and self indulgent. Belle talks for 322 pages and somehow manages to say nothing at all. I had hoped that when I got to the conclusion, I would discover why Belle thought her ramblings important enough to be published. There is no conclusion, she simply stops talking. I feel angry and cheated.
on 5 October 2007
I wish I had read the other reviews before I bought this book but I had enjoyed the first one so much it never occurred to me that the second would be anything but briliant. How wrong I was. The Belle of the first book was a strong confident admirable woman that I bet a lot of women secretly wish to be, call girl career and all. I loved her open minded attitude to people and found her a thoroughly likeable peron.

SO!! what happened in the second book? Well her first mistake was giving up "the business". Turning herself into a normal girl was the worst thing Belle could do because with that came the boring dull life and a personality to match. It is hard to believe that this is the same girl. She has turned into a pathetic sap, letting 'the Boy' treated her like garbage and making excuses for his childish bevahiour. Please!! I can get that kind if drivel from the stupid girls at work.
My advice... Get your sexy knickers back on and go back to doing what you are best at. There's no shame in that.
on 15 February 2010
I only picked up a copy of this book recently, and having read the original "Belle de Jour" a few years ago, I was hoping this would be an equally entertaining read.

Huge mistake.

The original Belle was feisty, clever, witty and funny. In the second book however, Belle decides to give up the game and go on a long holiday, somehow leaving her personality behind in the process to become an exceptionally boring person. She hooks up with the Boy again, and upon learning that he is unfaithful, starts obsessing over everything he says and does. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the subject was over and done with in the space of one or a couple of diary entries, but the moaning goes on, and on, and on, and then some more for literally hundreds of pages. It's about as entertaining as watching paint run dry.

There is no story whatsoever to this book; it's just a big, dull, bitter whinge-fest. I wish I had taken notice of the reviews on here before I started reading what must be one of the most boring books in recent history.
on 21 June 2007
If you enjoyed the first book then save yourself the hassle with the second. Gone is the sassy confident call girl Belle. Obviously a certain amount of it had to be a veneer but ALL of it?

Instead she is replaced by a normal girl. Ordinarily this would be fine except she has been replaced by THAT girl. The one you have to hate.

Whining about a cheating boyfriend but never bothering to do anything about it, bitching about other girls behaviour as if her own is exemplary and acting like a 12 year old over her parents divorce...

It's like she has become a nasty version of Becky from the Shopaholic series... the difference being that Sophie Kinsella is well aware her heroine is a bit of a joke.

I spent the whole book skim reading and wishing Belle would put back on her working knickers as that's obviously where her backbone is. *pout* I just really hope it was a bad year as I'm pretty sure she deserves better and am damn sure she can write to a higher standard.
on 16 June 2011
I really enjoyed the first book by Belle de Jour and (wrongfully) expected more of the same in this book! "Further Adventures of a London Call Girl" - she gives up her job as a call girl very early on! I feel cheated even by the title!

The book just goes on about her friends, family, relationships, trying to do a `proper' job, etc. This could be like any other novel about a woman juggling the various elements in her life... when it could have been so much more (the unique selling point is that she is (was) a call girl!).

Her character comes across as quite weak and feeble in this book (whereas in the previous story, she seems quite strong-willed, dominating, knows what she wants etc). But the way she keeps going back to `the boy' when he treats her the way he does (don't get me wrong - love makes us do funny things!), I'm really quite unsure about the whole thing. And this story-line makes up about 70% of the book.

I continued reading, just to see if it would (somehow?) improve towards the end - don't bother: I can tell you now that it doesn't.

My advice - if, like me, you watched the TV series with Billie Piper, enjoyed it and decided to read the book... READ ONLY THE FIRST BOOK! This one just disappoints :(
on 7 September 2010
I bought this book after I read the first one as I felt it was only right to read the second. I have to admit I am hugely disappointed, it isnt as good as the first one, but the first one wasnt good in the first place.

I found this one dragged alot and some events were a little unbelievable. In some parts, the quick wit Belle from the first book pops up in some areas, but then seemed to die down again. If I didnt know it, I would of thought someone else wrote this book compared to the first one. She seems like two different women. In her first book she was a call girl, who loved the money, in the second, she quits over night, gets an office job, leaves it, and flies to America. It just all seems a bit unrealistic.

I got a little bored of hearing about "The Boy", and the things he was doing to her. Whether it was love or not, I know if I found my boyfriend, searching through my things, or seeing other women, I would of done alot more than ignore it. For a woman who seems so confident, and even more so because she is a call girl, does she really think that little of herself to be walked over, or is this just made up and dragged out, because she had nothing else to write about, and it just made more of a story?

We dont hear as much about the A's in this one, and they pretty much seem to disappear once she goes on a very long holiday to see her cousin in America. Spends more time ringing "The Boy" and never seemed to ring any of the A's or N, I was shocked, considering these are her "best friends" and always been there for her.

The way she talks about some scenes, I find it hard to believe. I have male friends and I am not easily embarassed or shocked when they describe what they want to do to a woman in the most explicit ways possible. But hearing "Belle" say it, made me feel like maybe a man wrote these parts? Even down to how she met people in one scene when she goes into a club and picks up a woman and instantly goes home with her, showers and takes her to bed. I felt this is probably more of a man's fantasy than reality. Hand on heart, how many of us, know people who can pick up men or women as easily, quickly, and daily as Belle? Seems too good to be true.
on 29 July 2007
Sigh, it was only the memory of the first book which kept me going to the end of this one. Even that did not stop me skipping pages of interminably dull, irrelevant commentry of absolutely no interest to the reader. My desperate hopes that Belle would provide a punch line - something, anything (?) - were not fulfilled. I might as well publish my own diary and pass it off as readable fiction. However, mine will have in common what it does with this book - it is unlikely to be of any interest to anyone but the writer.

Now let's move on to the, frankly, disgraceful press she gives herself with the whinging insecurities of her relationship with "the Boy" . My word, boring, boring and more boring. Add a splash of frustration and amazement at her complete lack of self respect and you will get the picture. All that is left to say is that Belle's anonymity will serve her well - better luck next time but I will not be parting with my hard earned cash for a third time.
on 15 June 2012
I really enjoyed the first book and found the author intelligent, witty and fairly self-possessed...the second book couldn't be more different! You realise what a desperate needy person she is and how her really low self esteem has left her open to abuse. I don't think I could re-read the first one now without seeing it as the tragic story of being taken advantage of rather than the Amusing ramblings of a "career girl".
My main frustration with the book was her desperate need to be liked, at all costs...but her hatred of women who from the outside seem to be in more control than she is. I was looking forward to reading this book, but I wouldn't recommend it as it will completely ruin the first one for you.
on 2 October 2006
I imagine that many readers of the first Belle de Jour book awaited the arrival of this tome as I eagerly as I did. The question on everyone's lips must be; does it live up to the expectations set by the first? Initial impressions would be that it is written in the same vein. Further exploration does, however, reveal a very different animal. It does read rather like a sequel because, duh! it is a sequel... but to reproduce the first book, or the ongoing blog, would have been tiresome and derivative. This time the author has struck out in a subtly different direction, and fleshed out some of the characters previously introduced. Mainly, though, the pseudonymous one has written an amusing novel of the love-life of the main player, with whose antics many previous readers (myself included) have developed an almost unhealthy obsession.

In this book, like its predecessor, the story is punctuated by bullet point lists, top tens, and in a new variation, several pages of agony aunt letters to Belle. These, like the rest of the book, draw on the author's experience as a call-girl while carefully not being as much about prostitution as the first volume clearly was. Don't get me wrong - there is a fair bit of prostitution in it, but these encounters form less than half of the numerous sexual liaisons described. The professional hook-ups do tend to contain more detail than the more personal ones. None of the description is too gratuitous, though. Throughout, the book is good-humoured and entertaining, rather than pointlessly titillating. I enjoyed reading it, and then I enjoyed reading it again almost immediately. I would recommend Belle de Jour's Further Adventures to anyone who isn't offended by female promiscuity, but I would strongly suggest reading the first book first.
on 12 December 2010
I loved the first book and so was so excited to recieve the second.
How can it be called diary of a call girl when she quits after the first ten pages?!?!?!?
She goes on holiday, moping after a boy and does nothing exciting - I quit reading after forcing myself to keep going, after reading 3/4 desperately hoping for it to get better.