4.0 out of 5 stars I loved the first book. Clearly, some hated it... but:
I imagine that many readers of the first Belle de Jour book awaited the arrival of this tome as I eagerly as I did. The question on everyone's lips must be; does it live up to the expectations set by the first? Initial impressions would be that it is written in the same vein. Further exploration does, however, reveal a very different animal. It does read rather like a...
Published on 2 Oct 2006 by frequent flyer X

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!
What a let down! I loved Belle's first book. This one, was simply awful. I kept forcing myself to turn each page, hoping desperately that the story would pick up, that it would get interesting. It didn't. This book is boring and self indulgent. Belle talks for 322 pages and somehow manages to say nothing at all. I had hoped that when I got to the conclusion, I...
Published on 27 Dec 2006 by Megan C

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Still witty but mostly disappointing, 7 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl (Paperback)
I bought this book after I read the first one as I felt it was only right to read the second. I have to admit I am hugely disappointed, it isnt as good as the first one, but the first one wasnt good in the first place.

I found this one dragged alot and some events were a little unbelievable. In some parts, the quick wit Belle from the first book pops up in some areas, but then seemed to die down again. If I didnt know it, I would of thought someone else wrote this book compared to the first one. She seems like two different women. In her first book she was a call girl, who loved the money, in the second, she quits over night, gets an office job, leaves it, and flies to America. It just all seems a bit unrealistic.

I got a little bored of hearing about "The Boy", and the things he was doing to her. Whether it was love or not, I know if I found my boyfriend, searching through my things, or seeing other women, I would of done alot more than ignore it. For a woman who seems so confident, and even more so because she is a call girl, does she really think that little of herself to be walked over, or is this just made up and dragged out, because she had nothing else to write about, and it just made more of a story?

We dont hear as much about the A's in this one, and they pretty much seem to disappear once she goes on a very long holiday to see her cousin in America. Spends more time ringing "The Boy" and never seemed to ring any of the A's or N, I was shocked, considering these are her "best friends" and always been there for her.

The way she talks about some scenes, I find it hard to believe. I have male friends and I am not easily embarassed or shocked when they describe what they want to do to a woman in the most explicit ways possible. But hearing "Belle" say it, made me feel like maybe a man wrote these parts? Even down to how she met people in one scene when she goes into a club and picks up a woman and instantly goes home with her, showers and takes her to bed. I felt this is probably more of a man's fantasy than reality. Hand on heart, how many of us, know people who can pick up men or women as easily, quickly, and daily as Belle? Seems too good to be true.

4.0 out of 5 stars Belle Amore, 17 Nov 2006
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Having enjoyed the enigmatic Belle's first novel, I was hooked and immediately hoped there would be a sequel, which there was. It's a very different book from the first, because it details the tail end of her career as a call girl. Belle's wit and intelligence leap from every page, but I must confess to becoming a little bored with her relationship with 'the boy' by the end of the book. Her observations are still as sharp as ever and she's summed up the horror of having to deal with office politics rather nicely. All in all, a well written book, but it will probably disappoint readers who had hoped for a continuation of the first novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome and overlong, 16 April 2007
Archy (ALTRINCHAM, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I should say I haven't read the first book, but picked this up out of curiosity. It was very cheap, and I can see why. It's occasionally amusing, but Belle's ramblings about her love life get very tedious after 200+ pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome year in the life..., 20 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl (Paperback)
I think all the criticisms people have about this book can be split into three parts:

1) "But... she's not a hooker anymore!!!"
So? Belle remains the same warm, witty woman she was when we last saw her, only now she's in a different line of work. There's still sexual encounters aplenty, plus the "Dear Belle" sections where she gives invaluable (and hiarious) life advice.

2) "Ugh, how could she even THINK about going back to The Boy???"
Um, because she loves him? This is a real person writing this book remember, and real people do this kind of thing. What should she do, break up with him to make readers happy?

3) "It ends in a stupid place, nothing happens, blah blah blah..."
If I could just explain the concept of Real Time: events don't start on the first day of the new diary and then round themselves off to a neat conclusion one year later. This happens to Bridget Jones because she's not real, and doesn't have to live in Real Time.

As for my humble opinion, I thought we saw less of Belle-the-whore and more of Belle-the-girl, which can only be a good thing. I'd say I like her even more in this book- she's not a sexual temptress 24/7, she gets insecure just like the rest of us. There's no shortage of sex scenes (the fact that they're personal rather than professional just makes them even better) and more than a couple of laugh-out-loud moments. A brilliant book and I hope she'll write a third.

2.0 out of 5 stars A dull and dreary version of Bridget Jones, 26 Dec 2007
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl (Paperback)
The title of this book is really misleading, because Belle is only a call girl for the first 50 pages of the book and then she `goes straight'. Unfortunately she also turns into a whining dull Bridget Jones type in the process as she obsesses about her boyfriend seeing other people behind her back.

Save yourself the bother. If you were thinking of buying this for titillation then save yourself the bother, there is hardly any sex in it, and she really isn't interesting enough as a character / protagonist to carry a whole book of moaning.

Woeful.

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?!, 9 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book, pretty disappointed in this follow up. I was hoping the story would pick up but I did not get into her ramblings and felt that she would have had more sense regarding "the boy". I was also disappointed with the end, hopefully this was a blip in Belle's life.

2.0 out of 5 stars banality of a call girl's life, 2 May 2012
Mr. Robert Marsland (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl (Paperback)
I bought this book, after having seen a little bit of the attached T.V. series of the previous volume and thinking that perhaps there might be something to this phenomenenon. However on reading a little it became clear that if the previous book is as bad as this one is I wonder why it was such a big hit. The story as there is such, wanders too much into the banal to be of any real interest. it ain't too sexy either

2.0 out of 5 stars a real let down, 29 Jan 2012
libby_black (derbyshire, united kingdom) - See all my reviews
having read and loved her first book and also having watched the televison series, i could not wait to get my hands on this. what a let down it was. not in the same vein as the first book. it also (sorry to spoil it) has no proper conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Aug 2011
This is a great book, however it isnt as saucy as the first, but still a good read and has more of a story, i won't spoil the ending.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Oct 2007
R. Armstrong "Chel" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl (Paperback)
Compared to the 1st one this is rubbish! I expected this to be just as good but its like the author is completely different person! Theres no story and its boring and dull! Dont waste your money...i no i wish i hadnt wasted mine!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl
The Further Adventures of a London Call Girl by Belle de Jour (Paperback - 16 May 2007)