5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Present
This book was given to me and it is so beautifully written and illustrated I shall treasure it always. It has a wonderful introduction by Dan Cruilshank and excellent text by Steven Brindle who has obviously done his research well. The book is written in an easy, flowing manner and is really makes you feel that you know the true Isambard Kingdom Brunel -what a man!
I...
Published on 18 Oct. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview but no particluar depth
I picked this book up while working out in the Middle East recently. Well, I'd been away for a while and exhausted the local sights so inevitably it was time to become a resident of Starbucks, drinking coffee and reading.

'Brunel', I thought - 'now that should be interesting', knowing him as the guy who built Paddington Station, the railway to Bristol and...
Published on 22 Aug. 2008 by James Belton

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated, 28 Mar. 2013
This is a great book on an excellent topic. Beautifully illustrated throughout, logically organised and without plenty of information. I bought this after borrowing a library copy. Definitely recommended for anyone wanting to know more and/or enjoy reading about IKB - 'The Little Giant'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Brunel: The Man Who Built the World (Phoenix Press) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, i have an interest in real people who have changed the world and the way we do things .
everybody has benefited from people like Brunel and others like him.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand why this is so highly rated, 22 Feb. 2007
I'm disappointed with the book, and slightly perplexed with the reviews it has been given to date.

Firstly, the style is feels awkwardly 'casual' to me - it obviously isn't aimed as a particularly formal history book (fine), but tries to impact some 'Jeremy Clarkson' enthusiasm which doesn't ring true to me (awkward like my Dad trying to dress casual!)

I was disappointed by the limited technical explanations on the engineering - I realise that the book need to be accessible to all, but it left me unsatisfied. Some more diagrams please! My imagination isn't as good a Brunel's!!

There are lots of comments like "...its complexities can only be hinted at here" and disclaimers all over the place. At less than 200 pages of large type I also felt short-changed by the quantity. The editing was also rather poor, with some sentences seeming repeated during the book - a little slap-dash on the old copy-and-paste!

Repeatedly throughout the book there are disclaimers such as: "It is important to remember that there is no catalogue of Brunel's works...". Brunel always 'seems' or 'appears' to have done something - it's all a bit vague (or that might be Brindle's attempt at a down-to-earth style), and that's all contradictory to comments that Brunel "must be one of the most well-document individuals...in British history". Maybe the answer relates to Brunel "leaving a huge archive of documents...much of this immense collection remains unexplored" - I can't see much evidence of primary research - the book seems to be a mainly a quick re-hash (and cash-in) of other biographies. I was looking for some substance.

Not that it's all bad by any means...some positive have already been pointed out in other reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brunel, 23 Feb. 2014
A lovely little informative book, a must for any Brunel fan. A man who changed the World through his engineering and mobility on land and sea.

5.0 out of 5 stars loads of images Great depth of detail, 23 Sept. 2014
interesting book, loads of images Great depth of detail .This is my sixth book ive read about this great character and one of my favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargain!!, 10 Jan. 2014
A really high quality product,I wish I`d had this infomation during my school history lessons.A really informative and interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good in that there are many insights into Brunel the ..., 12 April 2015
M. S. George "Mike" (North Scotland) - See all my reviews
Very good in that there are many insights into Brunel the man, as well as details of his engineering feats. A very interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 12 May 2014
just what I expected this book to be , interesting and a brilliant read ; I intend to buy more of this genre of books ;

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Man, 13 Nov. 2014
A truly interesting book about a Great Man tells all the great things and some not so great worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Dec. 2014
D. R. Kearley "delboy" (england) - See all my reviews
always been very interested in brunel this gives a good insight into the man

Brunel: The Man Who Built the World (Phoenix Press)
Brunel: The Man Who Built the World (Phoenix Press) by Steven Brindle (Paperback - 5 Oct. 2006)