on 1 April 2008
This is one of the best books I've read in a very very long time. It's quick witted, surprisingly funny over and over again and it is touchingly life affirming.

The twists in the plot are pretty predictable, but that is totally forgiven for providing so many laughs from such enjoyable and contrasting characters, and the madness and strangeness of the situations.

And it's nice to know there are other people out there who suffer far worse than I do from such painstaking indecision! Lol.

If you enjoy zany characters, a cohesive and flowing narrative that will keep you page-turning, and want to remember how good it feels to laugh, get this book!
on 21 March 2006
Mil Millington is one of the very few authors who makes me laugh outloud while I'm reading his novels, and this new book is no exception. It's the story of a man who should be dead, but having avoided death as a result of a series of random, meaningless decisions, he finds himself incapable of getting on with his life, terrified by the thought that even the smallest decision (coffee, or tea? Shower or bath?) could mean the difference between living and dying. From this premise, Millington has created a brilliant, funny novel, which I loved. It's full of hilarious moments, and great dialogue, and some very funny sex scenes, but it's also a thoughtful, warm story about fate and about love. The guy is a comic genius - better than Nick Hornby or Tony Parsons by a mile.
Now I'm a Millington fan: I subscribed to his mailing list; I loved his first book to pieces. I wasn't a fan of his second book, I admit, but thought this sounded good.
Sadly it is dreadful. A dismal "plot", a leading character who is maddeningly stupid (he can't make his mind up, spending in one scene one and a quarter hours trying to decide whether he should have a bath or a shower), and a leading lady whose every sentence is littered with four-letter words and who just comes across as obnoxious.
I'm sorry to say it but this was the worst book I have read in a long, long while. Deeply disappointed, and I won't be buying any more of his stuff if this is anything to go by.
on 24 February 2007
Millington shows how comedy witting is done.

Although the plot becomes too surreal about half way through the quality of the comedy is unquestionable. Puts other authors of a similar style to shame.

Despite how good this book is the end does become very predictable, but a great read none the less.
on 19 April 2011
I first read this book as soon as it came out in paperback and was hugely disappointed following Mil's previous novels.

However. I then read his fourth novel and liked it so much that I thought I'd give this another go.

One of my better decisions. The fault in the first reading was obviously mine and not the books. The story about how we can become restricted by our own inactions is excellent, the characters all believeable (If not neccessarily likeable) and the conclusion both logical and well worked out.

I love Mil's books, all have been so different yet all have the same sense of the absurdity of human existance at their core.
on 18 August 2010
Ok, so a lot of books get described as 'laugh out loud' and I am often sadly disappointed to find that they have managed to force a mere chuckle out of me. However, this book had me in stitches and made people stare at me-I therefore fully recommend it! I would probably read it again, if only my friend hadn't stolen it to read herself, due to her intrigue at my complete loss of the entire English language and the ability to breathe due to laughing!
on 30 July 2010
I'm not a bloke, but I loved his first book - "Things my girlfriend..." Thought it was the funniest book I've ever read - laugh-out-loud side-splittingly funny. So bought this one expecting it to be as good, and didn't find it amusing at all. Read it once and then it went straight to the charity shop.
on 10 April 2013
I've read this book so many times now I've lost count It's so funny and very insightful. The lead character is very easy to identify with and I find my self laughing out loud at his thought processes. A very entertaining read that I will happily recommend to anyone and everyone.
on 8 July 2012
Probably not since a Tom Sharpe have I laughed out loud so much. This book is brilliantly funny and the banter between the characters is priceless. I've even read sections aloud to unsuspecting friends. Buy and enjoy. One of the funniest books I have ever read.
on 25 December 2006
Tempted by the glowing reviews about the humour and quality of this book on the cover, I picked this up at the airport, hoping that I had found a really good new humour writer. However, while it's OK for a beach read (which is where I read it) it's really very forgettable and I laughed, maybe, twice.

Rob's adventures and fellow-travellers are, at times, funny but one can tell that this author is more comfortable with the slapstick than the touching and the romance with Elizabeth is clunky and redundant. The portrayal of Rob's mental state and indecisiveness is well done - and definitely one of the book's strengths - but the plot is so transparent that you can stop half way through and know what's going to happen. No need to finish it.