5.0 out of 5 stars Enduring Classic
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is literary fiction in the truest sense. It is a novel about books - about one book in particular - and about the power of words to inspire, inflame and ultimately destroy.
10-year-old Daniel Sempere discovers `The Shadow of the Wind' in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and from that moment his life becomes entwined with and...
Published on 30 Sept. 2011 by A. G. Lockhart

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation?
I found this book disappointing. Though the evocation of the city, and the insights into Spanish politics were interesting, on the whole it seemed sloppily and speedily written and the translation equally so. There were several instances of characters using slang from the 1980s and 90s when they were talking in a post-war time period, and this sounded really odd. There...
Published on 10 Jan. 2013 by Rick O' Shea

‹ Previous | 169 70 7186 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars So near and yet....., 25 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
For me the sum of its parts do not add up to the intrigue of the novel's basic premise.

It's a good read, occasionally a riveting read, with some really interesting characters, plots and sub-plots and yet there is something intangible that prevents me from saying this was a truly great read. I felt somewhat let down at the end and I really can't explain why? Perhaps the blistering start to the novel raised my expectations above and beyond the realms of reason, but towards the end the twists and turns seemed formulaic even signposted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 18 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I was recommended this by a friend who said that this and "The Kite Runner" were her top reads this year. For me it didn't quite live up to The Kite Runner but it was a fabulously written, wonderfully translated and beautifully crafted book that I thoroughly enjoyed. The characters are credible and leave you wanting to get to know them more; the clever inter-weaving of the stories is done superbly. it could have been much more obvious but it is fresh and fascinating. I can't praise this highly enough. Definitely worth at least one read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Suprised, 5 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
This is not my typical book - far too cultured. It is based around a simple story stretched almost to breaking point. It ultimately rewarded my persistance but I would struglle to recommend it except to a few of my more interlectual friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the magic?, 12 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
If you are a serious reader then this is not the book for you. However if you think The Da Vinci Code is one of the great works of modern literature then you will probably find this equally as compelling. It is laboured and every page turns on cliched images and increasingly implausible but strangely fortuitous plot developments. Maybe it was because I had just finished "Middlesex" and it paled in comparison -- but I just couldn't find the magic in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Addictive! I love it!, 4 July 2007
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
It is very easy to step into "The Shadow of the Wind" and understand very quickly what the storyline is about. I enjoyed reading it, I was unable to put it down for a week. It is an excellent book by an excellent author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, 21 May 2005
Matt (Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
The fact that this book is translated is not obvious; still so much romance in Zafon's langauge is aparent. A fantastic book with so many interweaving stroylines that culminate in an imaginatve, twisty finale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Estupendo!, 12 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
The Shadow of the Wind is absolutely superb. I have read and re-read it and look forward to re-re-reading it in the future. If you like beautiful writing, atmosphere, history and well-written characters, you should like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and original, 4 May 2005
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
When I first picked up this book - recommeded to me by my friend, I was slightly suspect of the fictional story that she outlined (which I don't normally go for).
I got into it straight away and during the end I was trying to predict where the storyline was heading. It wraps up with a clever and implausible twist.
I turned off my phone at the weekend not to be disturbed - it was so gripping! - a definite and innovative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Jan. 2015
Very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct. 2014
Brilliant

‹ Previous | 169 70 7186 | Next ›

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Paperback - 5 Oct. 2005)