5.0 out of 5 stars Enduring Classic
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is literary fiction in the truest sense. It is a novel about books - about one book in particular - and about the power of words to inspire, inflame and ultimately destroy.
10-year-old Daniel Sempere discovers `The Shadow of the Wind' in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and from that moment his life becomes entwined with and...
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by A. G. Lockhart

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this book- I didn't.
I am aware that I am in the minority with what I am about to say here, this book has sold over seven million copies worldwide and is the second best selling book in Spanish history, so I could well be wrong, but I really struggled with this. I nearly gave up on it on several occasions, which I never do.

The story, and I can only give a really topline summary...
Published on 17 Jan 2010 by Mingo Bingo

‹ Previous | 169 70 7180 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars a nice read but not outstanding (for me), 6 Mar 2005
Mr. N. G. Wilson "Neil" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I was disappointed with this book. From time to time I buy a "best seller" assuming that thousands(?) of people can't be wrong.
I don't know whether it reads better in Spanish or Catalan but I couldn't feel much for the characters and the plot twists weren't surprising enough for me, I guess.
I have been to Barcelona a few times - a city definitely worth visiting today - a Catalan guy recommended this book when I asked but he was born in Barcelona. Maybe the ambience is more effective if you know intimately the city / spanish history. I could not relate to so many names of streets / areas apart from the well known tourist spots.
My advice is pick it up in a book shop and read the first few pages rather than buying it based on, for example, amazon's top 100 ;-) Beware of over enthusiatic reviews ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars suspense, 6 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
Loved it. Couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. Lot's of very strong emotions. Twists and turns. Fermin is the best character in the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Below average, 19 April 2007
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
This is, frankly, not very good. It's hard work to read, far too long for what story there is - it could have lost about a hundred pages without too much difficulty - and not particularly gripping. The plot is fairly interesting, if somewhat hackneyed, but the author doesn't handle the story very well. I suspect that if this book hadn't been picked out by Richard and Judy it would have submerged into obscurity fairly quickly.

On the plus side, I think the translator did a good job.

1.0 out of 5 stars For people who don't really like reading, 23 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I normally read the first page of a book in the shop and then decide to buy it or not. And the beginning of "The Shadow of the Wind" is promising. The author could have gone somewhere with it. But he chose not to. Shame that.
If you enjoy well written, thought through books you will find this a disappointment. If you are a Dan Brown sort of reader (nothing wrong with that) you will probably enjoy it.
Every time I see someone reading "The Shadow of the Wind" on the tube, I feel a bit sorry for them. I try to figure out which chapter they are reading at the moment and whether they have already hit the bottom of the puddle-deep storyline.
Don't buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST read this book, 27 May 2005
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I generally don't read books unless I think i'm going to enjoy them,with the Shadow of the Wind I made an exception and I'm really glad I did because it is most definetly one of the best books I've ever read.
The start is just so fabulous and intreging you immediatly connect with the main charachter Daniel , I was trying not to cry, the middle is just amazingly good full of comedy,romance and mystery and though some people I've spoken to say the ending is dissapointing the mystery unraveling us it leads up too the end is breathtaking.
I find it amazing that the Shadow of the Wind is a translation but it just proves how good the story is that it can be translated and still be absolutely brilliant.
Read it !!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and slow - a real disappointment, 15 April 2009
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I was so disappointed with this book. I bought it on a recommendation in a review of Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom, which is a great book. I took Shadow of the Wind on holiday and a book has to be really terrible to not be read on holiday, but I gave up half way through and gave it to the hotel desk to add to their collection. There is little story, no atmosphere, nothing in the way of character development. I won't be buying any more books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadow of the Wind, 20 Dec 2006
Carole Bull (Flitwick, Beds. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
This has to be the best book that I read in 2006. The story, the intrigue and the thriller element made it a book that was impossible to put down.

I am looking forward to Zafon's next book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overwritten and cliched., 19 Jan 2008
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
Fans of this book turn away now.When I was younger I'd stick with a book to the end, whether I was enjoying it or not,and then I realised that life is too short for that.This book is way too pleased with itself and in my opinion suffers from being badly overwritten.It is also over-emotional in a kind of cutesy,upmarket,Hollywood kind of way.The author all but lost me on page one when the kid asks his father if heaven was crying (at the death of his mother).Now that,to me,is the worst kind of cliche.Nevertheless, I persisted,but not for long,by page 19 I was beaten down by the endless similes and metaphors.Not for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars breaking wind, 14 May 2013
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
A great stratum of cliche runs clear through this book. The trouble with novels like this - and probably the reason they sell in such numbers - is that there is absolutely no subtlety or nuance about them. If every fascist had been as clear-cut as the villains here, then Franco would never have won. Totally unconvincing.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK as a holiday read, 29 July 2005
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I was disappointed in this book - it had been very highly recommended to me by a good friend, and the first few chapters seemed as though the book would live up to expectations. However, the plot - and its ending - was obvious from about a third of the way through. This made the book pointless since its twists and turns were designed to take the reader through a labyrinth from which the ending would emerge as a surprise. Without the surprise element, the plot just seemed inplausible. I did finish the book but only because I was lying on a beach on Greece with plenty of time to read pulp as well as good books.

‹ Previous | 169 70 7180 | Next ›

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Paperback - 5 Oct 2005)