on 11 October 2012
Perhaps it should have been given away by the title 'The Mughal Throne' but this book has a monarchical focus that detracts from it's ability to maintain a readers interest, or from their ability to remember much about the book. Having read it, I can tell you the succession of different rulers, some of their policies, but mostly about the campaigns and rebellions they fought.

Although a great deal of the book is talking about campaigns, I have little conceptual understanding of them because their is not a single map in the book, and my knowledge of Indian geography is not extensive enough that I understand what it is flee with an army from 'Random Indian Town X' to 'Random Indian Town Y'.

And disappointingly I still have very little understanding of what life was like under the Mughals for the people living there. I don't really even have a sense of what it was like for people living in the court. All told, I wouldn't recommend this book, but I don't know any better ones about that period of Indian history either.

I the upside, it has given me a better basis to begin reading around about Indian history: I understand who the key emporers were; why; and what the major changes during the reigns were. So that's the good bit.
on 14 February 2009
Very interestingly put together. I must say this book is an eye opener. There is a lot this book can teach us today. All that mughals did was to safeguard their own interest. Mughals were indeed the pioneers in rapid urbanisation in otherwise a predominant rural India. From literrary advancement to the life sciences reasearches, gardens to the most stunning mosques,forts and the Taj their contribution to India is immense. Thogh not very popular with masses they do actualy represent India to the world even now. Abrahm Early is a gifted book writer.
on 23 July 2009
This book is must read for those who are interested in Mughal India. Mughals loved India. They have decorated India. If world is fasinated about the India it is mainly due to Mughals.

I am in the middle of reading this book. It is like I am transported to Mughal era. All the glamour of empire as we know on the outset are inter woven with the pain and heart ache. None of Mughal Emperor faces plain sailing; they all went thru lots of emotions.

Facts are not just stated but are back-up by the quotation from other scholars or from the scriptures found from that era.

I would recommend this book without any reservation.
on 2 August 2010
A great read - an unexpected page-turner given the nature of the material, but he really brings the people and events into sharp and very human focus